Moissanite Earrings - so disappointed

MrsMike_C

The Florentine Diamond
Hi Vanillabeanz. I'm sorry to hear about your experience with moissanite. It sounds like you got a pretty old stone, and perhaps the first time you saw the stone was in really bad lighting. Moissanite is much better than that now, and even in poor lighting all you can see is a little tint of yellow. It no longer has the green or cloudy look you're describing.

I understand why you may want to stick with diamonds, but don't forget that first moissanite you saw in the jewelry store. Most moissanite on the market is like that rather than the stones you got in your earrings. And I can't really comment on the earrings you purchased because they didn't come from our company, but we also Moissanite, and it doesn't look like what you describe.
Here are some pics of a pair of our earrings taken in various lighting: outside in sunlight, outside shadow, inside under awful flourescent lighting and inside in a light box (white lighting).

Outdoor sunlight:

Outdoor Shade:

Inside lightbox:

Inside under florescent office lighting:

Do you have to pay a lot to get the "good quality" moissanites? The 1 ct. I saw in the store was priced at $800 a carat. While that is considerably cheaper than a 1 ct diamond, I don't want to break the bank buying a simulated diamond. It would be better to put that $800 towards the real deal even if it can't but a larger stone. At least it's $800 worth of diamond.

Which leads me to ask, does moisannite hold any resale value? I know diamonds drop quite a bit on the secondary market. How does moissanite hold up?

Going back to the earrings, they appear green in almost any lighting and they sure don't sparkle. My diamond out sparkles them in any lighting.

Last edited by a moderator:
MrsMike_C said:
Here are some pics of a pair of our earrings taken in various lighting: outside in sunlight, outside shadow, inside under awful flourescent lighting and inside in a light box (white lighting).

Outdoor sunlight:

Outdoor Shade:

Inside lightbox:

Inside under florescent office lighting:
That's impressive. They certainly don't appear cloudy or coloured. I should try and take pictures of the earrings I have. I could almost cry when I think I've thrown away that much money.

aww that stinks so much! I avoided moissanite for the longest time because of the crap I saw at jcpenney, I really couldn't understand what people were talking about! I just got a moissanite ring of the bistro here and it does have a slight yellow to it, it is beautiful, like an MNO colored diamond. It is very clear and sparkles more than my real diamonds in the sun. I love it now, they same look as a diamond, to me anyways, extra blinding sparkle in the sun, just as hard, and way cheaper. I'm getting an enhanced moissanite ring soon.

MrsMike_C

The Florentine Diamond
Vanillabeanz said:
Do you have to pay a lot to get the "good quality" moissanites? The 1 ct. I saw in the store was priced at $800 a carat. While that is considerably cheaper than a 1 ct diamond, I don't want to break the bank buying a simulated diamond. It would be better to put that $800 towards the real deal even if it can't but a larger stone. At least it's $800 worth of diamond.

Which leads me to ask, does moisannite hold any resale value? I know diamonds drop quite a bit on the secondary market. How does moissanite hold up?

Going back to the earrings, they appear green in almost any lighting and they sure don't sparkle. My diamond out sparkles them in any lighting.
No, you don't have to pay more for the higher qality moissanite. Most stores and websties don't even cary them anymore. The reason your store was charging so much more than a website is because jewelry stores tend to have higher mark-ups.

Moissanite does hold it's value very well. A lot of people know what moissanite is and so it's pretty easy to sell if you need to. Individuals usually have a lot of success on eBay and Craigslist.

MrsMike_C

The Florentine Diamond
I forgot to answer your question about durability. Moissanite is the second hardest gemstone, next to diamond. Nothing else is as hard including sapphires, so it will hold up very well. It's very hard to scratch or break. It takes a very good hit at exactly the right place to break a moissanite. It has been done before, but not often. We hardly ever have customers who break their stones.

MrsMike_C

The Florentine Diamond
That's correct. We send it to a lab that treats is for color. It just takes out a little more of the warmth. The pictures I posted were not of enhanced stones, by the way. Those are regular moissanite.

Very pretty earings. Maybe the issue was where you purchased your moissianite from? I know the ones I've seen in JC Penny never inspired me. They were hideous.
While I liked the idea of a diamond gemstone alternative, I just couldn't wrap my head around why anyone would want such an ugly stone, LOL! Then I came here and found moissaniteco, looked at pictures of other peoples jewelry and am now a believer that it does matter where you source your gems from. I've been converted, lol.

Here's a photo of my earrings. The stone on top is a DNL (I know, I know ... bought before I knew better but it's white so it's a good colour comparison) Ascher cut in white gold.

Below it is the Moissanite round brilliant cut in yellow gold. This photo is in incandescent light with the colour cast removed in Photoshop. Below that photo is a picture of what I thought I was buying.

The moral of the story: do NOT buy Moissanite from MoissaniteDiamond.com (aka Moissaniteisforever.com) unless you like greenish/yellowish stones.

ocMrsB

Omniscient
so sorry for what you went through! how dissapointing

as someone who has owned moissy pretty much since the beggining- i can vouch that it really has come a long way!!

my first moissy looked mint green in overcast weather! mint green!! but in sunlight it was amazing...

over the years it has improved leaps and bounds!

i've never had an enhanced stone, but i have plans in the works to get one soon
dont give up on moissy just yet, the good stuff is out there

Yikes for sure. I think they're selling old stones. Maybe that pair of earrings has been around for years. Then if they're returned, no big deal, they just go out the next time someone different orders that same stone size/color gold. Sooner or later someone won't mind the warmth and will keep them &/or will remove the tags so they can't be returned and MoiDiamond will have gotten rid of them.

I wouldn't necessarily have to get enhanced moissanite. Regular moissanite sold by MoissCo is white with some warmth (but NOT yellow) that adds to it's believability. And especially for ears where people aren't going to be that close - not like they're going to be pulling out GIA color charts to see what color the "diamonds" are. If you wanted big honking sized studs that could be seen across town, enhanced stones would certainly be better, but if going less than 1 carat per ear, I'd stick with regular moissanite. Just for the cost savings. I own studs from Moissaniteco.com and they aren't enhanced and quite real looking, no yellow. I tend to like warmer stones though since I think it adds to believability so don't mind H-J colored stones. If buying a moissanite ring with a larger center, I'd also go for an enhanced stone.

Sorry your studs weren't keepers. But don't hesitate to give Moissanite Co a chance if you decide to try again. Just don't remove any tags until you know for sure you want to keep the item.

I think you should try to return these. Tell them that you did not receive what you ordered. You ordered a pair of white stones and got green. I think you have a case for fraud if they don't allow you to return them! You can file a chargeback with your credit card company if they don't let you return them. Make the case that the stones pictured are white and you expected them to be modern white moissanite, and you received green, old stock moissanite.