Solid gold ring pits

elf925

The Pink Orchid
Hi all! I know that over time, rings get scratches dings and dents. Have any of you ever seen a ring with a pit mark? What I mean by pit (I can't think of another word to describe it) is, if you rub your nail over it, there is a indentation. You can feel it. My question is, will this cause further damage to the ring? Is there a way to polish it out? Why does it turn black? I know my photo isn't all that great, hope it can be made out.

Attachments

Dana ♥

The Centenary Diamond
i've got a couple of hollow rings that have done that after i wore them harder than i should have. most of them, the damage continued until the ring sort of crushed into itself right there, like an aluminum can if you punch a hole in it with a nail then press on it.

and i have one ring i bought secondhand that i think had a flaw in the casting when it was made because it isn't hollow but it has a small divot, like there was an air bubble in the molten gold when it was cast. or maybe it was damaged somehow, i dunno, but it hasn't ever gotten any worse.

none of these have ever turned black, though.

3 things:

1. Try using a jewelry cleaner to see if the "blackness" goes away. It could be just the buildup of dirt and dust.
2. Has it ever been in an accident of any sort? You might've hit it on a hard surface by mistake at some point. If it's been damaged, you should ideally consult the jeweler to see if it can be repaired or if the dent can be filled up.
3. How long has the dent been there for? Or did you start noticing it recently? If it has emerged suddenly, there could be environmental deterioration and/or wearing at play. Try proofing it with some jewelry hacks. For instance, you can coat it with a thin layer of transparent nail polish to keep the dent from becoming a menace.

If nothing else works, consult a professional jeweler for expert advice. Nothing beats that!

elf925

The Pink Orchid
i've got a couple of hollow rings that have done that after i wore them harder than i should have. most of them, the damage continued until the ring sort of crushed into itself right there, like an aluminum can if you punch a hole in it with a nail then press on it.

and i have one ring i bought secondhand that i think had a flaw in the casting when it was made because it isn't hollow but it has a small divot, like there was an air bubble in the molten gold when it was cast. or maybe it was damaged somehow, i dunno, but it hasn't ever gotten any worse.

none of these have ever turned black, though.
Divot is a much better term than pit! But it was all I could think of! The ring that was pictured is solid. (Supposedly) It's 4mm wide, 3mm thick and 7.9 grams. I've seen the divots in rings before and always assumed they we hollow. But now I'm not so sure. And I don't understand the black part either.

Dana ♥

The Centenary Diamond
if it weighs that much then it isn't hollow. the ones i have, and have had, that were hollow were virtually weightless for their size, like a gram or two, and i knew when i purchased them that they were hollow.
i bought some in the 90s when they were sold as "Finger Bangles" and some in the 00s when they were selling them as "Add-A-Ring".
one i wore as a thumb ring for about three years before the damage got to the point where it was unwearable - i took it off and broke it into pieces with very little effort. and thumb rings take quite a beating!

a new thing i've seen is hollow pieces that are then filled with silicone or resin, so that they don't dent as easily, which i think is kinda neat. as long as they're advertised as what they are, of course! to get a bigger look, for less money, without having the underside being concave, which can be painful to wear.

if you don't remember it being there, then i'd say take yourself some detailed pictures and just keep an eye on it.

you could, of course, take it by a bench jeweler to get their opinion.

the black is still confusing. if it was silver, i might have an idea as to what was going on, but not in gold.