Wheat-free recipes --- or paleo, etc.

Cricketgrrl

BTD Crown Jewel
Thought I'd start a new thread with recipes. I have no problems with being wheat-free and cooking meals/snacks, etc. but DH love, love, LOVES wheat-stuff. Yeah, he's soooo addicted to it.
He's kinda-sorta attempting to cut back on it, though.
To fill in those times where he desperately wants something that's bread-like, I hunted around for recipes.

I've baked the almond bread numerous times and next time will make a chocolate loaf out of it. Or choco muffins.

Also made the pancakes, which were excellent! Super easy, for both the aforementioned recipes.

Tomorrow night, will try the pizza one. Any of the comments are from the people who originally posted the recipes on various blogs/websites.

-------------------

Almond bread

This is currently our favorite bread. It reminds me of a nutty whole grain bread without the chewy things that catch in your teeth. It's adapted from Elana Amsterdam's recipe "Scrumptious Sandwich Bread". The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook has been a great source of inspiration. Her suggestion for storing grain-free bread works well also. When the bread is cooled, wrap in a paper towel, put in a plastic bag and refrigerate.

This is also my submission for this week's Fightback Friday, a real food web carnival at Food Renegade

3/4 cup Almond Butter (room temp.)
4 Large Eggs
1/2 cup Almond Flour
1/2 teas. Sea Salt
1/2 teas. Baking Soda

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper (I used a 4" x 8", but a bit smaller might work better).

In a small bowl, combine dry ingredients.

In a large mixing bowl, cream the almond butter with an electric mixer. Add eggs and mix. Add dry ingredients and mix until combined. Spoon into loaf pan.

Bake about 35 minutes until a toothpick test comes up dry. Cool and slice.

-------------------

Almond Flour Pancakes

I didn't have enough eggs this morning to make our usual waffle recipe, so I tried adding one half cup of yogurt. Wafflewise it was a disaster, but pancakewise, it was delicious. These taste just like the gluten laden version.

This post is linked to Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays at Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free, Grain-Free Tuesdays at HellaDelicious, and Tuesdays at the Table at All the Small Stuff.

Almond Flour Pancakes

1 cup Almond Flour
1/4 teas. Baking Soda
1/4 teas. Sea Salt
1/2 cup Yogurt
2 TBSP. Honey
3 Eggs
1/2 teas. Vanilla Extract
1/4 teas. Almond Extract
Oil for Frying

In a mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients, then mix in other ingredients until smooth. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add small drops of batter, making pancakes about 3 inches in diameter each. Cook until golden brown on both sides. Makes about 12 pancakes.

------------------

Garlic Cheddar Rolls
What do you get when you cross Elana Amsterdam's Classic Drop Biscuits with Red Lobster's Garlic Rolls? You get this yummy hybrid that goes great with a hot bowl of your favorite soup. This recipe was adapted from Elana's "The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook".

This recipe was originally posted over a year ago and much to my horror I realized I had forgotten something, so I stuck the recipe in my draft folder and forgot about it until today. We were craving these so I made a batch and have fixed the post. I apologize to anyone who had made the older version and was disappointed.

Garlic Cheddar Rolls

2 1/2 cups Almond Flour
1 teas. Sea Salt
1/2 teas. Baking Soda
1/4 cup Light Oil, such as Grapeseed
2 large Eggs
1/4 cup Yogurt
1 cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
1 teas. Lemon Juice
1 or 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
2 TBSP Butter, melted
Dried Parsley Flakes for tops

Oven 350 Degrees. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. I use an aluminum cookie sheet which keeps the bottoms from burning as quickly. If your using a darker type metal pan you may need a slightly lower temperature.

Mix almond flour, salt and baking soda in a large mixing bowl. In a small bowl combine oil, yogurt, eggs and lemon juice. Lightly beat with a fork. Stir into flour mixture until combined. Stir in shredded cheese. If you like your rolls very garlicky, add garlic now.

Drop dough by about 1/4 cup portions onto cookie sheet. Add garlic to butter and combine (if you haven't already put the garlic in the dough). With a pastry brush, brush the tops of the rolls with the melted butter. Sprinkle with a small amount of dried parsley, basil or oregano.

Bake about 15 to 20 minutes until lightly golden.

---------------

Pizza Crust at Last!

I have finally found a pizza crust that I love! I have been trying different recipes and variations for months now and tonight I hit the jackpot. This crust is quick to make, flavorful, and holds together like a real piece of pizza. I used Ina's Pesto, some leftover chicken pieces, red onion, fresh tomato and Parmesan cheese for toppings.

Pizza Crust

2 c. almond flour
2 eggs
1/4 tsp. Italian Seasoning
1/8 tsp. garlic powder (optional)
pinch of salt
1/2 c. shredded Parmesan cheese
4 tsp. olive oil

Combine all ingredients together and let rest 5 minutes. Stir dough, it should be as thick as cookie dough, if it isn't add more almond flour a tablespoon at a time until it is. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper (I tried to bake it without the parchment and ended up with a mess). Place half the dough in a mound on one half of the sheet and the rest of the dough in a mound on the other half. Cover with plastic wrap and using your hand or a small rolling pin push/roll the dough into a circle (mine were about 8 inches each). Bake in a 400 degree oven for 6-8 minutes or until barely brown. Add desired toppings and bake 5-10 more minutes until golden.

Note: I tried freezing some of these crusts and they turned out great. Just bake for the first 6 minutes then cool. Store in an airtight container. Remove and let thaw, then top and bake.

-----------------

Rustic Hazelnut Bread

I really missed the nutty taste of whole wheat bread, but with a gluten and yeast allergy finding an alternative seemed impossible. When my son had to go on a rotation diet, it gave me a chance to play with different nut flours (he cannot digest any grains). I was delighted to find that hazelnuts gave a similar flavor. I have been able to find hazelnut flour at www.nuts4u.com. When I'm in the Fort Worth area I pick up a few pounds of hazelnuts at the Nut Vending Co., store in the freezer, and them grind in a food processor as needed. You may wind up with a nut butter instead of flour, but it will still work fine. This recipe has been adapted from "Lois Lang's Luscious Bread" recipe in the bookBreaking the Vicious Cycle by Elaine Gottshcall.

2 1/2 cups Hazelnut Flour
1/4 cup Cooking Oil (Macademia Nut Oil is fabulous here)
1 cup Dry Curd Cottage Cheese or thick or dripped SCD Yogurt!
1 teas. Baking Soda
1/2 teas. Sea Salt (I use Redmonds)
3 Eggs

Oven 350 degrees.

Mix eggs and dry curd cottage cheese in a bowl. Once it's well blended, mix in the oil. Add baking soda and salt. Mix in flour or nut butter. Pour into a well greased or buttered loaf pan (about 4" X 8") or two 3" X 5" mini loaf pans. For a full size loaf I bake around 40-45 minutes and a little less for the smaller ones. A toothpick should come out clean when ready. Cool bread completely before slicing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cricketgrrl

BTD Crown Jewel
What's your fave juicing combo?!

I love carrots, beets, cucumber and a few grapes or apples or watermelon for a hint of sweetness. Sometimes I'll add a tiny bit of ginger or garlic. Sometimes I add spinach or kale.

Also, I use the Vita-Mix (smitten with that thing!) for making raw soups---tomato, carrot, tiny bit o' beet, fresh herbs from the garden when it's there (garlic chives, parsley, etc.), a bit of flaked yeast, bit of organic soy sauce, and buzz it until it's just lukewarm. Sometimes I add in raw cashews.

e.taylor

The Black Orlov
I'll have to dig out some of my good ones. I do love Elana!

For juicing my favorite is a large bunch of parsley, a celery heart, an english cucumber, one apple, 2 carrots and a lemon. Sometimes I'll throw in ginger or garlic too.

I have many wonderous vitamix concoctions! My favorite is a carrot cake shake-freshly juiced carrots, frozen bananas, handful of raw walnuts and pumpkin pie spice. Yummers!

Cricketgrrl

BTD Crown Jewel
Mmmm! That carrot cake smoothie sound great, e.!

I *adore* the Vita-mix and regularly have smoothies, too. A summer fave is 1/2 a banana, 1/2 cup of green grapes, pineapple juice and 1/2 cup of spinach. Oh, and a few ice cubes, too.

e.taylor

The Black Orlov
I had this on hand so I'll post it here now:
dairy free ice cream:

6 whole eggs, separated
pinch of salt
1/4 cup warmed honey (1/4 tsp of liquid stevia is what I use)
1 T. vanilla extract.

Beat egg whites and salt until stiff.
Keep beating and add yolks one at a time.
Continue to beat and add the honey and vanilla.

Pour half the mixture into an ice cream maker. (most ice cream makers will only hold half, but it will reduce as it chills.)

After the machine has run for about 10 minutes you should be able to add the rest.

Let run until it's the consistency of soft serve. About 30 minutes total.

EAT!

e.taylor

The Black Orlov
Jcent. I've made it coffee flavored using coffee a bit more honey. I add the coffee when I add the honey. I would think you could do the same if you made some chocolate. It would just take some experimentation!

We are doing paleo now and this thread is totally useful! I made almond flour pancakes this morning but it was a different recipe from Everyday Paleo cook book.

diamonds247

The Millenium Star
I am totally considering going wheat free, and I am scared at the same time! I am planning on reading wheat belly.

I just don't feel good and I am thinking this has something to do with it.

Question, do those of who who are wheat free cook separate meals for your families? IDK if I could get DH on board with this....

coconut flour? where has that been all my life?!

We have a lot of allergies and going wheat free was easy peasy for my husband and I. I don't feel a "need" to *make* the kids do it. They don't eat much wheat but when they do they know it is junk food (like COOKIES!!! or cake)

I have a problem with snacks. I seem to eat about 4 times a day and the mid afternoon meal / snack is the one I struggle with. What "go to" foods do you keep around?

I am totally uninspired with dinner anymore. If anyone has a weekly menu they'd like to share, I'll put up some of my old ones.. before we knew about all the allergies. I'm struggling with a weekly allergy free plan (and it has been a year already!)

jcent

BTD Crown Jewel
diamonds247 said:
I am totally considering going wheat free, and I am scared at the same time! I am planning on reading wheat belly.

Question, do those of who who are wheat free cook separate meals for your families? IDK if I could get DH on board with this....
We are all wheat free, I don't let it in the house. DH is fine with it, but he *does* eat wheat outside...like cookies at work or something...

I have not cooked any separate meals for my family so far. Tonight I am making steak soft tacos and I will use Gfree tortillas for mine even though I shouldn't really have those, but I also bought some whole wheat tortillas for my hubby and possibly kids if they prefer that.

I have only been keeping Gfree bread in the house the last week or so, so when I make a sandwich for the kids, it has been with that bread. I have not been eating any of it though and have not had any problems not eating bread.

e.taylor

The Black Orlov
we're all gf in our house. we're also mostly grain free. kiddos will have corn or rice on occasion. when we eat over at my extended families house, I'll bring something like pasta salad if asked and just make it with corn pasta-which everyone adores.

e.taylor

The Black Orlov
absolutely brilliant. almost like wheat. not mushy like rice pasta. I was terrified when I first ate it because I thought that they had given me wheat!

trader joes has it for something like $1.39 a pound. I have some specialty shapes that were more expensive, but honestly, it's the only gf pasta I'd ever buy/eat. I don't really do grains, but if I do it's gotta count!

Cricketgrrl

BTD Crown Jewel
diamonds247 said:

Oh, yeah. Do read Wheat Belly! The science behind modern wheat's effects on us is just plain, downright spooky... It will help you to keep away from wheat / grains...

I check his blog on a daily basis as well. He adds recipes, testimonials, updates on info regularly. It's wheatbellyblog.com.

If DH happens to like one of my concoctions, then he'll eat it. If he's not in the mood to be adventuresome (for him, that is. LOL!) then I'll make something else for him. I've been doing this for years, and ever so slowly, he's been making micro changes to what he eats.

jcent

BTD Crown Jewel
Yes, corn pasta is soooo much better than rice pasta. Quinoa pasta also doesn't go muchy, and is good if you like a more al dente pasta.