Share Your FAVORITE Recipes!

I really like this "What's For Supper?" thread, but I always want to know the recipes! I'm new to the cooking world so I would LOVE to try out some new dishes. Post anything you and your family love: breakfast, dinner, side dishes, crockpot, snacks, dessert, etc! Bring it on!!

I'll start with a few goodies...

Last edited by a moderator:
Cowboy Quesadillas
Quick & simple snack or meal and you probably have everything in your pantry already!

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Ingredients</span>:
* 1/2 C white rice
* 1/3 C black beans
* 1 cup diced cooked chicken
* 1/3 C fresh frozen corn kernels (no need to thaw)
* 2/3 C diced tomato
* 3 Tbs sliced green onion
* 1 1/2 C shredded cheese (any type or combo you like)
* 1/4 C BBQ sauce
* 6 small tortillas (fajita size, about 6")

Dipping Sauce
* Equal parts BBQ sauce and ranch dressing

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Directions</span>:
1. Drain the liquid out of any canned items.
2. Combine rice, beans, chicken, corn, tomato, green onion and shredded cheese in medium bowl.
3. Add BBQ sauce and stir to combine.
4. Place about 1/3 C of mixture on half of each tortilla; fold over to close.
5. Heat a skillet to Medium heat on the stove top. When hot, spray lightly with cooking spray, or drizzle with canola or olive oil.
6. Place quesadillas in hot pan and cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown and slightly crisp. Flip and repeat on opposite side.
7. Cool for a few minutes.
8. Serve with BBQ-Ranch dipping sauce.

MrsFISH

Afficionado
I will add a couple of easy meals that I rely on especially in the winter. These are great for those busy times or for those new mothers we have: FYI this one is probably pretty high in sodium if anyone needs to watch that!

Crockpot Taco soup
1.Cooked chicken breast (Any chicken will work, I have used the canned stuff that you find with the tuna just drain it first, left over baked chicken or just boiled or baked a some chicken and picked it off the bone, use as little or as much as you have :) )
2. (2)cans of rotel - the tomato mix stuff found with the chopped tomatoes in the grocery store
3. (2-3) cans of beans chose any varieties you like
4. (1) can of corn
5. on pkg of taco seasoning

Dump everything in the crock mix and cover, cook on low for at least a couple of hours.
Serve with tortilla chips.

MrsFISH

Afficionado
Easy roast

1pkg of baby carrots peeled
1 small pks small red or yellow potatoes
1 chuck roast
1pkg ranch dressing mix
1pkg italian dressing mix
1pk brown gravy mix

Mix the ranch, italian, and gravy mixtures together into a ziploc baggie. You will only want to use 1/2 of the mixture save the other half for next time.

Layer the carot and potatoes in first ( no need to peel this type of potato! just make sure you wash them) Place the roast on top sprinkle the mixture over the top (remember you are only going to need about 1/2)

DO NOT ADD WATER. I often cover with foil before in addition to the glass lid of the crock to get an extra tight seal and make sure it is extra tender. Cook on high for 4-5 hours then turn to low until ready to serve. time will vary a little depending on the size of your roast.

When the roast is done it will have a great flavor and there will be a nice gravy in the bottom :)

RooGirl

BTD Crown Jewel
OMG!!! I'm going to gain weight just by reading this thread... this is a terrific idea Milady... I'll have to go dig up my recipe cards and list some...

MrsFISH

Afficionado
Parmesan chicken

Chicken tenders
parmesan cheese (from the can)
bread crumbs, italian
milk
butter

Mix parmesan cheese and bread crumbs together in a large ziploc baggie. It's up to you the ratio. I like 50/50. You want enough mixture to to cover the chicken so you may need to add more as you go along.

Take thawed chicken dip it in milk and place it in bag, seal bag and shake. remove place in glass cooking pan and repeat.

When you have coated all the chicken, melt butter and pour over the chicken, just enough to dampen the chicken and leave a little standing in the pan in a few places.

Chicken will cook at 375 for about 20-25 minutes for 1-2 wide strips, Check to see if the breading is turning golden if it is it is done.

Chicken will melt in your mouth. I can never cook enough of this ;_)

MrsFISH

Afficionado
roogirl said:
OMG!!! I'm going to gain weight just by reading this thread... this is a terrific idea Milady... I'll have to go dig up my recipe cards and list some...
Yeah I was wondering, why the ones that I know, just off the top of my head are all not the healthiest? I cook for 3 kids and a Dh that almost never eat at the same time though so we eat a lot of prepare ahead/ crockpot type meals that can be eaten at different times and still be good. So if anyone has any of these type of meals I please share!!

Easy spaghetti bake
I just threw this together the other night, it's not an exact recipe, but it turned out great and my whole family loved it and it was SO EASY!!!!

1 lb ground turkey (1 pkg chicken seasoning)
1 box of rotini
family size prego sauce
mozz. cheese

Brown the turkey then add in the seasoning(gives it more flavor)
you can substitute ground beef if you wish

spread meat into the bottom of 9X12 pan then put the pasta (uncooked on top and spread out. Cover well with the prego, add water if needed so that all noodles are covered. The cover the pan with foil and bake at 425 for 40 minutes checking occasionally. (temp and time may need tweeking)

The last 10 minutes add the cheese to the top.

Fun thread! Our FRG group here is putting together a cookbook, and I just emailed off some recipes to contribute. I'll pull those up

<span style="font-weight: bold">Buttermilk Fried Chicken
</span>
Ingredients:
3 1/2 pound chicken, cut in 8 pieces
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp white pepper
1 tsp ground dried herbs (oregano, thyme, rosemary, sage)
2 cups buttermilk

for the seasoned flour:
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder

2 1/2 quarts peanut oil for frying

Directions:
In a deep bowl, toss cut up chicken pieces with salt, black pepper, paprika, cayenne, white pepper, and dried herbs. Pour buttermilk over chicken, covering all pieces. Let marinate for at least 6 hours (overnight is good as well).

Heat frying oil to 350 F.

In shallow bowl, mix flour, salt, paprika, cayenne, white pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Coat chicken pieces well. Fry for 20-25 minutes, then drain on a wire rack over paper towl on a baking sheet. Let sit for 10 minutes before eating.

Deep Fried Tortellini

Ingredients:

1 (16 ounce) package cheese tortellini (fresh or frozen -thaw if frozen)
3 eggs, beaten
2 1/2 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
2 ziplock bags (gallon size works best)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese (optional)

Directions:
Heat vegetable oil in deep fryer or skillet to 350 degrees for deep frying.

Pour eggs into a ziplock bag, then add tortellini. Close bag and shake until tortellinis are well coated.

Pour breadcrumbs into second bag and set aside. With a slotted spoon, scoop the tortellinis out of the egg bag, letting the excess egg drain back into the bag. Place tortellini into breadcrumb bag and shake until the tortellinis are well coated.

With a slotted spoon, scoop the tortellini out of the breadcrumbs, gently tapping the spoon to remove the excess breadcrumbs and carefully place in hot oil. Fry until golden, remove from oil and drain.

Serve with you favorite marinara sauce.

Optional: sprinkle with Parmesan cheese before serving.

Lasagna

Ingredients:
1 pound sweet Italian sausage
3/4 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup minced onion
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
2 (6.5 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds (optional)
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
12-14 lasagna noodles
16 ounces ricotta cheese
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced or shredded
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
Fill your 9x13 lasagna dish with hot hot water, and soak noodles in it. Set aside.

In a large pot, cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Season with sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Simmer, covered, for about a 1/2 hour, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.

Drain the lasagna dish and lay noodles out without letting them touch (they will stick to each other)

To assemble in the lasagna dish, spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of dish. Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese. Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Refrigerate over night. (If you are making this the same day as you are serving it and cannot refrigerate over night, simmer meat sauce 1.5-2 hours)

To bake:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Cover with foil(to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.)

Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.

(What I use to decorate cakes)

Marshmallow Fondant

Ingredients:
16 oz small marshmallows
2 lb bag powder sugar
2 tablespoons water
Crisco
Food coloring - optional (gel coloring works best)

Directions:
Grease a plastic mixing spoon with a generous coating of crisco. Set aside.

Place the marhmallows in microwave-safe bowl. Drizzle water over marshmallows. Microwave marshmallows for 30 second intervals until completly melted, making sure to stir it well with greased spoon between each 30 second interval.

OPTIONAL: After marshmallows are all melted, stir in food coloring with spoon. (If you know what color you want the fondant to be in advance, this is the easiest way to color it. You can skip this step and add color later, it's just a little more time consuming.)

Grease your hands and wrists really well with crisco.

Add about half the bag of powder sugar to the melted mixture and start to knead it into the mixture. Continue kneading it, adding more sugar periodically.

You won't knead in the entire 2 lb bag of sugar, I find I can generally knead in about 3/4 of the bag until I get the right consistancy. Keep kneading until it's no longer sticking to your skin when you press it between your palms.

Shape the fondant into a ball, and apply a light layer of crisco to it. Wrap very tightly with Saran wrap and store at room temperature.

Save the extra powder sugar to use when you roll out the fondant.

Note:
TO MAKE BROWN (chocolate) FONDANT
Instead of using food coloring, add 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder and stir it into the melted marshmallows.

Meatballs

Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef
1/2 pound ground veal
1/2 pound ground pork
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 eggs
1 cup freshly grated Romano cheese
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
salt and ground black pepper to taste
2 cups stale Italian bread, crumbled (or 1 cup pre-packaged italian bread crumbs)
1/4 cup milk

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine beef, veal, and pork in a large bowl. Add garlic, eggs, cheese, parsley, salt and pepper.

Blend bread crumbs into meat mixture. Slowly add the water the milk. The mixture should be very moist but still hold its shape if rolled into meatballs. Shape into golfball-sized balls, and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes.

Toss meatballs into spaghetti sauce, or use for meatball sandwiches.

Soft Breadsticks

Ingredients:
--Dough--
1 cup warm water
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter
3 cups bread flour
2 1/2 teaspoons yeast
1 teaspoon italian season
1 teaspoon garlic powder

--Topping--
1/4 cup butter
2 tsps garlic salt
grated Parmesan cheese for sprinkling.

Directions:
Dissolve yeast in warm water and let sit for 10 minutes. Combine the yeast mixture with the rest of the dough ingredients and knead until smooth and elastic.
Form dough into a ball and lightly coat the ball with olive oil. set in a large bowl and cover the bowl with a dish towel. Let dough rise for 45 mins. Roll the dough out to a 10x12 inch rectangle. Cut into strips about 3/4 inch wide. Twist each strip and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Lightly place plastic wrap over sticks.

Let the bread sticks rise for another 45 mins. They will be almost double in size. Bake at 375d egrees for 10-15 minutes, until just barely browned.

While the bread is cooking, melt the butter on the stove top, and dissolve the garlic salt in it.

After bread is done, brush the butter topping generously over all the sticks. Immediately sprinkle generously with grated cheese.