New and need some advice please!

So I have been practicing cutting gemstones for fun and I really enjoy it and so I am wondering a few things. 1 do I have to get a ruby /sapphire certified if I ever plan on selling it or is a certification not necessary in order to make the sale?
#2 one of the places if I can get my raw gemstones from wants to sell me some that are already faceted however I don't know if they're lying through their teeth on how much they sell for over here or if they're actually telling the truth so I will post some pictures I think Sapphire somebody is trying to sell me and I would like to get girls honest opinion on what it would be worth if I were to sell it here in America . Its 3.85ct no heat treatment of any kind or any other color enhancement so he says and he says i can get about 1200/1500$ here in America easily but I have no idea what a sapphire of this size and quality would go for? Please let me know what you think . received_1260671074115883.jpeg

talk-admin

Administrator
Staff member
So I have been practicing cutting gemstones for fun and I really enjoy it and so I am wondering a few things. 1 do I have to get a ruby /sapphire certified if I ever plan on selling it or is a certification not necessary in order to make the sale?
#2 one of the places if I can get my raw gemstones from wants to sell me some that are already faceted however I don't know if they're lying through their teeth on how much they sell for over here or if they're actually telling the truth so I will post some pictures I think Sapphire somebody is trying to sell me and I would like to get girls honest opinion on what it would be worth if I were to sell it here in America . Its 3.85ct no heat treatment of any kind or any other color enhancement so he says and he says i can get about 1200/1500$ here in America easily but I have no idea what a sapphire of this size and quality would go for? Please let me know what you think . View attachment 28121
Hi Maya,
If you plan on selling any gems for $100+ and definitely $500+, I would highly recommend getting them certed. It removes a lot of doubt from any buyers, esp. considering you are new to the business.
Also, the grading labs often provide good feedback for your cutting as they can go into great detail on symmetry, polish, etc. to help ensure your production stays top notch.

Re: pricing for mined sapphire - we only deal in lab gems so I don't follow the market for mined. Best thing to do is just take a look at various sites that do sell mined and see what the equivalent pricing is there and you can see approximately what you could retail it for. You can work backwards from there as far as your costs and see if it's worth it. One thing to note though is that customer acquisition costs are huge for gems/jewelry (the cost of advertising to get new customers) so plan on a big buffer for that unless you are selling on a platform like Etsy or use DiamondBistro.com initially.

Hope that helps!
Less