Queston....Gel nails or acrylics??

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for my question...it probably isn't, but I wasn't sure where else to put it..LOL I figure if you all have beautiful rings, you know about nails too.

I was wondering which is better to go with..Gel nails or acrylic nails and what is the difference between the two? I have had acrylic nails YEARS ago, I loved them, but hated the way my nails were after I got them removed, I vowed I would never get them again. Well, I'm considering them again just because I get tired of taking the time to do my nails only to have them chip a day or two later. I have bought every anti chip product out there, but nothing works long enough for me. Currently I have been paying for the Shellac manicures, which I love, but the cost of those add up. It's cheaper to get my nails filled every two weeks then get Shellac every two weeks.

Anyway, suggestions would be appreciated!! Thanks!! Megan

I love the gelish gel polish. I do my own at home & it lasts 2 weeks or more without a single chip,& it stays super glossy too. My own nails have grown very long since I started using the gelish structure gel under my mani

Last edited by a moderator:
Queen of Sparkle, what is the structure gel?

To OP - Gelish is a brand of gel nail polish that is applied like regular nail polish and cured under a UV or LED light. It consists of a base coat, colour and top coat. Each coat is applied and then cured. The result is a manicure that lasts a couple of weeks and is very shiny. Removal is a bit of a pain but doable. There are lots of instructional videos on You-Tube.

There are also salon systems by Shellac and OPI (Axxium Soak-Off Gel) and probably others but, if you are used to polishing your own nails, this is really easy to do on your own at home.

This system does involve a bit of a cash outlay out front 'cause of the cost of the curing light but, in the long run, it will save you money.

More info also in this post:

http://betterthandiamond.com/discussion/ubbthreads.php/topics/796343/1