No sugar?!

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone ever followed this clean way of living: www.TheGraciousPantry.com.?

A friend of mine has been following this woman and her way of living/recipes for 30 days and she looks AMAZING!!!

She worked out while following this way of eating and doing the Jillian 30-day Shred videos at home.

It's not that she lost any weight but she's turned fat into muscle and the transformation is unbelievable!

I'm not a fast food junkie, I don't eat breads or high fat foods BUT I do eat sugar like a fiend. I love it in my coffee, tea, I love cookies, chocolate bars, chocolate coffee drinks, etc. It's BAD!

Anyways, after seeing my friend make such a transformation and my Mom (Personal Trainer and Nutritionist) telling me for years that sugar needs to be cut out of my diet.....I am giving this a go!

Has anyone cut all of their sugars (bad sugars) out? If so, did you get headaches, grumpy, GI issues?

elf925

The Pink Orchid
I don't know. I mean I "get it" the health facts and science make sense and seem sound to me but I can't ever get the nagging "people for hundreds and hundreds of years ate sugar, carbs etc... and didn't have problems" thought out of my head.

My personal opinion is that the junk in the air, all the preservatives in the food and beauty products, the chemically altered grains etc are the real problems we face.

We eat special breads and use flour from ancient grains only and I only buy grass fed beef and milk. I only buy level 5 animal products when I do and always always always organic.

Of course I was "damaged" but my kids have been on as natural of a diet as I could possibly get them on and they are rarely, if ever, sick. My son lives on fries but I make them from organic potatoes and fry them myself.

I don't think that there is one fix all for everyone and moderation is the key to everything. Treats are ok. I provide the base for my families diet needs but I can't be with them all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

e.taylor

The Black Orlov
elf925 said:
I don't know. I mean I "get it" the health facts and science make sense and seem sound to me but I can't ever get the nagging "people for hundreds and hundreds of years ate sugar, carbs etc... and didn't have problems" thought out of my head.
they did, but they didn't. refined sugar wasn't introduced that long ago. in that, even when it was available in the 17th century, it was a luxury item. It was around mid 18th century that it's use was more widespread and there's documented decline in health with it's introduction. Also even though it existed, the amount consumed per person annually is NOTHING like it is now.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Refined Sugar Consumption Trends in Past 300 Years:

In 1700, the average person consumed about 4 pounds of sugar per year.
In 1800, the average person consumed about 18 pounds of sugar per year.
In 1900, individual consumption had risen to 90 pounds of sugar per year.
In 2009, more than 50 percent Americans consume 1/2 pound of sugar per day, which is 180 pounds of sugar per year.

In 1890, obesity rate in US for white males, age group 50's only, were 3.4%. In 1975, the obesity rate in US of all population was 15%. In 2009, 32% of Americans are obese.

In 1893, there were fewer than 3 diabetes per 100,000 people in US. Today, there are 8,000 diabetes per 100,000 people in US.

Currently, worldwide annual consumption of refined sugar is about 120 million tons (about 15% is in US alone, which is 18 million tons) and it is increasing at a rate of about 2 million tons per year. About 75% of sugar is consumed within its production country. About 25% is traded internationally. In many industrialized countries, sugar has become one of the most heavily subsidized agricultural products (along with corn and soy to feed live stocks for meat production). </span>

as far as carbs, yes people ate them. But as you know ancient grains are different from modern grains too, as was the preparation of said grains.

ELF, totally agree with your post.

e.taylor

The Black Orlov
I have personally cut out refined sugar for years at a time. Yes, it's hard for the first week or so, but it passes. I always feel MUCH better off it. It sneaks back-the longest I was ever without sugar with no cheats was 5 years IIRC. And I only know that because I was on a very specific protocol due to my daughter's health.

It's worth a try for sure! Just don't get discouraged the first week!

Thanks, e.taylor! My Mom is here with me and just read your posts. She said, "Dang, she really knows her stuff!" That says A LOT coming from my Mom =)

Elf, I believe that treats are definitely okay. It's just that I need to aim more for fresh strawberry's with greek yogurt and a dab of honey on top rather than a king sized box of Junior Mints!!

e.taylor, I am going to brace myself for a hard week and do my best to overcome any cravings. While growing up I ate a very clean diet and I felt amazing. In my adulthood, adding all of the sugary junk I have has really taken a toll on how I feel.

I also really need to cut out sugar, but I love it so much. lol Argh. I also don't believe in fake sugars. I would consider switching all sugars over to xylitol, which is a natural sugar substitute and low glycemic. I definitely get a headache and am a raging b!tch when I cut out sugar and carbs, but do always feel much better after that stage is over.

elf: So then do you eat manna bread or Ezekiel bread? We used to buy Ezekiel bread and then stopped, but I am going to switch back again. I would like to start making my own breads as well. What grains do you buy to make them?

kangaroocrazy

The Florentine Diamond
LOL Ginger,..I also turn into a raging B**** and momster!!

I have tried it umpteen times,.get headaches, etc.
I feel like a major addict and always fall off the wagon and get so disappointed in myself.

Now I need to lose alot of weight again,..and i feel like such a loser!! And not the good kind on the show...lol

E.Taylor,...I did HCG,...wow its hard,..of course lost great,..then slowly ate like a pig again...all back now.
Can you come live with me please and do it with me??

jcent

BTD Crown Jewel
I think there is no good in refined sugar. It just has nothing good for you in, and more than that, is harmful in the quantities some of us in the Western world eat it. However, we do have sweet tasts buds for a reason! When I am PG, I am easy on myself, in terms of whatever I can get down. But generally speaking, we are a sugar free house. My DD gets teats sometimes, like a kinder egg or some Reese peanut better cup, or ice cream... but I eat it hardly ever and DH eats it at work...if someone brings in baked goods etc. Getting it out of your system can be tough though! So be prepared for some harsh cravings and bad headaches. I use substitues when I can; love stevia and honey.

this is a blogger I like
She has some good tips.

http://www.youtube.com/v/k0E3tLLe0BM

and here is the first part of a sugar substitute series she did

http://www.youtube.com/v/Dd92jLjAppM

elf925

The Pink Orchid
I use a spelt/ancient wheat blend. I say ancient wheat because the wheat that we have now is genetically altered and not even close to the wheat we had on this planet hundreds of years ago. There are a couple of places that grow ancient wheat still. They are very, very small though and as you would guess, very expensive. I shop at an Indian (as in the country) market. That culture is excellent for as nature meant it to be kinda stuff. The flour I use is proprietary to the store I think. I also only use khanda as my "sugar." Its the old word for sugar and its unrefined.

Im very, very lucky. I live in southern California and have access to everything! I know it's much harder in other parts of the country.

kangaroocrazy

The Florentine Diamond
OMG,..Jcent,..
I went to watch her videos UNTIL I saw one of hers that says to learn how to DRINK your own urine!!!!!!!!!

I need to go brush my teeth!! ewwwwe!!!! And that not because I tried it!! lol

e.taylor

The Black Orlov
oh dear. that is a really old practice and one of my teachers highly endorses it as a practice. He was my favorite and most brilliant teacher AND a phenomenal practitioner but....NOPE.

e.taylor

The Black Orlov
kangaroocrazy said:
HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!
Out of curiosity watched it!!
It was a April Fools joke!!
Boy,..she is naughty!!!
Now THAT'S funny. Cause it really is a "thing."

Those are great jcent! I did, however, read recently that brown rice syrup has a lot of arsenic in it and it should be avoided because of that. Is anything safe to eat any more? lol

I bought some stevia at Sprouts this afternoon and intend to use it in my coffee instead of sugar starting tomorrow. I am also going to switch to using our raw honey in oatmeal instead of sugar. I really like coconut nectar for baking and for smoothies. I am out though.

e.taylor

The Black Orlov
I tend to stay away from fructose-with the exception of honey which doesn't have the same effects on the liver as other fructose. This is good, as I raise bees. lol. My favorite sweetener is stevia, but be sure to use a non-bitter liquid. And a little goes a LONG way. In recipes that call for 1 cup of sugar I use 1 tsp of liquid stevia.

I kind of disagree with diets that u cant live with for the long haul. Its not practical and it doesnt keep us carboaddicts friendly.

Keep it in moderation..1 sweet a day (not an ENTIRE pint of ice cream..ONE serving).. And i think youll get pretty good weight loss results. I do.

Im 30. I went to a trainer and said "in reality, Do i really need to cut sugar out of my diet bc i cant..so how often can i eat cookies and still lose weight?" He said that ive eaten sugar for 30 years and it would rediculous and impractical to say just cut it out 100% now. My goal is not to look like a figure model either. So long as i keep my calories at around 1600 a day and eat a balanced diet, meaning majority healthy veggies, lean meat, whole grain etc, im good. And its been going real well!

elf925

The Pink Orchid
SparklySweet said:
I kind of disagree with diets that u cant live with for the long haul. Its not practical and it doesnt keep us carboaddicts friendly.

Keep it in moderation..1 sweet a day (not an ENTIRE pint of ice cream..ONE serving).. And i think youll get pretty good weight loss results. I do.

Im 30. I went to a trainer and said "in reality, how often can i eat cookies and lose weight?" He said that ive eaten sugar for 30 years and it would rediculous and impractical to say just cut it out 100% now. My goal is not to look like a figure model either. So long as i keep my calories at around 1600 a day and eat a balanced diet, meaning majority healthy veggies, lean meat, whole grain etc, im good. And its been going real well!
That's the difference between "diet" and lifestyle. Sugar free and natural are a lifestyle not a diet.