Sheer Cover

deb

The Imperial Diamond
Ok, so last night I couldn't sleep and ended up stuck watching a dreaded informercial. It was for Sheer Cover makeup. It looks like Bare Minerals. Has anyone here tried it? I'm going to need new make up soon and was thinking of trying this so I thought I would check with you ladies first! It looks really good and for 29.99 (for the kit) and free shipping, plus a 90 day money back guarantee, I'm thinking I may fall victim to this commercial!

nikkikeith

The Black Orlov
with money back guarantee's i think theres no excuse not to try it
u can google them and reviews to see what comes up too...let us know how it goes

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't used this particular brand, but have been using mineral makeup for a couple of years now and love it! I've even used the cheap stuff from E.L.F. (www.eyeslipsface.com) and it's worked really well for me, too. Once you get the hang of it, it goes on rather quickly, which is nice. I was never a fan of wearing foundation because it would feel weird and make me break out, but I can't feel the mineral stuff and haven't had any problems with it at all. It really does give your face a nice, smooth look.

I know some stores are carrying Sheer Cover and Bare Minerals now, too, if you want to try before you buy. Sephora carries Bare Minerals, but for some reason I can't think of any of the other stores.
Good luck, I think you'll like it!

deb

The Imperial Diamond
This is true! I can always return it if it doesn't work.

I knew Sephora carried Bare Minerals, but I didn't know anyone carried Sheer Cover!

Thanks guys! Off to do some googling.......

deb

The Imperial Diamond
Oh my!!! Did some research and will NOT be buying this product. The reviews on Amazon were horrible!

poppyseed

The Florentine Diamond
Sally Beauty makes a "bare minerals" knock off that is affordable and very nice.

sparklee

The Millenium Star
I would suggest you be very careful with mineral makeup. Not all minerals are desirable on your skin!!!!

The thing you have to watch for is bismuth oxychloride. It's the mineral that gives the make up that sheen. Stay far away from that as it can enter and block the pores. I got a terrible irritation from it that left scars that I'm still trying to get rid of.

I use Sheer Miracle. It was recommended by my dermatologist, and I love it!

Dana ♥

The Centenary Diamond
i've been using mineral makeup for years, and i love it.

however, i've never been able to use any of the big brands - they all have something or other (usually the Bismuth) that makes my face itch like crazy.... and my skin isn't the least bit sensitive to anything.

i like crazy coloured, extremely glittery eyeshadows... so i tend to order those from different places from time to time. but for foundation, i stick with http://www.aromaleigh.com/
because they were the first place i found, all those years ago, who had a pale shade that was actually pale enough, without making me look like a ghost.
(they have plenty of non-pale shades, too, though!)

i LOVE their eyeliner sealant : http://www.aromaleigh.com/ineyseal.html which i use to turn whichever colour eyeshadow i want into eyeliner. and i swore by their eyeshadow primer/base (way more than the Urban Decay one that most of my friends use) but then i ordered the $3 one from eyeslipsface.com (also? i LOVE them. especially the eyeshadow brushes, and the complexion perfection pressed powder).

deb

The Imperial Diamond
Thanks guys! I hate trying new makeup. But, sometimes you just get tired of the same ol' look and want something new. I have combination skin. Does the mineral makeup go on well? I normally don't use a liquid or a makeup base becasue it seems to 'splotch' on my skin. I always have to use a compact/cream type makeup.

sparklee

The Millenium Star
The mineral make up goes on very light, yet I'm amazed at the coverage. I generally don't like the feel of a lot of stuff on my face, so this works fabulously!

deb

The Imperial Diamond
That's what I'm looking for. Coverage without the heavy feeling. Especially in this heat!!! I'll have to give it try! I went to the website and was thrilled to see that they offer trial sizes for around 2.50. Perfect way to try it out! You need to get some too nikki!!

elf925

The Pink Orchid
I have tried ALL the minerals out there! Pur, Bare Minerals, Sheer Cover, Sephora brand, designer brand etc..... There are goods and bads in all of them. What I fell in love with and now can not live without is the Bare Minerals brand primer, called Prime Time. I use that primer everyday and have very sensitive skin and have had no problems! It makes all makeup- liquid, powder, minerals- go on much smoother and last longer. There may be nothing wrong with what you currently use- try it with a primer- it should work much much better!

Dana ♥

The Centenary Diamond
i use a full-face primer, too (not from Bare Minerals, though) whenever i want my warpaint (errr... makeup) to last through anything extreme (like a concert, being in a wedding, walking around all day at a festival, etc. not shopping or just a regular day or whatever)..

one of the things i love most about mineral foundation is that it has what they call "buildable" coverage.
which i really love, because on most of my face, i only need/want just a little hint of coverage... but in other areas i want heavier coverage.
(also, i have covered a black eye with mineral makeup. so if it can cover that -- under crazy harsh fluorescent lighting no less -- it can cover anything) [i fell. i wasn't hit. i promise.]

also... i want to apologise for linking to Aromaleigh upthread.

not that there's ever been anything wrong with any of their products!!
but i went to the webpage today and... it looks like this morning she announced she's discontinuing a lot of her product line (possibly temporarily - she's just starting to go through a divorce and wants to make her product line smaller and more manageable during the process)

so ordering samples to try out mineral makeup would still be fine, but don't fall in love with one of the shades because it may be one that gets the axe

*scurries off to place panicked back-up of back-ups order*

nikkikeith

The Black Orlov
deb said:
That's what I'm looking for. Coverage without the heavy feeling. Especially in this heat!!! I'll have to give it try! I went to the website and was thrilled to see that they offer trial sizes for around 2.50. Perfect way to try it out! You need to get some too nikki!!
totally am!!! do they really go on that dense??? like the eyeshadows??? i hate when i see a look and then u try to do it with the eyeshadow and its not concentrated enough to get it how u want!!!

Dana ♥

The Centenary Diamond
nikkikeith said:
deb said:
totally am!!! do they really go on that dense??? like the eyeshadows??? i hate when i see a look and then u try to do it with the eyeshadow and its not concentrated enough to get it how u want!!!
i'm not sure i understand, but if you mean that when you try an eyeshadow (mineral or otherwise) and it comes out looking like a pale, faded, washed-out version of itself...rather than the deep, vibrant colour you thought you were using?
especially with mineral shadows, the base or primer is a very important part of that.
or a liquid sealant to get the foiled effect.
but it really depends on what sort of look you're going for!

Dana ♥

The Centenary Diamond
Urban Decay's Primer Potion is the one that most of my friends use, but it didn't work for me.
i swore by Aromaleigh's primer / cream for years and years and years, until on a whim i ordered the $3 one from eyeslipsface and it works just as good.
the trick is to just use a little bit - a thin coat. takes a few tries to figure out just the right amount for your personal makeup style.
to experiment without buying any new product, if you have any cream eyeshadow in a colour similar to your skintone, you can try that.
or even any cream concealer, trying a small bit of that.

the other thing is, more often than not, using an eyeshadow brush will give you better control of your colour than the puffy wand applicator thingies.

for me, personally, the downside to using mineral cosmetics is that from time to time i buy a big pile of the individual components (the ingredients) and make my own colours. which i love, and is much fun, but i always forget to write down the recipe so i can never duplicate them again. ha!