The Amora Blog...the Amora Gem Chapter

The lack of updates on the restocking schedule since yesterday has been very misleading. :(

They should update it daily now IMO. It only takes a second. Now that production is going, and they have been planning to stock at least once if not more times per week, they should be able to update daily to let people know where production for sizes and cuts are either in production, ship to grading, returning back from grading or to be put in stock within 1 or 2 days. This information should be readily available to them.

First, the restock was to be the 27th or 28th, then it was presumably the 30th and that didn't happen either. I have lingered over the inventory page all week so I didn't miss my 1 shot to get the 8mm size I have been waiting for since February to get for my anniversary a week from Tuesday and now I have wasted basically an entire week refreshing the page while at work so I didn't miss my chance. Frustrating. It's within grasp, but I keep chasing that carrot (pun intended) dangling in front of me and am still empty handed a little over a week away from my anniversary.

They should update it daily now IMO. It only takes a second. Now that production is going, and they have been planning to stock at least once if not more times per week, they should be able to update daily to let people know where production for sizes and cuts are either in production, ship to grading, returning back from grading or to be put in stock within 1 or 2 days. This information should be readily available to them.

First, the restock was to be the 27th or 28th, then it was presumably the 30th and that didn't happen either. I have lingered over the inventory page all week so I didn't miss my 1 shot to get the 8mm size I have been waiting for since February to get for my anniversary a week from Tuesday and now I have wasted basically an entire week refreshing the page while at work so I didn't miss my chance. Frustrating. It's within grasp, but I keep chasing that carrot (pun intended) dangling in front of me and am still empty handed a little over a week away from my anniversary.
I absolutely agree with you. If they know there is going to be no restock, just update the darn restocking schedules to save their customers the inconvenience and the stress of checking back every minute. I understand delays happen but saying that you're going to deliver something on a certain date and then not even informing of a delay has been very frustrating.

talk-admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all!
Happy Friday! We've officially completed our first Soaring Hearts Amoras with grading results, so let's get underway!

Amora Updates:

Soaring Hearts - First Soaring Hearts H&A ready for sale! After a lot of investment in R&D and new tooling and many months of effort and testing, we've now got our first 8mm Soaring Hearts finished, graded and will be out for sale tomorrow.

Let's start with the very first one and it's grading report:

As it worked out, the first Soaring Hearts were actually certed on July 4th. Appropriate since Amoras are 100% cut in the USA, which is very unusual relative to most other gems.

The lab uses a laser system to do a lot of the grading work and informed us that the Soaring Hearts are the very best Amoras we've ever produced based on the laser scoring.
In fact they ran the first one three times to double check because the score was so high.

More importantly, I asked them for their 'aesthetic' feedback and they indicated that in their opinion the Soaring Hearts is definitely superior to the original Ultra visually. This is the same as the other testing we have done but was nice to hear it from the diamond grading lab as well.

I had hoped to have photos and video ready to show you this week. However, it turned out our photo studio is closed for their summer vacation until the 11th...so the photos and videos will not be available until roughly the 15th. I'll post them on the boards once we have them as well as have them in the next blog update.

Thus, let's move on briefly to the more detailed highlights of the new Soaring Hearts:
1 - New Nano-metric polishing
2 - 64 facet vertical girdle - the same as done on H&A diamonds.
3 - TIGER micron-level precision cutting. We've improved the precision over the previous TIGER cut Ultras.

The grading lab did take a high-res (60x) photo so I could show the new nano-metric polish, so here's a zoomed in look of the crown with the new polish:

As you can see, even at 60X there's no polish lines. This is due to the nano-metric polish. For reference, the faint long white lines are the pavilion facets reflecting in.

The new 64 facet girdle is done the same way as H&A diamonds (vertical faceting). The girdle faceting is, relatively speaking, an extremely costly process - it takes up 1/3 of the cutting time to do 4% of the stone. In addition, you go from dealing with 57 facets to 57 + 64 = 121 facets!

This is why Moissanite, CZ, etc. all don't bother to do the faceted girdles as it's too costly. Instead it is simply polished smooth.

However, this also sets H&A diamonds and Amora Soaring Hearts apart from every other option, because of the extra work involved. It's easy to see if you have a high value gem - just look at the girdle.

Finally, with all the improvements we've made to TIGER we've got the most precise Amora gems ever made.

Soaring Hearts - upcoming production: We'll be increasing production of the Soaring Hearts and should have 7mm - 9mm over the next two weeks, along with 6.5mm after that.
All of July and likely well beyond will be focused entirely on Soaring Hearts production as we have a very long waiting list to catch up on.

Why having a 64 facet girdle is important - CA jeweler arrested for switching diamonds for moissanite:

Related to the potential importance of having a 64 faceted girdle - you can easily see if you have your Amora back after setting. In the case below, a jeweler swapped out customers diamonds with Moissanite. Moissanite of course has a polished girdle, not faceted so at least in the case of an Amora Soaring Hearts being swapped out, it's easy to prove if your girdle goes from 64 facets to polished smooth...the stone has been swapped.

California Jeweler Arrested for Alleged Stone Switch | JCK

TIGER Robot is now multi- patent-pending! Our first and second patent app for TIGER is underway with the US patent office. That officially makes our TIGER robot not just 'patent-pending' but now 'multi-patent-pending'!

15/177,721
15/201,991
This is for the dual-phase cutting process we developed to obtain micron-level precision, and a second cutting related process.

Fancy cuts, including Krupps: Right now we are only going to focus on expanding production with the Soaring Hearts. We did find some nice rough for the Krupps cut while prepping Soaring Hearts material, so the Krupps will likely be the first Fancy cut to start production in the future.
However, no ETA until we have significantly met demand for the Soaring Hearts.

BTD News:

New website nearly ready: We've been continuing to work on our new website and it's effectively done. However, since we're just now launching the Soaring Hearts after months of no production, we will not be switching to the new site until things are calm and smooth for a bit.
I'll show screenshots in one of the next few updates, but the big improvements besides a more refined looking site include:

1 - Earring wizard - This will walk you through the process of selecting a pair of Amoras from inventory, selecting a matching earring setting and then showing the completed earring set and adding it to cart.
You can also go back and change stones, settings, etc. as needed.
Basically it's just a much friendlier process for purchasing earrings, while letting you have the ability to completely customize the earrings.

2 - Ring Wizard - similar to the Earring Wizard but for Rings. It walks you through selecting an Amora, then shows you just the suitable rings for that shape and size center stone.
You can then select the ring mounting, see the total price and add to cart.

3 - Ability to select and compare various Amoras side by side - this of course is looking at a future where we have a lot more Amora's produced, but you'll be able to select multiple Amoras of interest and then view them in a direct comparison to decide.

BTD will soon accept BitCoin: We are planning to start accepting BitCoin for payment this Fall. Bitcoin is a digital currency, with a lot of very good features for fraud protection and less transaction cost than taking Visa/MC, etc.
We've been hit with multiple fraud issues from the Takara Diamonds esp, so moving to a currency with native fraud protection is very attractive, and will allow customers globally even more flexibility for how to purchase.

Misc:

Hoverboard - for real: If you want to see how the future is unfolding, here's a video of what is the first true 'hoverboard' flying around in France. Apparently it can go up to 55MPH!

That's it for this month's update! We've got a big month ahead now that production is fully underway with sellable inventory.
Next month we'll definitely have more info such as pro photos, videos, etc. for the Soaring Hearts.
In the interim, have a great weekend and see you end of the month!
Less

So the stones available today will be sold on the existing site?

Hi all!
Happy Friday! We've officially completed our first Soaring Hearts Amoras with grading results, so let's get underway!

Amora Updates:

Soaring Hearts - First Soaring Hearts H&A ready for sale! After a lot of investment in R&D and new tooling and many months of effort and testing, we've now got our first 8mm Soaring Hearts finished, graded and will be out for sale tomorrow.

Let's start with the very first one and it's grading report:

As it worked out, the first Soaring Hearts were actually certed on July 4th. Appropriate since Amoras are 100% cut in the USA, which is very unusual relative to most other gems.

The lab uses a laser system to do a lot of the grading work and informed us that the Soaring Hearts are the very best Amoras we've ever produced based on the laser scoring.
In fact they ran the first one three times to double check because the score was so high.

More importantly, I asked them for their 'aesthetic' feedback and they indicated that in their opinion the Soaring Hearts is definitely superior to the original Ultra visually. This is the same as the other testing we have done but was nice to hear it from the diamond grading lab as well.

I had hoped to have photos and video ready to show you this week. However, it turned out our photo studio is closed for their summer vacation until the 11th...so the photos and videos will not be available until roughly the 15th. I'll post them on the boards once we have them as well as have them in the next blog update.

Thus, let's move on briefly to the more detailed highlights of the new Soaring Hearts:
1 - New Nano-metric polishing
2 - 64 facet vertical girdle - the same as done on H&A diamonds.
3 - TIGER micron-level precision cutting. We've improved the precision over the previous TIGER cut Ultras.

The grading lab did take a high-res (60x) photo so I could show the new nano-metric polish, so here's a zoomed in look of the crown with the new polish:

As you can see, even at 60X there's no polish lines. This is due to the nano-metric polish. For reference, the faint long white lines are the pavilion facets reflecting in.

The new 64 facet girdle is done the same way as H&A diamonds (vertical faceting). The girdle faceting is, relatively speaking, an extremely costly process - it takes up 1/3 of the cutting time to do 4% of the stone. In addition, you go from dealing with 57 facets to 57 + 64 = 121 facets!

This is why Moissanite, CZ, etc. all don't bother to do the faceted girdles as it's too costly. Instead it is simply polished smooth.

However, this also sets H&A diamonds and Amora Soaring Hearts apart from every other option, because of the extra work involved. It's easy to see if you have a high value gem - just look at the girdle.

Finally, with all the improvements we've made to TIGER we've got the most precise Amora gems ever made.

Soaring Hearts - upcoming production: We'll be increasing production of the Soaring Hearts and should have 7mm - 9mm over the next two weeks, along with 6.5mm after that.
All of July and likely well beyond will be focused entirely on Soaring Hearts production as we have a very long waiting list to catch up on.

Why having a 64 facet girdle is important - CA jeweler arrested for switching diamonds for moissanite:

Related to the potential importance of having a 64 faceted girdle - you can easily see if you have your Amora back after setting. In the case below, a jeweler swapped out customers diamonds with Moissanite. Moissanite of course has a polished girdle, not faceted so at least in the case of an Amora Soaring Hearts being swapped out, it's easy to prove if your girdle goes from 64 facets to polished smooth...the stone has been swapped.

California Jeweler Arrested for Alleged Stone Switch | JCK

TIGER Robot is now multi- patent-pending! Our first and second patent app for TIGER is underway with the US patent office. That officially makes our TIGER robot not just 'patent-pending' but now 'multi-patent-pending'!

15/177,721
15/201,991
This is for the dual-phase cutting process we developed to obtain micron-level precision, and a second cutting related process.

Fancy cuts, including Krupps: Right now we are only going to focus on expanding production with the Soaring Hearts. We did find some nice rough for the Krupps cut while prepping Soaring Hearts material, so the Krupps will likely be the first Fancy cut to start production in the future.
However, no ETA until we have significantly met demand for the Soaring Hearts.

BTD News:

New website nearly ready: We've been continuing to work on our new website and it's effectively done. However, since we're just now launching the Soaring Hearts after months of no production, we will not be switching to the new site until things are calm and smooth for a bit.
I'll show screenshots in one of the next few updates, but the big improvements besides a more refined looking site include:

1 - Earring wizard - This will walk you through the process of selecting a pair of Amoras from inventory, selecting a matching earring setting and then showing the completed earring set and adding it to cart.
You can also go back and change stones, settings, etc. as needed.
Basically it's just a much friendlier process for purchasing earrings, while letting you have the ability to completely customize the earrings.

2 - Ring Wizard - similar to the Earring Wizard but for Rings. It walks you through selecting an Amora, then shows you just the suitable rings for that shape and size center stone.
You can then select the ring mounting, see the total price and add to cart.

3 - Ability to select and compare various Amoras side by side - this of course is looking at a future where we have a lot more Amora's produced, but you'll be able to select multiple Amoras of interest and then view them in a direct comparison to decide.

BTD will soon accept BitCoin: We are planning to start accepting BitCoin for payment this Fall. Bitcoin is a digital currency, with a lot of very good features for fraud protection and less transaction cost than taking Visa/MC, etc.
We've been hit with multiple fraud issues from the Takara Diamonds esp, so moving to a currency with native fraud protection is very attractive, and will allow customers globally even more flexibility for how to purchase.

Misc:

Hoverboard - for real: If you want to see how the future is unfolding, here's a video of what is the first true 'hoverboard' flying around in France. Apparently it can go up to 55MPH!

That's it for this month's update! We've got a big month ahead now that production is fully underway with sellable inventory.
Next month we'll definitely have more info such as pro photos, videos, etc. for the Soaring Hearts.
In the interim, have a great weekend and see you end of the month!
Less

Waiting patiently and refreshing every minute. :D

EDIT: Unless you mean restocked tomorrow, as in Saturday. :(

It's hard to tell what is meant by tomorrow since the post was written in the middle of the night.

Last edited:
Please post photos of your purchase, if you can survive until Monday to order....
I plan on it. I almost purchased back in March, but waited due to a house purchase.

I've been waiting since then for a restock, and am excited to finally get to order a stone and get the ring built to propose to my girlfriend.

Less
I'm excited that you're going to offer payments in bitcoin! I have my coins ready, just waiting for you to stock up on some princess cuts!

This is so disappointing. I get the techno OCD desire to make the perfect gem but why do it at the sacrifice of production? 1/3 of the of the cutting time just to facet the girdle? I've literally been on the wait list for over two years and all BTW wants is perfect 7-8mm rounds. That's all fine and dandy if you want an 7-8mm round but what about the rest of us? I would LOVE to prepay 100% the cost of a custom size and cut but they won't do it. I don't even need a faceted girdle.

They aren't going to be making any princess cuts. They are only going to be making rounds and Krupps. You'll have to wait longer.
This is not true. The rounds are going to be restocked first, then the Krupps and Cushions are going to be worked on next, and after that the princesses will be in the works. It's just going to take time, and may be towards the end of the year/beginning of the new year, but the princess cut will eventually be restocked.

talk-admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all!
Happy Friday! This month's update is shorter than usual since the previous one was a week late (thus this update only covers three weeks) but we've still got some exciting updates to share. Thus, please grab a drink, settle in and let's get underway!

Amora Gem Updates:

Soaring Hearts Production! We've been slowly increasing the total weekly production trickle and this week we hit a new high of weekly production of 19 Soaring Hearts (7mm - 9mm, D-H color).
We have two main bottleneck's left to resolve and have new parts underway that should be ready within two weeks.
After that we hope to increase production to 30+/week and eventually work up to 50+/week. In addition, we're moving ahead with two more TIGER's coming online later this Fall.

For reference, one of the bottlenecks is simply due to Amora Gem's toughness. It's a battle with diamond in the initial shaping steps, and it makes for very slow progress as compared to shaping any other gem such as CZ, Sapphire, etc.

Thus, we're further increasing the massive diamond content on the initial shaping tools to help ensure diamond can more easily win the initial battle of shaping the Soaring Hearts and that should allow more throughput.
Of interest, we had a new tool custom built for us designed to help address this issue that we had high hopes for - after running 8 Amora's on it, the entire diamond content was completely thrashed and it couldn't do anything after that. A pretty hefty money loss to do some shaping on a few Amora's. The part maker we worked with to make this was very shocked, but it is direct evidence of Amora's extreme toughness.

So some of the most appealing aspects of Amora - it's extreme hardness and toughness - also make it an imposing challenge for anyone to process.

Regardless, we're making very steady progress and every week has resulted in an increase vs. the week before as we continue to ramp up production.

Restocks - general trends: Today's restock was for 7mm (1.25ct) and the majority were F color, with a range from D-G. That was exciting to see as we had been seeing a lot of G-H color initially, but it appears we are back into the colorless rough again.

We'll be focusing on 8mm and 9mm for the next two weeks at least.

First customer Soaring Hearts video: I wanted to highlight the first customer video posted of a Soaring Hearts by Trudi on our message boards as it will help you get a better feel for the new Soaring Hearts cut.

This is a G color for reference. Thanks to Trudi for making and posting this video!

First Soaring Hearts customer feedback: With Soaring Hearts steadily trickling out, I'm happy to share the first customer feedback posted with you.

Soaring Hearts Round Amora are amazing

"I was one of the first people to purchase the new Amora Gem Soaring Hearts version. They are breath-taking. I compared it to a diamond at the store and the amora had 3x more sparker then the diamond. I would pick the Amora Gem over the diamond any day. It is the best purchase I have ever made. I recommend this stone to anyone. Thank you!!"

Thanks very much to this customer (Matt on our message boards) for taking the time to post their feedback!

Where's the official video and photos? We've held off on doing this for two reasons. First, I've been waiting to get a colorless and ideally, Internally Flawless, Soaring Hearts to do our official videos and photos. Secondly, with the extreme demand, I felt it didn't make sense to tie one up for a week plus, rather than simply selling the production to help offset demand. As far as the specs - I wanted to run Colorless b/c F color is our typical color grade and IF clarity, because in the videos under high zoom, any defect looks huge even though it's not eye visible in real life.

Anyway, we've had some Internally Flawless already and more colorless are arriving, so hopefully we'll have an F+/IF soon and thus have the official videos and photo for next month's update.

TIGER-2 and TIGER-3 progress: It's become clear that to fully meet Amora Gem demand we will need to significantly scale up our TIGER robot armada. Thus, I'm happy to note that T2 and T3 are well underway with both of their main frames fully ready. I should add that oftentimes it seems customers mentally envision TIGER as a microwave or desktop robot. It's quite the opposite - its about the dimensions of a grand piano and requires a platform to step up to it, and a forklift to move.

To further help you understand TIGER - one thing that TIGER robots need is cables...lots and lots of cables! Here's a photo to give you some perspective - this is some of the cabling for T2 and T3:

One advantage we have now as we scale up is that for new TIGER's we are working with dedicated manufacturers to make all the parts to our spec, vs for TIGER-1, we basically hand made all the cabling and other electronics.
Now we have moved up in the world, and all the TIGER cables are being custom made by a cable maker using our detailed specs.
This is one example of how we'll be able to scale up production faster than ever as many components are now being manufactured for us to our spec, vs. for TIGER-1 we did it all by hand (i.e. programmable chips and boards, hand-made cables, etc).

Notification list frustration: One issue we are working on addressing is that most of the restocks have been selling out before the notification system kicks in (10 minutes after posting). This week we purposefully did not list dates for when the restocks were happening in order to tilt things towards those on the waiting list.

That worked, sort of, as we did actually send out some notifications today for example but didn't get that deep into it before they sold out.

Anyway, we are discussing various options to try and help avoid the refresh frenzy/frustration currently happening with restocks. The first restock actually crashed our server from so many refreshes, so it's not benefiting us either.

Hopefully a combination of our steadily increasing production and (slim chance) possibly introducing a pre-order option will help improve the situation but just wanted to note we are working on it.

BTD News:

New website approaching completion: We're continuing to work on our new website and added the infrastructure for multi-lingual support this week. Chinese (Simplified and then Traditional) will be the first languages, likely followed by French and German.

Since we've already had other disruptions we won't be moving to the new site until end of August or September. Basically once things have settled down with Amora demand and we can risk some website disruptions as invevitably we'll have some issues switching to the new site.

H&A natural diamond melee - potentially next month! We're currently receiving an initial shipment of D-F color, IF-VVS1, Hearts and Arrows cut natural (conflict-free) diamond melee today!
We're going to evaluate this versus our current melee but are excited about potentially moving all the side diamonds inn our rings to H&A cut and exceptional color and clarity (D-F, IF-VVS1)!

This would allow us to offer full H&A rings - center Soaring Hearts H&A, and H&A diamond sides. We're working directly with the manufacturer on this and so with no other distributor markup involved, the price vs. value appears extremely attractive.

We'll be reviewing and have more info as early as next week. Sizes will range from 1.25mm - 3.20mm.

Misc:

Paper regarding Amora Gem/ Silcon Carbide and astrophysics: A customer recently asked if there were any papers discussing Amora Gem / Silicon Carbide and where they exist as stardust in outer space. I'm happy to share one such paper here for those interested:
http://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs/21147.pdf

One of the highlights is that in terms of nebulae, the Egg and Spirograph Nebulae, both highly photographed have been proven to hold Silicon Carbide.
Anyway, it's a very detailed paper but may be of interest to peruse.

Stunning Starry night photo: With Amora Gem existing around stars, I'll conclude this months update with an amazing starry night photo taken by Giles Rocholl in Iceland. His website is here to make sure he get's credit for this photo: Giles Rocholl Photography Ltd

That's it for this month's update! Have a great weekend and a great month. We'll have a lot more news and updates and hopefully official video and photos next month. See you then!
Less

Great update! Is there any news on if pink moissanite is still expected for August? Do you know what shapes and sizes will be released? I'm looking for a large radiant or asscher (or elongated cushion but those don't seem to be made in moissanite)

At the risk of sounding overly critical (NOT my intention), I wish you would make more videos that are not the studio ones. I find those pretty unhelpful as a consumer because you can make anything look good in a professional studio, and none of us are seeing our jewelry that way on a regular basis, if ever. My favorite video y'all ever produced was the one of the 5-6+ carat AGs taken by cell phone showing the fire. Maybe the concern is that such videos aren't professional enough but I think customers appreciate seeing some video asap after the long wait, plus we like a realistic view. My $.02, looking forward to seeing more!

At the risk of sounding overly critical (NOT my intention), I wish you would make more videos that are not the studio ones. I find those pretty unhelpful as a consumer because you can make anything look good in a professional studio, and none of us are seeing our jewelry that way on a regular basis, if ever. My favorite video y'all ever produced was the one of the 5-6+ carat AGs taken by cell phone showing the fire. Maybe the concern is that such videos aren't professional enough but I think customers appreciate seeing some video asap after the long wait, plus we like a realistic view. My $.02, looking forward to seeing more!
Wholeheartedly agree with this!