what's for supper tonight?

I have no idea. I'm up to my elbows in spackle. DH and DD went to get another bucket and they are bringing me back some food.

Last edited by a moderator:
Leftovers from last night's Chicken Pot Pie Soup. Or maybe DH will have that while I revisit the leftover spicy grape tomato sauce and sprouted grain pasta that I cooked for myself the previous night.

Take your pick as I have been cooking today since I am leaving town for a few days. There is lasagna, pork chops with scalloped potatoes, meatloaf, or porterhouse steaks and the fixing. Don't want the menfolks to starve ~Red

Cricketgrrl

BTD Crown Jewel
Pot roast that's been in the crockpot.... with onions, carrots, celery and then mashed potatoes. Smells soooo good! I'm sooo hungry!

MissCassie

The Pink Orchid
Well, tonight was Thai style coconut chicken over jasmine rice. Easy to make with moderate (20-30 minutes)of prep time. Super tasty, one of my favorite meals to make. Bonus is that hubby really likes it too.

A left over pork tenderloin that I had frozen and cryo vacked, roasted califlower, roasted baby red potatoes with a left over pot roast gravey from last night, and some chewed on frozen pumpkin cheese cake pieces we couldn't finish last night so I just re froze them. I hope I remember what chewed on piece goes to who, lol. We like our cheese cake frozen, kinda odd I know, but it takes longer to eat that way lol
Not a dinner for company, but we will be pretty happy!

Tonight we had leek and celery soup with sandwiches. I attended a wonderful dinner with wine tasting last month and just had to get the recipe for the soup. I do not have vegetable soup stock lying around so I improvised and it was delicious!This makes about 6 bowls of soup.

Ingredients:

4 cups leeks (white and light green portions) chopped
4 cups celery chopped
3 medium sized peeled potatoes
1 teaspoon fresh chopped garlic
3 tablespoons butter
5 cups water
5 packets Swansons brand condensed vegetable broth
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon or nutmeg
chopped green onions or chives for garnish

In large soup pot melt butter, add leeks, celery and garlic. Cook on medium high for 15 to 20 minutes until leeks are transparent.

Add water and potatoes and simmer on medium for about 45 minutes until all vegetables are soft.

Add condensed vegetable broth and cinnamon. Simmer an additional 5 minutes.

Put through food processor or blender until smooth and creamy.

Garnish with green onions. Serve with fresh bread or sandwiches.

Tonight will be Swai Fillets with a side of steamed mixed veggies and baked potatoes topped with "homemade" topping. My mother's family used to eat baked potatoes with this topping as a meal when she was a kid in Germany. She said it's considered "pauper's food"...I consider it delicious!

Baked potato topping:
Plain greek yogurt - I usually make 1/2 of the bigger tub at once
Salt - to taste
Chives - I use one of the fresh packs you can buy with the salad stuff
Green onion - 3-4 stalks

Chop chives and green onions into small pieces, mix into greek yogurt in a bowl, stir in salt to taste. Cut open baked potatoes and top with a tablespoon or two of the mix!

We are having homemade dumplings. It's super easy and we like to set up a production line on Sunday afternoons, where my husband would do the dumpling mix and put them in the dumpling wrapper (pre-made ones bought from the supermarket - you can make them at home but it's very very fiddly), and I would wrap them. They freeze very well and are a good standby for week nights.

A good dumpling recipe can be found here: http://www.abc.net.au/tv/pohskitchen/stories/s3039717.htm

You can find garlic chives in Asian grocery stores, and a simple dipping sauce we like is just mixing 2 Tb soy sauce with 1 Tb rice vinegar, and a small amount of sambal oelek to taste.