Our New Years Eve Dinner - Indian Food!!!

sparklee

The Millenium Star
Sounds really good! DH and I are HUGE curry lovers! We eat it at least twice a week. Our favorites are Butter Chicken and Palak Gosht, but I'll have to give your one a try too......

Thanks for sharing!

Wonderful recipe, thanks for posting

My kids love, love chx or shrimp curry...any kind, we also eat it often w/Basmati.
Garam masala is widely avail [I like Spice Hunter brand, salt free] at local markets

ps while in Vancouver, try their Japanese, Malaysian food as well #1 in my book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lily said:
Wonderful recipe, thanks for posting

My kids love, love chx or shrimp curry...any kind, we also eat it often w/Basmati.
Garam masala is widely avail [I like Spice Hunter brand, salt free] at local markets

ps while in Vancouver, try their Japanese, Malaysian food as well #1 in my book.
I love sushi so if you have a few suggestions for Vancouver, that would be great!!

Oooh that recipe looks fantastic!! DH and I also love Indian food. There are many excellent Indian restaurants in our area. Anyone who has good recipes for Indian food, please share!!

At home, I usually use the ready made sauces from Trader Joes. They have excellent masala, curry, spinach and korma sauces. They also sell naan (frozen, just heat it up). I make some basmati rice and some steamed vegies and we have a great dinner!

I love sushi so if you have a few suggestions for Vancouver, that would be great!!
Sure! Toshi [small place, long lines, worth waiting for

Itachi Hana nice, the best Tuna tataki
Shiro
[family owned] scallop rolls TDF!

Jenny said:
Anyone who has good recipes for Indian food, please share!
Just for Jenny

Mum's Chicken Curry

3 Tb oil, canola/olive ok
1 med onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 TB curry powder
1/8 Ts ground cinnamon
1 Ts paprika
1 ts cayenne pepper [optional] I never do

1 bay leaf
1/2 Ts white sugar
1 Ts salt to taste
2 skinless, bonless chicken thigh meat [or breast meat]= 1lb
cut into bite size
1 TB tomato paste
1 Cup plain yogurt
3/4 C coconut milk
1/2 lime juiced [fresh please]

OPEN YOUR WINDOWS

Heat olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat, add chopped onion, saute until soft, add garlic, curry, cinnamon, paprika and bay leaf, stir, let spices release their aroma and keep stirring to avoid burning them, this will just take a minute, add sugar, salt, chicken pieces, tomato paste, yogurt and coconut milk, stir, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
Remove bay leaf and stir in the juice of 1/2 lime, simmer 2 more minutes, serve with steamed Basmati and pita bread, decorate w/cilantro leaves.
Enjoy!

edited to say, for children/heat sensitive: add two large potatoes [peeled & diced] after the first 15 minutes of simmering = thicker, milder dish, adjust the salt.

I picked up some garam masala today at Jungle Jims which is an incredible unique store that has just about everything you could ever imagine. I have some cooking to do!

ocMrsB

Omniscient
i have 2 killer indian recipes i'll post sometime, one is for garlic naan and the other is for chicken tikka masala.

mmmmm!!

You're welcome Jenny, MrsB can't wait for the tikka recipe

This are from my freezer [ rainy day] made months ago served w/salad today:

Samosa [beef]

1 lb lean ground beef [turkey, chix ok]
2 large potatoes, peeled/diced
2 tb vegetable/canola oil
1 bay leaf
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 ts salt or to taste
1 ts ground coriander
1/2 tb ginger, minced
1/2 ts ground black pepper
1/4 ts ground turmeric [optional but gives coloring]
1/2 ts cayenne powder
1/2 ts ground cumin
1/2 ts ground cinnamon
1/4 ts ground cardamom
1-2 tb chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded & minced [optional, never do]
1 pkg puff pastry [I prefer Indoeuropean brand, 10 lg sheets, easy to work with]

Cook potatoes in a medium saucepan in lightly salted water, cook until potatoes are tender but firm, drain.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, sautee onion and garlic until soft, add All of the spices and bay leaf, cook 1 minute or until they release their aroma, add the ground beef and cook until evenly brown, if there's any visible fat, drain it, or move the meat to one part of the pan, place a paper towel on that space and tilt the pan towards it to absorb any trace, discard the towel and the bay leaf, add the cooked potatoes, cilantro, stir and let cool.
Preheat your oven to 375^ take the pastry out of the freezer, let thaw for 5 minutes and start filling each square with 1 TB of the stuffing in the center, wet two sides of the square and fold to make a triangle, press edges w/fork to seal and prick the center of the samosa w/it to allow steam to escape, place onto ungreased cookie sheets, [this is when I stop & Freeze] or:
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown, Yields a dozen large ones.
Some will use egg roll or won ton wrappers and deep fry

Others use Phyllo dough and form triangles and fry or bake, served as appetizers, either way, they're good.

Cricketgrrl

BTD Crown Jewel
Oh, I love, love, LOVE Indian food! These recipes are making me salivate --- it's dinner time and nothing anywhere near as delicious as these recipes (and photos!
) is on the radar.

I also love Thai (and all other Asian foods, too), and often make Pad Thai as well as red beef or chicken curry with Basmati rice. Mmmmmm.

maryl

Connoisseur
Oh, those look so yummy! I need to make one of these great recipes some time soon. I need to go buy the ingredients first. I believe/hope there are a few Indian grocery stores around here.

sparklee

The Millenium Star
Those samosas sound awesome Lily! I usually make them with potato and peas, and use the wonton wrappers. But your method sounds yummy, and I assume it would be easier....... I'm going to try that next week!

Thanks, you're absolutely right, the original recipe [from friend] had 1/2 C of thawed peas
but my youngest 'hates' them [eyes in her food]

For those with 'seasoned' palates the original recipe also had a full TS of cayenne, 1/2 TS cardamom & 1 TS cumin...way too spicy for my family.
Wonton somosas are delish! I smash the potato for those and use parsley if I don't have cilatro around