what's for supper tonight?

I understand the rice and coconut milk for the pudding part, but where does the corn come in? Could this be considered not only a dessert, but also a vegetable?

Blingaholic

BTD Crown Jewel
noobs, i know what she's talking about!! it's an asian dessert. cspoti, that was the first thing i ever learned how to make from my momma. do you use fresh corn? i just buy the creamed corn in a can

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought maybe it was asian. Yum! Okay, I gotta have some recipes over here....come on with em already!

cspoti, bling somebody!

Blingaholic

BTD Crown Jewel
here's how i make it:

Ingredients

1 cup uncooked sweet rice
1 can of coconut milk
3 cans of creamed corn
2-3 pandan leaves (available in asian markets)
8-10 tbsp sugar, depending on how sweet you like it

Preparation

1) Soak the sweet rice in water overnight.

2) Separate 2-3 pandan leaves and wash off by running cold water over them. Bundle them together by tying them in a knot.

3) Pour sweet rice into a medium saucepan and add bundle of pandan leaves. Add more water til pan is half way full.

4) Cook rice on high heat til boiling.

5) Lower heat to low and cover and cook til the sweet rice becomes soft and mushy**, stirring occassionally to keep from burning the bottom. (**you can tell b/c the grain of rice isn't whole anymore, or practically no water left)

6) Remove and discard bundle of pandan leaves. Transfer rice into a large pot and add the corn, turning the heat to medium-low. (i suggest filling the saucepan with water and letting it sit in the sink or you'll be scrubbing that sucker for HOURS later)

7) Add the coconut milk to the mixture and stir to mix well.

8) Add 8-10 Tbsp of sugar, depending on how sweet you like your desserts, stirring frequently to dissolve sugar.

9) Bring the mixture to a gentle boil, then remove from heat.

To Serve

Can be served warm or refrigerate overnight to serve chilled.

Blingaholic

BTD Crown Jewel
you could try it without the corn. i've never made it without corn before, though, b/c the recipe is specifically to showcase the corn.

my mom also has a pudding recipe that uses sweet potatoes and yams...which you'd probably find troubling as well LOL

OH NOOOO!! I love sweet tater pudding! Does she put those mini marshmellows on top, too? (could just be a southern thang)

rtjanelli

BTD Crown Jewel
Tonight *FRIDAY* I am cooking fresh Alaskan sockeye salmon fillet with dill, lemon and sea salt, caesar salad, and veggies. DH is so tired from getting back from DC, I just may forgo the veggies as he is sleeping in his chair!

Thanks for the recipe Bling! Now, what is "sweet rice"?

Okay, for dinner tonight I made home made tomato soup (I hate typical tomato soup,btw,ick) It was really YUMMY! To go with, I made whole wheat tortilla "grilled cheese". I used swiss cheese and cut them into triangles.

Also had a quinoa, bean and corn side dish.

Yummy dinner....will make this one more often!

I was just looking that up,lol!

Pandan is a herbaceous tropical plant with long green leaves. In Southeast Asia, pandan leaves are used to lend a unique taste and aroma to many Thai desserts and some drinks. Pandan leaves can also be used to wrap savory foods, such as chicken (see recipe links below). Pandan paste is used in cakes and desserts, as it is sweet and imbues foods with a bright green color. It can be purchased as a ready-to-use paste in Asian specialty stores. If purchased fresh, pandan leaves should be pounded into a paste for use in desserts, adding water sparingly.

Okay, bling, is my dessert gonna be bright green,ROFL!!!! I was picturing creamy white/yellow.

What if I can't find the leaves but can find the paste. How would I use that...and how much?

cspoti

Connoisseur
I also made sweet rice and corn pudding with coconut milk for dessert.
It's real simple and versatile. I make it in small quanitites

I boil 1/2 cup of sweet rice in 3cups of water
add sugar - till it's sweet enough for your liking
stiring constantly - it will thicken up
Then I add (corn, black eyed peas or bananas)
Once tender I add a teaspon of vanilla and coconut milk (about a cup) and viola you have "Che"

Another way you can serve this is to make the rice and coconut base serve it with some sweet juicy mangos...yum!

Blingaholic

BTD Crown Jewel
jewelle said:
Okay, bling, is my dessert gonna be bright green,ROFL!!!! I was picturing creamy white/yellow.

What if I can't find the leaves but can find the paste. How would I use that...and how much?

you'll be able to find the leaves. they're usually in the freezer. the paste will make your dessert green.
the leaves, if you cook it with the rice, will just give it a nice aroma.

cspoti

Connoisseur
bling I read your recipe, sounds yummy!! You're going old school with the soaking over night!!

I used frozen corn, that's what I had on hand but fresh yellow corn is the best!

My mom also makes something simila with yucca