Resale value of moissanite?

#5
*JAM* said:
are you looking to sale an amora moissanite? if so can I get all the info on it?
Not quite yet, not till the amora comes out so I can swap my stone for that. My husband worries about money so I wanted to quell his concerns.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
#6
Little_Bit said:
Not quite yet, not till the amora comes out so I can swap my stone for that. My husband worries about money so I wanted to quell his concerns.
I'm not so sure you will still get 80% for Amora moissy once the Amora Gem is available. I thought that sounded high now but I've not done the math on ones that have come up on the bistro.

If you are looking to minimize the loss at resale the best way is to minimize the initial outlay. You could buy your Amora moissy second hand and save a bit that way. Have you considered Asha as a temporary stone?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

jcent

BTD Crown Jewel
#7
Would you really pay 80% E? I thought it would be more like 50%. I wouldn't pay 80% for a used stone personally. For something used I would expect it to be much more discounted. Just like diamonds, I don't think either are investments.
 

e.taylor

The Black Orlov
#8
jcent said:
Would you really pay 80% E? I thought it would be more like 50%. I wouldn't pay 80% for a used stone personally. For something used I would expect it to be much more discounted. Just like diamonds, I don't think either are investments.
I'm going by what I've seen sell, and in perusing for many years I don't see moissy going for 50% off frequently at all. Asha either, really. I agree with you Jcent, I wouldn't want to pay that...but people DO. 20% off the package (stone and setting) seems pretty standard.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

e.taylor

The Black Orlov
#9
morning glory said:
Little_Bit said:
Not quite yet, not till the amora comes out so I can swap my stone for that. My husband worries about money so I wanted to quell his concerns.
I'm not so sure you will still get 80% for Amora moissy once the Amora Gem is available. I thought that sounded high now but I've not done the math on ones that have come up on the bistro.

If you are looking to minimize the loss at resale the best way is to minimize the initial outlay. You could buy your Amora moissy second hand and save a bit that way. Have you considered Asha as a temporary stone?
That's totally true, unless the cost is much much higher. Do we have any kind of a ballpark on that?

I mean for "fun" rings if the amora gem is far more then there may well be a market for amora moissy's. If they're fairly comparable then you are right.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
#10
That's what I was thinking jcent, 50-60%. But again, I haven't tried to sell mine and I haven't tried to figure out from the bistro what people are getting back.

e-taylor, I thought the pricing for Amora Gem was still estimated at $500 per carat, close to Amora moissy.
 
#11
Morning Glory - I looked for a while and couldnt find a used stone so I bought brand new from btd. Ideally I would have gone the route you suggested. I had a wink cz previously and knew that asha wouldn't be a good choice for me because I cannot baby jewelry. Plus we live on a farm and the cz was impossible to keep clean.

I hope resale prices don't fall too much when the amora gem debuts.
 

e.taylor

The Black Orlov
#12
morning glory said:
That's what I was thinking jcent, 50-60%. But again, I haven't tried to sell mine and I haven't tried to figure out from the bistro what people are getting back.
I wish! I'd have a lot more moissy were that the case! That definitely does not seem to be what happens from what I can tell. They seem hold their value pretty well.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

borismom

The Imperial Diamond
#13
For 80% of the price, I'd rather spend a little more and get a brand new piece with brand new stones direct from the vendor, with full customer service and guarantees.

If someone has been able to sell something at 80% of what they paid, they are extremely lucky, or they have a limited availability item that is highly sought after... The most someone could get for a used piece is usually 50%, and only we on these boards can apreciate what the Amora treatment is, I doubt someone on other places would be willing to pay for that. My guess is that it would resale like used moissanite, which would go for less.
 

e.taylor

The Black Orlov
#14
I'm really curious if I'm way off base here. Do you guys watch what moissy goes for on the bistro? Am I misremembering?

And the 80% of the price includes the setting too so people who are purchasing for $1500 are seeming to sell for $1200 or so fairly regularly. Even for the stones though, they don't go for 50% off and if they do I'm not seeing it. Both ashas and moissy's seem to retain far more value than I expected.

ETA: okay right now there's an enhanced OEC 7.5 moissy listed for $750. It sold. For how much I cannot say.

There's a pair of earrings that are listed at a scootch above 30% off after being reduced.

There's an eternity band that sells for $469 that's listed for $450-never worn. (I'm guessing it won't sell that high though!)

A mira ring that cost $1620 is listed at $1500.

Earrings that were $259 new were listed at $200 and sold. Perhaps an offer was made too...but you see where the numbers really seem to be in favor of excellent resale values!
 
#15
I don't think there's any way to gauge by listings alone. You have to know what they actually sell for. I recall someone here being very upset at how much they got for their moissy (can't remember if it was Amora or not) and I thought it sounded about right for second hand. ??

I was going to mention earlier that the OEC's might do better because they are not always available...it's supply and demand.
 

borismom

The Imperial Diamond
#16
The last things I sold on the Bistro all sold with offers. I have a pair of EC studs there that sat for months (they were gorgeous), and someone offered me $200 for them... We ended up agreeing on $220, they were listed at $300, and each stone cost over $200, plus the cost of the settings wich have protector backs, and those aren't cheap!

So kudos to anyone who can sell something at 80% of the retail price!
 

e.taylor

The Black Orlov
#17
borismom said:
The last things I sold on the Bistro all sold with offers. I have a pair of EC studs there that sat for months (they were gorgeous), and someone offered me $200 for them... We ended up agreeing on $220, they were listed at $300, and each stone cost over $200, plus the cost of the settings wich have protector backs, and those aren't cheap!

So kudos to anyone who can sell something at 80% of the retail price!
that stinks!

I've only sold 2 things that I bought new, and that was a few years ago. I definitely got 80% of what I paid. They were ashas and fairly common styles/sizes. That and they had never been worn, so that was part of it.

I guess my perception isn't correct!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

borismom

The Imperial Diamond
#18
My earrings wer Ashas as well... Worn twice, because I got round ones at the same time and ended up wearing those a lot more. So you could say there were new... Oh well... New owner is happy with them.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

kangaroocrazy

The Florentine Diamond
#19
The only thing I think I would get FULL price for right now that is used,..is my 7.5 OEC peachy pink moissy!! lol

But once again,..supply and demand...as you cannot get one right now.

Oh,.and NO WAY am I selling her...lol

Here is something I always thought of,.but never wanted to say it out loud,..or if ANY of you would admit!! hahhaa

When I say "SHOTGUN!!!"

What I am realllllllllly saying is,..when you sell that,..I want it,..for a steal of a deal or a really good price...lol


Does anyone else want to admit that!! hahahahha
 
Last edited by a moderator:

borismom

The Imperial Diamond
#20
LOL Kanga... Me too...


I did sell my blue moissy for a good price, because they were in very short supply... But still. If I see something on the Bistro, I research the retail price and decide based on that... Or make an offer.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top