what's for supper tonight?

poppyseed

The Florentine Diamond
toutlemonde said:
We are having homemade dumplings. It's super easy and we like to set up a production line on Sunday afternoons, where my husband would do the dumpling mix and put them in the dumpling wrapper (pre-made ones bought from the supermarket - you can make them at home but it's very very fiddly), and I would wrap them. They freeze very well and are a good standby for week nights.

A good dumpling recipe can be found here: http://www.abc.net.au/tv/pohskitchen/stories/s3039717.htm

You can find garlic chives in Asian grocery stores, and a simple dipping sauce we like is just mixing 2 Tb soy sauce with 1 Tb rice vinegar, and a small amount of sambal oelek to taste.
I want to come to your house for dinner!

Last edited by a moderator:
Chicken casserole
consisting of Cream of Mushroom soup, macaroni elbows, chicken breast, pimentoes, milk and chiken broth and cheese. super easy and yummy. Usually we eat healthier but sometimes you need a comfort food night lol

Dana ♥

The Centenary Diamond
between the heat, and the 40lbs of Zaycon Foods Chicken (so much better than the frozen chicken we had been getting!) we picked up a little while back, we're having a lot of slow-cooker/crock-pot nights. a little of this, a little of that... trying to use up what we've got in the pantry and freezer, so no real recipe to speak of!

we've done a fair bit of experimenting, but thankfully it's all been pretty tasty.

in summer, y'all, remember crock pots are your friends! (pressure cookers, too, if you have 'em.)

Yes they are Dana, even with central air, the stove heats the living room/kitchen up so much. And now that I am sensitive to the heat, even 2 degrees warmer affects me.

Gotta go check out that chicken.

Dana ♥

The Centenary Diamond
not to threadjack or anything, but yes. the back of the stove is on the other side of the wall from my desk, and i can SO tell when the oven's on. it's just too hot for it. we've got a countertop/convection oven that we can, in a pinch, sit out on the porch if we absolutely must bake something in the summer... but anything to avoid heating up the kitchen is totally the way to go!

I love a good pressure cooker. Not many people use them though I've noticed. My Grandmother taught me how to make roast beef in in a pressure and I've never looked back. AMAZING!

RooGirl

BTD Crown Jewel
Olivejuice said:
I love a good pressure cooker. Not many people use them though I've noticed. My Grandmother taught me how to make roast beef in in a pressure and I've never looked back. AMAZING!
I love a pressure cooker too Olive... I use one about twice a month for just as you said roast beef or pork.... delicious...

.... Tonight will probably be pizza and salad from the local pizza place... I'm totally not cooking tonight....

Dana ♥

The Centenary Diamond
pressure cookers are amazing! and you can go from a frozen roast, to dinner on the table in, like, six hours.

tonight it's slow-cooker chicken... left unsauced because the three of us like different sauces.

Dana ♥

The Centenary Diamond
no, sorry, it's not a recipe! that's just a link to where we get really amazing chicken *from*

there is no recipe! it's just... dump whatever you've got handy in the crock pot. :p i think today we had half a can of cream of something soup, and added that with a leetle bit of water. cooked on high for 4 hours. then shred, and add whichever sauce.

crock pots are easy.

Lol I hold my crockpot on a pedestal. When I pull it out it sings to me. Magical really lol. Any kinda chicken in the crock pot is basically amazing.

That place is where you order your chicken from?? Are the prices decent. I know I could register but i hate registering for nothin :-/ but we do eat quite a bit of chicken.

RooGirl

BTD Crown Jewel
Dana ♥ said:
no, sorry, it's not a recipe! that's just a link to where we get really amazing chicken *from*

there is no recipe! it's just... dump whatever you've got handy in the crock pot. :p i think today we had half a can of cream of something soup, and added that with a leetle bit of water. cooked on high for 4 hours. then shred, and add whichever sauce.

crock pots are easy.
Dana... I'm totally going to give this a try... I've never done chicken believe it or not but this sounds amazing...

Dana ♥

The Centenary Diamond
MissMegan90 said:
Lol I hold my crockpot on a pedestal. When I pull it out it sings to me. Magical really lol. Any kinda chicken in the crock pot is basically amazing.

That place is where you order your chicken from?? Are the prices decent. I know I could register but i hate registering for nothin :-/ but we do eat quite a bit of chicken.
yes. the prices are roughly the same as the frozen chicken boneless/skinless bags at Walmart... which are about the cheapest around.
but the quality (and taste/texture) is sooo much better. now, they do sell in, like, 40-pound boxes. so if you don't have a deep freezer, you may need to go in on a box with a friend or neighbour. but we have a deep freezer, and i bought two boxes from the next delivery. we ran out of chicken a little over a month ago from the last delivery... it's about every six months.

it's fresh, not frozen, and the pieces are HUGE. seriously, sometimes i have to cut them smaller to make them fit in the freezer bags. i know i sound like i'm shilling for this place, but i'm really not. it's where we buy our beef and chicken from.

.... and for easy, but amazing, crock pot recipes? i got my husband hooked on this blog:
(here's a link to some of her most popular crock pot meals)
http://www.southernplate.com/2011/08/13slowcooker.html

my husband's favourite crock pot meal is our super-easy-fauxgiving:
put chicken (frozen or not) and a large can (or two small cans) of cream of something in the crock pot (4 hours on high, 8 hours on low - that's the general rule of thumb for crock pot cooking)
remove it to a plate and shred into bite-sized pieces, then back in the crock pot. throw in whatever leftover veggies are handy, or a can or two of mixed veggies. got a little leftover canned pumpkin? it goes in, too. just a little of whatever. last time i threw in about half a cup of leftover Chinese-takeout plain rice, too. stir it around. then take a box or two of Stove-Top, and pour the dry mix in, and stir it all around, and then add in water per the directions, and give it another stir.

turn the crock pot to low and let it sit for about half an hour, maybe a little longer if your veggies were frozen.

it's like day-after-Thanksgiving leftovers, but without all the work.

my directions make it sound a lot more complicated than it really is. :p

Dana ♥

The Centenary Diamond
roogirl said:
Yup that sounds AMAZING!!!!
it's a little salty for me (i don't put salt on anything, though), and not the healthiest thing in the world...
but for an occasional, super easy comfort food meal? you really just can't beat it. and if you wanted to use turkey instead of chicken, for more fauxgiving-ness, that works, too.
you could even make some cranberry jell-o for dessert, if you wanted the full Thanksgiving experience. without the stress and fuss of a full-on Thanksgiving dinner. not that we'd discussed doing that last year or anything...

sure you can change it up and use only fresh, homemade, non-prepackaged things. it's really not hard to make homemade stuffing, for example. but part of the wonder of a crockpot is that you can start supper before you go to work and come home to either something that's done, or will be with about another half hour's time.
and it's really, really hard to mess anything up.

and in the middle of summer heat, when you want home cooked food but don't wanna heat up the oven? make a big pot of something in the crock pot, and you can nuke the leftovers for a couple of days.