scope question wink

keetercat

BTD Crown Jewel
hi wink,
ok this is an odd question, but I am odd so I think it sounds pretty normal

what kind of difference would there be between a jewelers scope and a science type of microsope? is there a big difference do you know?

anyway it has me wondering. I have only seen a jewelers scope once in person before and didnt really pay much attention to how it was set up. thanks wink!

Last edited by a moderator:

Wink

The Imperial Diamond
A science type microscope is set up with normally veryt small fields of view and the light comes from directly behind the object being viewed which is normally prepared in very thin slices for viewing.

Most gemological microscopes have much larger field's of view and depths of focus. Most are also set up with "dark field" illumination, where the light comes from below and to the side of the object with the light directly behind the object being blocked. This highlights the interior of the stone and tends to bring out the inclusions in high relief, making them much easier to see. In my scope the disk blocking the direct light can be moved to one side to allow direct illumination if you wish to flood the stone with more light,, but I can count on one hand the number of times that I actually found that at all useful.

So yes, there is a HUGE difference.

Wink

keetercat

BTD Crown Jewel
thank you for the info wink! it is greatly appreciated
I'm glad I didnt go out and buy a science one then LOL

Wink

The Imperial Diamond
YES YOU ARE! It would really suck to have to slice your gems real thin to see them, and they just don't stay in the mountings real well after being sliced!

Wink

YES YOU ARE! It would really suck to have to slice your gems real thin to see them, and they just don't stay in the mountings real well after being sliced!

Wink
I hear super glue works wonders, and when in doubt - JB Cold-Weld for that extra sticking power.
(Bored at work, can you tell?)

-- Tx Romantic (he who loves soaking up random information on any topic at any time)