Share Your FAVORITE Recipes!

Hadley

Connoisseur
I am freaking out about the deep fried tortellini. It sounds like passing through the gates of heaven as an accompaniment to the death sentence for my arteries. Yummmmmmm!!!

To combat all of the deliciously unhealthy postings here, I'm going to contribute one of my only favorite recipes that is practically fat free. There's less than 5 grams in a serving. Plus, it's crock-pot friendly for ease.

WHITE CHILI

2 cups / 14 ounces chicken broth
1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1/2 to 1 cup green chili salsa
1 tablespoon ground chili pepper
1 tablespoon ground poultry seasoning
3 cloves garlic, minced (I use the jar stuff)
1-1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 can chickpeas, drained
1 can white kidney beans, drained
1 can butter beans, drained
1 cup frozen corn

- In a bowl, combine ingredients up to chicken.
- Place chicken, onion, and 3 types of beans in crock pot.
- Pour bowl mixture into crock pot and stir lightly to distribute liquid and solids.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- Add frozen corn and stir to mix everything well. If it is thicker than you prefer, add some chicken broth or water at this point. Cook for an additional half hour to heat everything through.
- Serve with croutons or crushed tortilla chips if desired (and up the fat count accordingly).

Hadley

Connoisseur
And now here's my own version of "So Good But So Bad For You".

HEART ATTACK PIZZA (yes, that's what we call it in our house)

1/2 pound sausage
2 baking potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 large thin-style Boboli pizza crust
6 ounces cream cheese
1/4 cup jarred pesto sauce
1/2 an onion, sliced
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup shredded parmesean cheese

- Brown the sausage and drain it.
- At the same time, boil the potato slices until they are just soft.
- Spread cream cheese evenly over entire pizza crust.
- Spread pesto sauce evenly over cream cheese.
- Top with all remaining ingredients, in the order listed (this keeps the potatoes from falling apart, puts the sausage juice into the onions, and crisps the parmesean for maximum flavor).
- Carefully move your tower of power to the oven via a pizza paddle, cutting board, or pizza stone. Be careful, it really is tall.
- Bake at 350 degrees until cheese browns, about half an hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hadley said:
I am freaking out about the deep fried tortellini. It sounds like passing through the gates of heaven as an accompaniment to the death sentence for my arteries. Yummmmmmm!!!
LOL that would be the perfect description
Just make sure to use the packages you get from the refrigerated or frozen section, NOT the dried pasta aisle

And, we have pizza + movie night every Friday in our house. I am going to try out your recipe if I can wait that long!

Hadley

Connoisseur
I just realized that on my pizza recipe I wrote "top with remaining ingredients in the order listed," but then I looked at my ingredients list and saw that it didn't match. Sorry!

Here's the order the keeps the potatoes in tact and blends flavors the best. Once you've done the cream cheese and pesto, then do:
1) potato slices
2) sausage
3) onions
4) mozzarella
5) parmesean at the top

And for any brownie lovers, this is the best recipe I have ever found, they are super rich. The recipe is from BBC Good Food and gets 322 5 star reviews. I have made some money saving changes . . .

Ingredients -

185g butter
200g budget dark chocolate (I use Ikea at around 35p per 100g)
95g plain flour
60g cocoa powder
50g white chocolate chips/chunks
50g milk chocolate chips/chunks
3 large eggs
275g golden caster sugar

Instructions -

Cut the butter and dark chocolate into small pieces and tip into a medium bowl. Sit the bowl on top of a half full saucepan on the hob. Put over a low heat until the butter and chocolate have melted, stirring occasionally to mix them. Now remove the bowl from the pan.

While you wait for the chocolate to cool, position a shelf in the middle of your oven and turn the oven on to fan 160C/conventional180C/gas 4

Using a shallow 20cm square tin, cut out a square of non-stick baking parchment to line the base. Now tip the flour and cocoa powder into a sieve held over a medium bowl.

Break the eggs into a large bowl and tip in the sugar. With an electric mixer on maximum speed, whisk the eggs and sugar until they look thick and creamy, like a milk shake. This can take 3-8 minutes, depending on how powerful your mixer is, so don't lose heart. You'll know it's ready when the mixture becomes really pale and about double its original volume. Another check is to turn off the mixer, lift out the beaters and wiggle them from side to side. If the mixture that runs off the beaters leaves a trail on the surface of the mixture in the bowl for a second or two, you're there.
Pour the cooled chocolate mixture over the eggy mousse, then gently fold together with a rubber spatula. Plunge the spatula in at one side, take it underneath and bring it up the opposite side and in again at the middle. Continue going under and over in a figure of eight, moving the bowl round after each folding so you can get at it from all sides, until the two mixtures are one and the colour is a mottled dark brown.
Hold the sieve over the bowl of eggy chocolate mixture and resift the cocoa and flour mixture, shaking the sieve from side to side, to cover the top evenly. Gently fold in this powder using the same figure of eight action as before. The mixture will look dry and dusty at first, and a bit unpromising, but if you keep going very gently and patiently, it will end up looking gungy and fudgy. Stop just before you feel you should, as you don't want to overdo this mixing. Finally, stir in the white and milk chocolate chunks until they're dotted throughout.

Pour the mixture into the prepared tin, scraping every bit out of the bowl with the spatula. Gently ease the mixture into the corners of the tin and paddle the spatula from side to side across the top to level it. Put in the oven and set your timer for 25 minutes. When the buzzer goes, open the oven, pull the shelf out a bit and gently shake the tin. If the brownie wobbles in the middle, it's not quite done, so slide it back in and bake for another 5 minutes until the top has a shiny, papery crust and the sides are just beginning to come away from the tin. Take out of the oven.
Leave the whole thing in the tin until completely cold.

These are better the second day.

RooGirl

BTD Crown Jewel
I'm so trying Sara's Dinner Rolls....

.... don't you hate it that some of your favorite things you like to fix you have no recipe for because you eye ball everything....

RooGirl

BTD Crown Jewel
Potato and Eblow Macaroni Soup

this recipe is soooooo good during cold weather.... you can make it thicker or thinner all in how much water and tomato juice you want to use that's all in taste...

1 Large 46oz can of tomato juice
per 6qt soup kittle

Water

Potatoes

Elbow Macaroni 1 to 2 cups if you use jumbo elbow 1 1/2
these you can use the jumbo if you wish or any other kind of macaroni noodles...

Salt

Pepper

Take your 6qt kettle and fill 1/3 full of water place on stove on high heat.. cut up as many potatoes in cubes that you wish to add... no certain amount needed... place in water to start to boil.... then over your potatoes add the tomato juice... then add salt and pepper to cook into the potatoes.... after you notice the potatoes have started to become soft then add you mac and turn your stove to a low heat. Add salt and pepper to taste...

This is a type of soup you can fix mid day and keep on low setting on the stove top for the rest of the day... you can make this soup with more water and tomato juice if you wish to have more of a soupy liquid ... I fix mine more thick and chunky.... plus this soup is delicious next day... a real comfort food stick to your ribs....

Roo I have all the soup ingredients on hand, I am going to make it tomorrow evening for the hubby's return
He always comes home from the field starving (the MREs are not so great). This stick to your ribs comfort food is something he will love!

So, more of a tip as opposed to a recipe. I love sauteing shrimp in extra virgin coconut oil. Lighter than butter, and infuses a great coconut flavor in the shrimp. I buy a bag of frozen pre-cooked jumbo shrimp to keep on hand for a quick lunch. Grab a bowl full of shrimp, run some cool water over them to defrost while the coconut oil is heating up (I use medium high to high heat, you want to see a little bit of bubbles). After the oil is ready, I throw the shrimp in, toss them a few times, cover and let them cook for 1-2 minutes. Pull them out of the oil, salt and pepper them to taste. Yummo!

One more recipe....

Banana Crumb Muffins

Ingredients
--Batter--
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 medium bananas, mashed
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup butter, melted (can subsitute with canola oil)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
--Topping--
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease 12 muffin cups, or line with muffin papers.

In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.

In another bowl, beat together bananas, both sugars, egg, vanilla extract and melted butter. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Do not over beat the batter. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.

In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Set aside.

Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, pull out of oven, and sprinkle the tops with topping mixture. Bake another 5 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.

Girls, I gained weight just reading these delicious recipes!!!!!!!! If you can, pick up the latest Martha Stewart Living... Normally I am SO not a fan, but the recipes in this issue for fall are OFF THE CHAIN.

I agree with the other ladies, I have no idea why my recipes are the unhealthy things that I cook/bake. I promise I don't eat like that every day

Thanks MrsElleMonk, I will grab a copy tonight when I am out grocery shopping

Roo, my husband LOVED your soup! It was delish! We had enough for lunch the next day

And Hadley, we tried out your pizza last night for our pizza movie night. We had another couple over and it was fanfreakingtastic

These two are keepers
Can't wait to try out a few more from this thread....