Ring shopping & Proposal planning!

Okay folks- I'm new here. I need your ideas and input!

Going to the Intergem International Gem and Jewelry Show today in Seattle in hopes of finding a moissanite loose stone! I've looked around in stores all over Seattle and although some jewelers sell them online, no one seems to carry any form of moissanite in stores. I've been told they will have them at the gem show today- if not, I will likely order one on moissanite.com.

A few years ago, my partner and I stopped by a Tacori trunk show and she saw and fell in LOVE with the Tacori 2620. My goal is to find a loose moissy and have it set into the 2620. She will be shocked.. as we decided back then that there would be no way we could afford the one she fell in love with (total with diamond center would be over 10 grand).

Anyway, long story short, I think I have the ring & setting all figured out. Now just needing to figure out the proposal. She's in NYC all summer for an internship, and I am flying out there right around the time that she's done. We've been discussing the possibility of me flying there, then a day or two later, us flying out to the Dominican Republic and spending a week on the beach before we both have to return to Seattle for work.

That being said- do I pop the question in the big city.. maybe at night looking out on the beautiful skyline, or do a romantic, beach at sunset proposal? I know I want a photographer, which would be easier(and likely cheaper) to find in NYC, but the beach would be gorgeous. Idk. Thoughts?! Advice?! She's totally a princess, fairy-tale romantic girl that wants (and DESERVES) to be swept off her feet!

*Note- we're a same-sex couple, so I'm also a little nervous about doing it in the DR/being able to find a willing photographer there.. I've been told their culture is pretty conservative, and I don't want to set ourselves up for an awkward/unsafe situation.

Ladies- what would your dream proposal look like?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and congrats on your upcoming engagement! I just wanted to make a suggestion if you're going to order a moissy online. Moissaniterus on eBay (the guy who runs it is named Oren) has great prices and gorgeous stones. You will pay much less ordering a stone from him than you will on moissanite.com. Many of us have stones from him and he is wonderful. He handpicks them based on what qualities you're looking for, if you correspond with him through email, and he has a return policy if you need to exchange or return.

Hi meanittoo-welcome!
I think your plans for the ring and proposal sound wonderful.
I prob would go with the NYC proposal, there is something about that City given the perfect location that would be hands down over the moon(IMO). This way all the pressure is off you and both of you can look forward to a relaxing time spent on the beach focused on the both of you.

Please come back with pictures! I have stones from both MoissCo and Mossaniterus, they are both beautiful, but if price is in consideration-you will not be disappointed w/M-R-US

Lala86- Thanks for the input! I looked up the ebay seller, and unless I'm mistaken, it looks like for the stone that I'm looking for (1.5ct, round cut, forever brilliant), MoissCo is actually cheaper (629) than the ebay seller (699). I've got a couple weeks until I order it though, so I'll keep my eye on it

SB922 & Emanuela- Yeah, I've pretty much decided that the city is where it will happen.. now just need to figure out how!
Been in touch with a couple NYC photographers, they're just so dang expensive! I'm keeping my eye on Groupon, but being into photography myself, I'm a little picky. Haha.

Emanuela- Thanks! That video it goooorgeous!
AHH, I seriously CANNOT wait for the ring to get here!

I ordered the setting from Robbins Brothers this last weekend! Supposed to arrive the first week of August, and they said it would only take a couple hours to set the stone.

Another question- I'm wanting the white-est (or most colorless) stone possible, as Tacori's settings are rather white and sparkly, so I've been told any color/warmth in the center stone will be even more noticeable. Do y'all think the Forever Brilliant is the best way to go? Been trying to research, but still very new to all of this

Thanks everyone.. SO thankful to have input

Here's a thread that has a picture of the FB and BTD's Amora moissanite side by side. FB is J in color, while Amora is H (whiter). Whiter options than that would be an Asha or CZ, but the Tacori side-stones are typically G, so an Amora moissanite in H color wouldn't really stand out as being less-white, I'd assume. HOWEVER, I only see 8-mm (2-carat) I color round Amora moissanite stones in stock on the BTD website, and I believe that's due to work being focused on the new Amora Gem. So unless you're looking for a smaller (or perhaps bigger
) stone or want a whiter option like Asha or CZ, your best bet for getting a moissanite stone sooner rather than later would be FB, which MoissaniteCo stocks.

My 2c worth: I had a very romantic proposal in NYC & not toooo awfully expensive. Carriage ride in the park after dark, proposal made in front of Tavern on the Green w/ all their pretty lights. Carriage driver took some pics for us! *Sigh*

Emanuela said:
Here's a thread that has a picture of the FB and BTD's Amora moissanite side by side. FB is J in color, while Amora is H (whiter). Whiter options than that would be an Asha or CZ, but the Tacori side-stones are typically G, so an Amora moissanite in H color wouldn't really stand out as being less-white, I'd assume. HOWEVER, I only see 8-mm (2-carat) I color round Amora moissanite stones in stock on the BTD website, and I believe that's due to work being focused on the new Amora Gem. So unless you're looking for a smaller (or perhaps bigger
) stone or want a whiter option like Asha or CZ, your best bet for getting a moissanite stone sooner rather than later would be FB, which MoissaniteCo stocks.
Thank you!! that's so helpful!
Will prob go with the FB.. looked at Amora, but you're right, they don't have the size I need in a round cut. Thanks so much!

swk1960 said:
My 2c worth: I had a very romantic proposal in NYC & not toooo awfully expensive. Carriage ride in the park after dark, proposal made in front of Tavern on the Green w/ all their pretty lights. Carriage driver took some pics for us! *Sigh*
Aww, that's adorable!
Would love to do Central Park.. also considering on the brooklyn bridge (looooook at these photos! http://kristinahill.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/SUrpriseProposal.jpg ) or a botanical garden (either the Brooklyn one or the one on Staten Island, where she's living for the summer). If I did the bridge, we could do a mini-shoot at Dumbo and in front of the carousel (she LOVES them!). Maybe I'm too focused on the pictures... photography is one of my biggest passions, and we've NEVER had photos done of us in the almost 6 years we've been together. Hmm..

Your proposal and ring plans sound fabulous! I wanted to comment on warmth/color in the moissanite. I love the warmth in my mossys. It makes them more diamond-like to me in that if a clear stone is too white is assumed cz.....that sort of thing. Plus, I love the colors that shoot out from it. :)