what's for supper tonight?

cspoti

Connoisseur
Oh god!! I have to call my mom. Did your do fresh toasted peanuts?? I can't pick a good yucca to save my life!

I do bananas and tapioca pearls.

cspoti

Connoisseur
jewelle said:
Thanks for the recipe Bling! Now, what is "sweet rice"?

Okay, for dinner tonight I made home made tomato soup (I hate typical tomato soup,btw,ick) It was really YUMMY! To go with, I made whole wheat tortilla "grilled cheese". I used swiss cheese and cut them into triangles.

Also had a quinoa, bean and corn side dish.

Yummy dinner....will make this one more often!
I love tomato soup and grilled cheese, so yummy and filling on a cold rainy day!!

What is quinoa?

Oh and sweet rice can be found in the rice section of asian stores, usually labeled "Sweet Rice, Thai" or some variation of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, tell me about some of the recipes with bananas.(adding them to the rice/coconut milk dessert,etc) I LOVE bananas.

Thanks for the info! I'm off to one of our asian markets tomorrow!

Quinoa...I'm no good at explaining it,lol. It is like rice, or a grain, sort of. It has a slight crunch to it when cooked and can be used in place of rice or cous cous in any dish. Very good for you. I love it!

Here ya go....I found a good webpage that tells all about it

All about Quinoa

cspoti

Connoisseur
unsalted and uncooked peanuts or other favorite non-salted nuts
4-6 bannans sliced
1 cup of water
2 cups of coconut milk
3 TBSP of tapioca pearls (I like the small colorful ones)
1 pandan leaf or 1 tsp of vanilla

Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add nuts and stir constantly 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden.

Slice bananas in half lengthways, then cut the pieces

Combine coconut milk, water, sugar, and pandan leaf or 1tsp of vanilla in a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the sugar dissolves. Add the bananas and tapioca pearls. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring often, for 5 to 7 minutes more, or until the tapioca pearls turn translucent.

Remove the pan from the heat. Sprinkle some of the nuts over top before serving.

Blingaholic

BTD Crown Jewel
ahhhhh!!!! my mom made something like that, too, when i was growing up
she doesn't anymore, as my dad is diabetic and he can't eat it. do you make the above recipe using chuoi cao, especially when they're ripe ripe ripe?

for the others reading, "chuoi cao" are bananas and look itty bitty, no more than 3" - 4" long? you'll find them in asian markets, too! (i remember i asked my mom why they're called "cao" when they're so small-
)

they would be the smallest ones pictured

wench34 said:
Tonight *FRIDAY* I am cooking fresh Alaskan sockeye salmon fillet with dill, lemon and sea salt, caesar salad, and veggies. DH is so tired from getting back from DC, I just may forgo the veggies as he is sleeping in his chair!
Oooh Wenchie- I LOVE salmon!! How do you prepare it?

cspoti

Connoisseur
Krupp - it can be made without the nuts and still taste great.

Bling - I use the plain 'ol bananas unless I am at the asian market and know I will be making a dessert then I will buy the small ones. Have you ever tried plantains in any of these desserts?

ebedner

The Millenium Star
I had a hankering for the plantains my Mom used to make... She would slice them in half, and then in half lengthwise, wrap them in lumpia wrappers and fry them.

HOLY CRAP those were good. I can't find a plantain in this town to save my life though!!

cspoti said:
unsalted and uncooked peanuts or other favorite non-salted nuts
4-6 bannans sliced
1 cup of water
2 cups of coconut milk
3 TBSP of tapioca pearls (I like the small colorful ones)
1 pandan leaf or 1 tsp of vanilla

Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add nuts and stir constantly 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden.

Slice bananas in half lengthways, then cut the pieces

Combine coconut milk, water, sugar, and pandan leaf or 1tsp of vanilla in a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the sugar dissolves. Add the bananas and tapioca pearls. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring often, for 5 to 7 minutes more, or until the tapioca pearls turn translucent.

Remove the pan from the heat. Sprinkle some of the nuts over top before serving.
I was getting ready to make this....how much sugar does it take? I will use Agave sweetener but need some type of meas to go by.

Thanks!!!! Can't wait to try it.

Never mind!LOL I just added until I thought it was sweet enough.

YUM!!! It is very good!

I'm also making the sweet rice/corn pudding one too. That one is not done yet.

BUT, I'm not making all sweets...I'm also making a made from scratch chicken vegetable soup with barley for dinner.

Blingaholic

BTD Crown Jewel

oooh, ebedner, i am now craving those plantains in lumpia wrappers, too
my ex's best friend is cambodian and at every get together, there would be a big ol' plate of those...and i'd be right next to them

maryl

Connoisseur
Okay, so I need to find some time to make all these yummy recipes.

I did have some yummy dim sum today!

Blingaholic

BTD Crown Jewel
how was dinner, jewelle? did the sweet rice/corn pudding come out ok?

dinner was ginger and sesame soy salmon with garlicky steamed brocolli and rice. it was delish!

I made some beef ribs (those small cross ribs) in a spicy brown sauce, with rice. I'm in the mode for comfort food.....tomorrow I'm making some bbq chicken breasts, they are Arabic Shish Taouk, with rice and salad. really yummy.

ebedner

The Millenium Star
oooh, ebedner, i am now craving those plantains in lumpia wrappers, too
my ex's best friend is cambodian and at every get together, there would be a big ol' plate of those...and i'd be right next to them
Yum! That's where I'd be too!
My Mom is Filipino - she makes some goooood sweet rice!