Our Bengal kitty, Koa

nikkikeith said:
as long as she knows ur the boss and shes not u wont have any problems...our first family dog when i was a child was a daschund and she was perfect...i miss her dearly
Oops, just saw your post. Thanks Nikkikeith. THAT'S the advice we've been wanting to hear. So much negativity around here... people keep telling us it's going to just one day spontaneously attack our DD. I think they are crazy. We're very good to our animals, my wife's trained dogs before. And I would be sure the dog always knows that our DD is her alpha. I love animals, but my daughter comes first. Always.

Last edited by a moderator:
your kitty is beautiful! what a gorgeous cat! I'm sure she will be fine with your children. I had cats from when I was a small child, and was fine! As long as everyone is good, you know, no pulling tails and stuff, kitty will be good I'm sure. No cat will spontaneously attack anyone I'm sure. enjoy her, she's lovely!

Thanks SapphireCats!
Koa is AMAZING with our daughter. Even if DD is being less than gentle (as 3 year olds sometimes are...), Koa will just plaster herself to the floor, and call out to us to come rescue her. She never hurts DD. So, it's taught our DD to be gentle right back to her. They like each other now. Most of the time.

The question of 'spontaneous attacks' wasn't from our kitty however. It's about a puppy we adopted - we're picking said puppy up tonight.

sparklee

The Millenium Star
GeorgeM said:
My wife's gonna shoot me if she has to use pee pads on the floor for 10 months...

Most trainers will tell you those pee pads are a bad idea as they tell the puppy it's okay to go inside. Later when she's older, you have to re-train her to go outside, and that transition can take longer, and lead to "accidents" in the house. It's better to find a way to get puppy outside to the designated area. A ramp is a very good idea!!!

Dana ♥

The Centenary Diamond
and, y'know, it wouldn't need to be a very wide ramp... just a six-inch-wide incline on the far side of the steps would be enough. you could even put one on each side of the steps so it looked intentional, like a frame?
i'm not explaining myself well, but hopefully you get the gist of it?

Good point sparklee. re-training can be harder than the initial training. Ugh. I think I'd owe my wife a lot of sparkly things if I put her through that... a ramp it is! LOL.

Dana - nice idea! Flanking the step might look decent... hmm... I'm off to Home Depot this afternoon I guess!

Thanks for sharing your lovely pics of Koa, she is stunning. I'd love a big beautiful Bengal. Your sleeping pic is so adorable. Please come back and post more pics of Koa and your new puppy.

Cricketgrrl

BTD Crown Jewel
GeorgeM, your Koa (and DD) is beautiful! Thanks for the photos and the link to silver bengals. I'm forwarding that to my sister. Both types of Bengals are incredible!

Looking forward to seeing pix of your new pup. We have a friend who had young children and a mini-Dachsie. The little dog was awesome with the kids! She kinda thought they were littermates, though...
They all played and rolled about, and tumbled and ran through the house. My friend ran a daycare, so there were lots of youngsters. No one was ever hurt or bitten by Rosie.

Thanks sparklee, MissD (love the new avatar!), rosered and Cricketgrrl!

sparklee said:
GeorgeM said:
I think I'd owe my wife a lot of sparkly things if I put her through that...
DARN!! I shouldn't have said anything!
LOL.
I'm all talk. I spoil DW whenever I can.

rosered said:
Please come back and post more pics of Koa and your new puppy.
I will, whenever Koa decides she's okay with the new puppy. They're having a very difficult time right now.
Koa won't stay in the same room long enough to see that a tiny puppy isn't a threat to her.

Cricketgrrl said:
GeorgeM, your Koa (and DD) is beautiful! Thanks for the photos and the link to silver bengals. I'm forwarding that to my sister. Both types of Bengals are incredible!

Looking forward to seeing pix of your new pup. We have a friend who had young children and a mini-Dachsie. The little dog was awesome with the kids! She kinda thought they were littermates, though...
They all played and rolled about, and tumbled and ran through the house. My friend ran a daycare, so there were lots of youngsters. No one was ever hurt or bitten by Rosie.
Thanks for the assurance on our mini-Dach... it gives me hope.
Rosie sounds sweet!

My wife took our puppy (named "Soffee" by DD, we have no idea why but she's adamant on the pronunciation... rhymes with coffee...) to our daughter's preschool yesterday for all the kids to meet her. She was held and petted and "mangled" by 17 children between the ages of 2 to 4. She apparently did amazingly well. The children loved her, and she had a blast. It was definitely a good way to start her socialization with kids! (I should note that DW had permission from the teacher to do this - they love when pets visit the class there.)

Pics of the pup will be up in their own thread soon enough... I've only been taking them with my iPhone so far, so they won't be the best quality, but you can see how she could win anyone over... puppy eyes... lol.