No sugar?!

yes, I asked my cardiologist if it was close to Atkins, she said similar, but w/Southbeach you eat lean-low fat meat instead of Atkins any/all meat. I drink a lot of water-all day, I love water, so that has never been a problem. You are right, after I did WW for so long when i ate high carb, it actually made me sick.
basically I have no choice in the matter, I have to get this re-gained weight off and stick to this, more for health than my damaged self image. Sheez, at 52 I still have to deal w/this?!

jcent said:
Southbeach is super similar to Atkins and Perricone... I have done all three at certsain points.
I have never done Paleo, but I think that is really simialr as well. They are all low GI and more of a lifestyle, once you get into them. Once you retrain yourself to think differerntly about food, you willf ind they are really not too restrictive. There are substitutes for so many things now.
And while at first shredded cauliflour may not seem at all close to rice, lol, feel good and being healthy will make it not all that bad.
I think overtime, you will just get used to eating this way, and you will find lots of things you can eat, that you never thought of or tried before. This is generally how we eat as a family, including my 2 year old DD. I do give my DD some rice and gluten free bread on occasion, but mostly she eats what we do.

When I do not eat this way, I gain weight, and I am generally just more tired and lethargic, and I crave things... At certain times the cravings are so intense that I have trouble saying no to myself. When I do eat this way, I wake up with energy, my weight is easliy maintained with normal exercise, and I feel in control of my eating. No cravings
I REALLY need to do something like this. I also need to start walking at the very least. I do so little now that when I go up the stairs, my heart starts beating very quickly and I get short of breath. I am only 29!! I have been so mean to my body since having my kids apparently. Before having my first, I did Lindora before my wedding and lost 35lbs. and felt really good. I could have still lost weight but got pregnant right away. I was fairly good at maintaining my weight and then this last year, it all went to hell. I have gained a least 20 lbs. and weigh more now then I did while I was pregnant with my last. I have tried random ways of changing my diet and losing a little and then going right back to my old eating habits.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with you Kanga, I am on the no sugar, no bread train- i love bread! I could live just on bread.My cousin brought over this pecan/cinnamon bread i pushed it so far back on the counter so I can't see it-I swear I hear it whispering my name everytime I am in the kitchen:( But, I have to eat/live the low Glycemic Index way so there is no turning back.
Kanga why don't you start off slowly, just cut back and then gradually eliminate-it might help decrease the headaches.

GingerKaBluey said:
jcent said:
Southbeach is super similar to Atkins and Perricone... I have done all three at certsain points.
I have never done Paleo, but I think that is really simialr as well. They are all low GI and more of a lifestyle, once you get into them. Once you retrain yourself to think differerntly about food, you willf ind they are really not too restrictive. There are substitutes for so many things now.
And while at first shredded cauliflour may not seem at all close to rice, lol, feel good and being healthy will make it not all that bad.
I think overtime, you will just get used to eating this way, and you will find lots of things you can eat, that you never thought of or tried before. This is generally how we eat as a family, including my 2 year old DD. I do give my DD some rice and gluten free bread on occasion, but mostly she eats what we do.

When I do not eat this way, I gain weight, and I am generally just more tired and lethargic, and I crave things... At certain times the cravings are so intense that I have trouble saying no to myself. When I do eat this way, I wake up with energy, my weight is easliy maintained with normal exercise, and I feel in control of my eating. No cravings
I REALLY need to do something like this. I also need to start walking at the very least. I do so little now that when I go up the stairs, my heart starts beating very quickly and I get short of breath. I am only 29!! I have been so mean to my body since having my kids apparently. Before having my first, I did Lindora before my wedding and lost 35lbs. and felt really good. I could have still lost weight but got pregnant right away. I was fairly good at maintaining my weight and then this last year, it all went to hell. I have gained a least 20 lbs. and way more now then I did while I was pregnant with my last. I have tried random ways of changing my diet and losing a little and then going right back to my old eating habits.
What is Lindora?

kangaroocrazy

The Florentine Diamond
Hahahah SB!!
I thought food only whispered my name all day!! lol

I also could LOVE on bread!! Thats us carb and sugar addicts!!

Diamondgal turned me onto a great free site...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

If you sign up,..and log your foods, etc,..we can follow each other and help encourage each other!!

I think I already have an account on that place! How sad am I???
I'm on that, WW and Soutbeach sites !! for the love of heaven, I'm a loser-hahahahha!sigh....

jcent

BTD Crown Jewel
The cravings are INTENSE, you are not losers, lol. I guess I shouldn't say I never want those things, it is just that I *can* control myslef when they are out of my body, so I don't give into it. They are just foods that I no longer eat. When I eat them regularily, I can't say no. They will win eventually and I will cave and eat it, and then the cycle continues, over and over. I have been on one of these programs 75% of the time since 18... When I started, Atkins was differernt. It was still okay to eat a lot of bacon, lol. But now Atkins is more in line with lean meats, although does not forbid other meats. And now Atkins allows more carbs in terms of net carbs and more fruits. Whichever one you chose, it will give you control back
But you do have to reprogram yourself to think about food. It is not just for pleasure, but for nutrition mainly...but you should enjoy it as well.

There are quite a few of us that eat this way on here, including E.Taylor and sparklee, and I am sure you can pm any of us if you need help or support, and we will all be happy to assist if we can. At some point I think we have all fallen of the wagon, lol, but as I get older, I find I am on WAY more than I am off. With pregnancy I have found myself eating some gluten free bread some days, but since we have to be GF, and the breads are not as good, I don't want them like I otherwise would. I am seriously just as happy wrapping some meat in lettuce leaves. I eat more fruit now than I otherwise would, but baby has to eat, lol.

borismom

The Imperial Diamond
Had my appointment today... Doctor was gentle and kind, but firm. I have to cut all refined sugars out, and lower unrefined. I also need to keep a healthy lifestyle! One of the tests he ordered measured my blood glucose and insulin and then something that I think is the combination of the two. That number was at 4.6, the range being between 0.something and 4. The doctor told me my number should be at or below 2!

I am not a diabetic.. At least not yet.
BUT, I am at risk... I have PCOS and have been glucose intolerant for years and on metformin. I got my dose increased for now, and I get another appointment in a couple of months.

I was the stick thin kid and could always eat whatever I wanted. Also, there were always sweets at home when growing up, so my relationship with food is really bad.

I think I'm going to tape that blood test result page in a really prominent place to kick my butt into action. It scared me sh*tless when I first read it on Friday!

elf925

The Pink Orchid
borismom said:
Had my appointment today... Doctor was gentle and kind, but firm. I have to cut all refined sugars out, and lower unrefined. I also need to keep a healthy lifestyle! One of the tests he ordered measured my blood glucose and insulin and then something that I think is the combination of the two. That number was at 4.6, the range being between 0.something and 4. The doctor told me my number should be at or below 2!

I am not a diabetic.. At least not yet.
BUT, I am at risk... I have PCOS and have been glucose intolerant for years and on metformin. I got my dose increased for now, and I get another appointment in a couple of months.

I was the stick thin kid and could always eat whatever I wanted. Also, there were always sweets at home when growing up, so my relationship with food is really bad.

I think I'm going to tape that blood test result page in a really prominent place to kick my butt into action. It scared me sh*tless when I first read it on Friday!
good luck! Im rooting for you!

e.taylor

The Black Orlov
I'm sure we can definitely figure out some good choices for you so you have some staples in your diet that you can go to easily. I find that even having 5 or 6 meals I can make without thinking about it helps so much. Same with snacks. I think you can tweak pretty easily and get some great results.

kangaroocrazy said:
Btrflai!! how are you doing on this!?? You said you were also a big sugar addict!! Update!!
Kanga, on day 10 I feel AMAZING!!!!! I've never felt this good in my entire life!

I had an itty bitty headache one day for about 2 hours but that was nothing compared to the migraines I used to get so I rode that one out

I am all about clean eating now and I don't know why I was so afraid of it.

Here's yesterday's menu, for example:

Morning: 1 cup of choffee with a dash of raw Lavender Honey
2 egg whites, spinach and a banana

Snack: Smoothie: Organic berry mix (raspberries, blackberries, strawberries), whole ground flaxseed meal, 1 scoop of Max Muscle protein mix, a splash of Almond Oil and a quick splash of milk.

Lunch: Salad with carrots, tomatoes, and grilled chicken on top - no dressing

Snack: Handful of raw almonds and an Orange

Dinner: Baked Orange Roughy, Rice Medley from Trader Joe's, Artichokes

Dessert: (I eat dessert no later than 6:00pm) Greek Yogurt with sliced strawberries and raw honey drizzled lightly on top.

No refined sugars and loving every moment of it!!!

Now I need to read through this thread and catch up with everyone else =)

Oh! And someone told me the other day I am basically cheating on my "no refined sugars" with raw honey.

I haven't looked into this enough but if it is, I guess I am a cheater! lol

I don't use much of it but I think raw honey is a great alternative to the other options available.

I could and should ask my Mom/nutritionist.

I know my Mom eats raw honey though but then again she recently told me that she doesn't limit anything now. She has everything in moderation.

I wish I could post a pic of my Mom here!! She's 54 and looks like she's 40! It's kind of a weird thought that my Mom is in better shape than I am. Somethingis wrong with that

I was shocked that my doctor thought my weight of 155 on my 5'7 body is more than appropriate. I said I wanted to be 135 and she strongly advised against that. Thoughts?

e.taylor

The Black Orlov
it's not so much about height/weight as it is about muscle mass and skeletal structure. Some people are large framed, some are small framed. Some people carry a lot of muscle, some people don't.

I wouldn't make it about the number on the scale, frankly.

I think raw honey is more than acceptable, fwiw. High in fructose, but the body processes it very differently (presumably because of the enzymes and mineral content) than other high fructose foods like agave nectar or corn syrup.

e. taylor you rock! Thank you for explaining how my body processes honey =) I am not going to kick myself for it then.

I'm glad you brought up agave nectar because someone was telling me to buy that and now I won't.

What you said is exactly what my doc said. She said I need to focus on exchanging fat with muscle. That being said, I probably won't and shouldn't really see or even focus on any loss in weight. I don't have a scale in my house and my doc said to keep it that way.

I have no idea why I never talk to my Mom about this stuff when she's always there to help and more than educated. What is up with that? I guess just because she is Mom before she is anything else and sometimes I have to hear things from other people to actually listen. LOL

Thanks a bunch, e.taylor!

e.taylor

The Black Orlov
yeah, sometimes it's hard to go to the people in our own lives that know stuff for some reason! lol!

I am like a one woman personal crusade against agave nectar for SO MANY REASONS. That's like the most unhealthy sweetener on the planet. No joke I'd rather my kids have HFCS. I gave a big lecture to my favorite bakery (in private-not in front of people) when they decided to go "sugar free!" and use agave nectar in every-freaking-thing.

I told them of ALL the people in the world, the celiac disease population should never use it, nor should anyone with liver issues at all. Luckily they did stop using it for the most part. I think they got the message when I started asking what was in everything and if it had agave I was like, "nope! thank you!"

I hate hate HATE that it's considered to be "health food."

borismom

The Imperial Diamond
Wow E.Taylor, who would have known? They promote agave nectar as healthy! Yikes.

Day 2

Limited cokes, no chocolate. At all. Happy to say I haven't got a headache and the sweaty, jittery feeling I had yesterday passed as well. Had a little chocolate craving but was able to distract myself from it. Ate jicama as a snack, and I know two days is very little time, but I swear my bloated belly feels smaller.