Newbie and Excited Owner of Amora AVR!

Hello Everyone!

I'm not new to these forums, however, long time lurker, first time poster. I hope it's ok for me to post here... I am just bursting with excitement since my new Amora AVR arrived today and had to break my "lurker" status to share.

I've long dreamed of owning one of Jonathan's amazingly cut AVRs or AVCs, so after finding out that these delicious cuts would be available in Amora gems, it seemed my dream may actually come true sooner than later. I rushed to place my deposit after reading the update that 8mm and above were coming soon. I thought for certain I wouldn't hear anything until end of June or into July, so imagine my surprise when Less messaged they had a stone matching my specs available last week! After I was done doing cartwheels, I confirmed and finalized my order.

Waiting over the weekend was difficult, but now she's here... for those of you curious about the cut, it's just exquisite! The stats are 2.49ct actual wt, 2.74 equivalent wt, I color, VS1, 8.68x8.72x5.93mm.

Please excuse my terrible photography, but here is my shameless picture show... :D

Indoor natural lighting

IMG_6881.JPG

IMG_6882.JPG

IMG_6880.JPG

I have a FB OEC and had to see how they compare. While I think the OEC is best cut from FB, it doesn't compare with the gorgeous facet design of the AVR. There is also just something different about the AVR cut that eliminates the double reflections that I often see in the FB. To me, the AVR Amora looks more like its diamond cousin than the FB OEC does to an OEC diamond.

IMG_6877.JPG

Here are some comparisons with my GIA M color triple X MRB

IMG_6870.JPG

And along with my GIA D color OEC

IMG_6872.JPG

IMG_6873.JPG

For those of you who are cut nuts and evaluate ASETs, I took one of the AVR and FB... To be fair, the FB is mounted and I had a glare issue on one facet, but the difference in light return is undeniable! The range of red vs green in the AVR is substantially higher than the FB

AVR:

IMG_6875.JPG

FB OEC:

IMG_6876.JPG

This just goes to show the precision of the AVR cut and how it really is designed for maximum light return. I'm impressed!

Last edited:
Thank you! I wanted to post my pics but they don't do the stone justice! Are these on a camera or cell phone and what kind if you don't mind me asking? I picked my AVR up from Fedex yesterday and already took hundreds of pics on my 6s plus iPhone and it takes this absolutely perfectly beautiful stone and makes it look below average. My pics look nothing like life viewing. It does the same to my triple ideal cut cut diamond.

Thank you! I wanted to post my pics but they don't do the stone justice! Are these on a camera or cell phone and what kind if you don't mind me asking? I picked my AVR up from Fedex yesterday and already took hundreds of pics on my 6s plus iPhone and it takes this absolutely perfectly beautiful stone and makes it look below average. My pics look nothing like life viewing. It does the same to my triple ideal cut cut diamond.
Yay! You must be so thrilled about your AVR too - isn't it simply gorgeous? Please do post your pics! I agree though, photos simply do not compare with seeing these gems in real life.

The pics and videos I posted above were taken from my iPhone 6s plus as well, so I did my best to cull through the hundreds of pics I took to share the best. One thing I noticed was the quality of the photos degraded once I posted them, so many of them look much fuzzier than I see them on my phone/tablet.

Have you already chosen your setting? I have been pouring through a variety of styles and can't even begin to narrow down the choices! :confused:

Thanks for sharing your lovely pics with us.All the stones look great,but I must admit that I am really drawn to your beautiful FB OEC! It is so dreamy :) :)
The FB OEC is a great stone... since it's no longer available from C&C, I've been cherishing it. :) However, given my lengthy wish/project list, I may put it up for sale if I don't give it the wear time it's due. We shall see.

Oh gosh ... falling all over myself here.
You are The Man, Rhino!! Thanks for helping to make this gem a reality for us... I am *still* floating in AV heaven. :D I can't wait for the AVC to be available... hopefully it's soon!

Beautiful photos, thanks! IRL, which stone performs best, the OEC or AVR?
This is a tough question... it is really subjective and depends on each person's definition/criteria of performance.

Let me first say both are really, really beautiful stones. However, if I had to pick one, I'd say it is the AVR. Some of the reasons I lean towards it are noted in my posts above:

1. The AVR has a much better ASET image - and that is with the OEC showing a really strong ASET result.
2. I have not noticed the double reflection behavior I see regularly in the OEC. Sometimes those double reflections give it a really strange, plastic-like look, imho.
3. I have observed the AVR to display more pastel colors and greater flashes of fire than the OEC
4. The AVR has girdle facets! I'm not certain if this actually helps to enhance the performance, but it definitely is a nice touch that makes me feel like I have a fully "polished" stone.
5. Another characteristic of the AVR is it appears more "flowery." I know this isn't a technical term, but the cut is more appealing (at least to my eyes) and doesn't have the funny look of a navel in the center that I often see in the OEC.
6. The AVR behaves very much like my real diamonds - more so than my FB OEC does compared to them. This may or may not be a performance factor, but for those who are specifically looking for the most diamond-like alternative, it can be important.

I kept telling myself that if I wasn't absolutely thrilled with it, I'd return it. But that was an unnecessary worry on my part. The only place this AVR is going is onto a fabulous setting and then on my finger. lol :p

Last edited:
In addition to the pretty "flowery" center it seems to have a snowflake appearance between the flowery part and outer edge. Do you see that too, Stonewell? I feel it adds to the beauty.

In addition to the pretty "flowery" center it seems to have a snowflake appearance between the flowery part and outer edge. Do you see that too, Stonewell? I feel it adds to the beauty.
Yes Mrs2Ouch, I do! That's a fantastic way to describe it - it's like a perfect snowflake captured within the stone.

Now seeing these next to each other, I am also drawn to the FB OEC, maybe it's the "hole" right in the centre..something like there is another added facet to see. I think makes it more look chunk-y, and it's a unique mark that sets it apart from brilliant, HA cuts. Now, I am hoping culet stays in the upcomung AVCs.

Thank you for sharing your fabulous photos with us and enjoy your new gem:)

Last edited:
Will do! It should arrive here tomorrow. I wrestled with whether or not to get the Jovyn as well. Both are gorgeous! In the end, I have other knife edge solitaires and also wanted the brushed satin finish to be more obvious. So, the Gemma was the right choice for me.

She's here! First impressions.... it's love at first sight. The AVR looks fabulous in Caysie's Gemma and I'm absolutely amazed at the delicateness of the ring and prongs. It's been a hectic day so I only got to play around and do a brief photo/video shoot late in the day.

I paired it up with my Tiffany platinum/rose gold band for now - I've ordered Caysie's Sophia band, which hopefully will arrive soon! It will have the same brushed satin finish. One note to consider about the Gemma setting, if you're obsessed about bands sitting completely flushed, that won't work with this setting. It has a donut at the base, so there's approximately a 1mm gap between the ring and band. I actually like the look of a slight gap and feel it may help to prevent wear on both rings from excessive rubbing.

Now for some pics!

58621336-0A60-4F33-B471-D04968B1C80E.JPG

DAC2DE92-8682-4AA3-A15D-36C31BB94B59.JPG

B27F4F70-4A2C-487B-B5F0-C6C11B32999E.JPG

1C857201-0550-4AAC-BBA5-A2179ACC4509.JPG

DDAF5A93-E83F-4F30-9C96-3878E60E7CC1.JPG

Here's a short video:

I also took some comparison shots with my MRB diamond. If this looks different than my previous pics I posted back in June, it's because it's a different diamond! I snuck in a diamond upgrade while I was waiting for the AVR. ;):D

FullSizeRender.jpg

63A7139F-30E5-4997-B017-7ABE6854D2BA.JPG

And a quick video of both rings so you can see how they both look:

Overall, I'm so impressed with my Amora AVR and absolutely smitten now she's set in the Gemma. Kudos to Less, Jonathan and Caysie... you guys have been fantastic to work with and I love my new ring!! :p

gemcat

Super Moderator
Congratulations!! Your AVR is perfect in your new setting. I'm delighted to see so many IRL photos and videos of the AVR and yours is gorgeous.

Cricketgrrl

BTD Crown Jewel
Fabulous, the two of them! Many congratulations to you!

If I may ask, what setting is the diamond in? I love how low it sits. What a decision to make, re which one to wear! A happy decision. :D