Sheer Cover

I make my own mineral makeup, too. I don't write down the recipe either, but my skin tone and the type of feel and coverage I want really change throughout the year, so it works out fine for me. Silk powder is a really nice addition, if you haven't tried it.

I've been following this thread. I have not used mineral makeup before, but I'm going to give Sheer Miracle a try. Thanks Sparklee for the recommendation! I just placed an order and I found a coupon code online as well- use pop20 and it gives a 20% discount!

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay - now I'm curious, how do you make your own mineral makeup???
I have such a tough time finding a shade that is pale/ivory enough for my skin tone. All the ivory shades that I try end up pink or orange looking.

Dana ♥

The Centenary Diamond
yeah, Bare Minerals -- while i thank it for bringing mineral makeup to the attention of the masses -- is, in my opinion, the worst possible option, in a number of ways.
i think i'd trust Cover Girl's mineral makeup over BE.

anyhoo, Andrea0615, if you're Snow Queen pale like i am - companies like Aromaleigh DO have foundation in shades pale enough for you. they even have at least one that's too pale for you. i promise!

Lumiere, too, has a nice array of pale shades (although not as many as Aromaleigh):
http://www.lumierecosmetics.com/catalog/Face_Base-1-1.html

honestly, the only folks i know who've been truly difficult to shade-match in mineral foundation have been those among my friends with the very darkest complexions - including one of my friends from Nigeria.

diamonds247

The Millenium Star
I have used this mineral make up with great success.
www.Zethina.com

From the website...
Zethina Cosmetics do not contain BISMUTH OXYCHLORIDE, an additive that dilutes the mineral cosmetics and can cause allergic reactions. On the average, our mineral cosmetics have a much higher SPF than the other leading brands.

deb

The Imperial Diamond
I just placed my order!! I ordered the Pick 4 Sample and it was only around 7.00 with the 20% off coupon! Yay!! Do you have to use the 'special' brush to apply it? Also, do I just use my regular moisturizer underneath? I guess I have this imagine in my mind it 'sticking' to my moisturizer when I apply it and being all splotchy

Dana ♥

The Centenary Diamond
just make sure your moisturizer is all absorbed, or it will "stick" to it.

and it is easier to get the right coverage levels when using a brush...but if you don't have a good face brush to use with your sample, you can use a puff like from a powder compact. just remember less is more with the mineral foundations. i promise you won't need to use as much as you'll think you will!

on the subject of brushes, the good ones don't all cost in excess of $50
i found some for $5, once, with an adorable hard-sided snap case, no less, at BigLots of all places.

deb

The Imperial Diamond
Thanks Dana! I have a brush, just not the type you use with the mineral makeup. I didn't want to invest in that and then not be able to use the makeup. If my regular face brush doesn't work, I'll check out Big Lots
Or, pick one up at CVS or somewhere just so I can try it. It shipped out yesterday! I'm so excited!

elf925

The Pink Orchid
Has anyone ever tried the minerals from Ulta? That is one brand I havent tried. I am not using minerals now and really miss the speed and ease that they go on with. My issue with mineral brands is coverage (its never enough for me for some reason, even with a primer) and color- I am snow white pale!

Dana ♥

The Centenary Diamond
that's the one thing i'm gonna miss about Aromaleigh - is the amazing range of shades of pale she had!

i did order a big pile of samples of foundation shades from Meow Cosmetics http://www.meowcosmetics.com/Foundation.htm (scroll all the way to the bottom of the page for the colour sample swatches)

because they offer a matte, full coverage mineral foundation (in addition to two other types, that i wasn't interested in)

so i'll let you know how their pales are

deb

The Imperial Diamond
I saw the kabuki, but I didn't want to invest too much into it until I see if I can wear it. It will be here this week! I love getting stuff in the mail. I'm such a dork!

sparklee

The Millenium Star
deb said:
I saw the kabuki, but I didn't want to invest too much into it until I see if I can wear it. It will be here this week! I love getting stuff in the mail. I'm such a dork!

Just keep in mind that the type of brush you use to apply the minerals makes a big difference too. You need a large amount of bristles to be able to get the least amount of minerals - if that makes any sense. You don't want to cover like you would with powder, you want to apply some to the brush, then tap to remove as much of it as you can. The cover must be very light........

Dana ♥

The Centenary Diamond
Jsmith8 said:
ELF (Eyes Lip Face) has pretty decent brushes for rather cheap.

http://www.eyeslipsface.com/tools/brushes_&_applicators

The ones which I think are horrible include the foundation brush ($1.00 brush), powder brush ($3.00 brush) and the concealer brush ($1.00 brush). Their Kabuki brushes cost $5.00 or $8.00 and are pretty great quality for the cost.
ELF's foundation brush is fantastic!
i've been using them for years, whenever i wear liquid foundation (rare these days) or tinted moisturizer (at least twice a week).
and i LOVE the concealer brush - which is like a teeny tiny version of the foundation brush - although i've only ever used it with mineral concealer... and with eyeshadow.

their kabuki brush was horrible, though. you'd do better to find one of the $3 ones on ebay.
ELF's larger body-sized kabuki brush is okay for dusting powder, though.

I was just reading a beauty blog yesterday about this subject and learned about Alima Pure. The brand gets pretty good reviews on Makeupalley.com. Samples are reasonably priced and they send along freebies with every order. That might be an option for someone to look in to.

www.alimapure.com