Rainbow Lorikeets having a party!

rosered

Connoisseur
Took this pic recently of some gorgeous Rainbow Lorikeets and Galahs having such a good time together. Aren't they spectacular!
Their happy chatter and beautiful colors always make me happy

Last edited by a moderator:

sparklee

The Millenium Star
OMG!! How beautiful......

I have a lot of bird feeders outside and love to watch them from my kitchen window, but we don't have anything as beautiful as those birds ~ Bluebirds and Cardinals are it for me.

You lucky lady!!!

smarie

Connoisseur
Wow! That is a spectacular picture. What a beautiful bird! Never even heard of them! In the NE USA all we have are blue jays, wood peckers and cardinals now- some bluebirds in the spring but that's about it for color.
If I saw a bird like that around here-I would assume someone's pet got out!!!

MrsGotRocks

The Imperial Diamond
Oh wow, they are beautiful!! What a happy picture you get to look at daily. Thanks for posting that. I've never heard of either of those birds. Like all else, I get cardinals, blue-jays, yellow finches and hummingbirds, and while all pretty, not as spectacular as those!

rosered

Connoisseur
Bluebirds and Cardinals are it for me. You lucky Lady!!!
Bluebirds and Cardinals are lovely, and I agree, the Rainbow Lorikeets are incredibly beautiful. Thanks, I do feel lucky to live among the treetops here with such gloriously beautiful, happy creatures.

sparklee

The Millenium Star
Actually, I also have Goldfinches, Chickadees, Blue Jays, Titmouses, Juncos, the occasional Hummingbird and an assortment of Doves and Grackles, but the Bluebirds and Cardinals are my favorites.

I'm so envious. They're gorgeous! I'd love to be able to watch them out my back window.

Anozira

The Florentine Diamond
I've never heard of those birds either, they're gorgeous
Are they native to Australia?

Wow! The most colorful bird I see at our feeder is a finch. Other than that, they're all common sparrows. How lucky you are!

Are they native to Australia?
Anozira, I think they are native to Australia, but I'll check and see what Wikipedia says: <span style="color: #000099">Rainbow Lorikeet

The Rainbow Lorikeet (Trichoglossus haematodus) is a species of Australasian parrot found in Australia, eastern Indonesia (Maluku and Western New Guinea), Papua New Guinea, New Caledonia, Solomon Islands and Vanuatu. In Australia, it is common along the eastern seaboard, from Queensland to South Australia and northwest Tasmania. Its habitat is rainforest, coastal bush and woodland areas. Several taxa traditionally listed as subspecies of the Rainbow Lorikeet are increasingly treated as separate species (see Taxonomy).

Rainbow Lorikeets have been introduced to Perth, Western Australia,[2] Auckland, New Zealand[3], Amsterdam, The Netherlands and Hong Kong.</span>

Sparklee and MrsGotRocks, I love hummingbirds, and we don't have any hummingbirds in Australia.

I'd love to see some photos of native birds and all your favorites.

sparklee

The Millenium Star
I don't have any pics of the hummingbirds - they're too fast for me to get a good pic. And while not as beautiful as yours, I thought I'd share some of our bird visitors. We have a lot of feeders and really enjoy sitting on the deck watching them. I sound like such a nerd.........

Here's a Blue Jay eating mealworms

... and a Woodpecker

Hungry Goldfinches

I tried to get a good shot of all the Chickadees and Titmouses crowding the feeder

This was taken in the snow last year. I saw it from my study window and thought the stark contrast was so beautiful. This is a Cardinal.

This was taken at our beach house. I just think these Seagulls are very handsome!

Anozira

The Florentine Diamond
That Bluejay is gorgeous
Love the pics Sparklee! I grew up in the city and so the only birds I ever saw outside the windows were pigeons & crows