martian shakes

nabi

The Black Orlov
i remember a while back some of us were talking about how to get our kids to eat more veggies ... well, my son doesn't really have a big problem eating his veggies but lately he's been a lot more picky - and we all know how healthy leafy greens are, but that is one thing that he just won't eat!

so i'm on this diet and sometimes i make shakes that have baby spinach and my son saw me drinking one and wanted to try it until he saw that it was green ... so i told him that it was a martian shake and i didn't know if we should drink it b/c we might turn into aliens - so he drank the whole thing haha - he loved it.

this is what it had in it:

a handful of frozen (sugar free) strawberries
three packets (yes, i have a huge sweet tooth) of ideal sweetener (i think that's the equivalent of like 6 tsp of sugar!)
baby spinach leaves (filled the blender to the brim)
enough (sugar free) chocolate soy milk to allow it to blend

of course, i have to stop like three times during the course of blending to mash the spinach down and you should definitely blend until you can no longer see pieces of spinach haha it takes a few minutes but i think it's worth it.

just thought i'd share this b/c my son drank an entire glass of this and got a serving of fruit, more than one serving of raw baby spinach, and about a cup of soy milk - and we had fun pretending to morph into aliens after he was finished *^_^*

i know .. i'm weird

i've heard you can put cottage cheese into mixes like this to make it creamier, but i haven't tried that in a while. when i did, i don't think i blended it enough ... maybe i'll try that tomorrow and let you know how it goes (but that's a lot of sodium for a kid ...)

RooGirl

BTD Crown Jewel
That sounds SOOOOO GOOD!!! nabi!!! And I'm with you... I have a big sweet tooth as well...

I'm going to give this one a try for myself!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

sparklee

The Millenium Star
nabi said:
...... and we had fun pretending to morph into aliens after he was finished *^_^*

i know .. i'm weird

Not weird at all, I think that's awesome!!! You're obviously a fun mom, and your son will always remember those things with fond memories.

I would try it with my daughter who hates veggies, but she's 17yrs old and will probably think I'm nuts - well, she does anyway, but that's another story!

nabi

The Black Orlov
no problem, ladies - i hope you like them if you try them! *^_^*

thank you for the sweet comment, sparklee - and i'm sure my daughter will think i'm from another planet when she's 17 just like my mom WAS when i was 17 hehe *^_^*

nabi

The Black Orlov
just had to add ... after reading posts about these i craved one, so i went ahead and made one but this time i added some low fat cottage cheese - it definitely made the texture a lot creamier ... i think i prefer it the way i've been drinking it, though - probably b/c that's the way "i've been drinking it" (and it's fewer calories and less sodium) *^_^*

erised

Connoisseur
sounds yummy! maybe some plain lowfat yogurt instead of the cottage cheese? or if feeling indulgent, a scoop of greek yogurt?

MrsW

The Millenium Star
How cute Nabi, what a smart fun Mommy you are!

I do have to admit I misread your title and thought it said Martini Shakes!
I thought holy heck she made a martini so good it gave her the shakes, I am copying down this recipe!

nabi

The Black Orlov
good thoughts, erised *^_^*

mrsw ... i have to admit that i saw my subject line and read it as "martini shakes" also and thought someone posted a new concoction lol ... and it was MY thread
i guess we both want a martini *^_^*

gia87

Connoisseur
MrsW said:
How cute Nabi, what a smart fun Mommy you are!

I do have to admit I misread your title and thought it said Martini Shakes!
I thought holy heck she made a martini so good it gave her the shakes, I am copying down this recipe!
LOL I thought so too MrsW!
Thanks for the laugh!

MrsW

The Millenium Star
LOL Nabi and Bryan, good to know I wasn't the only one!

Dh and I went to dinner and to celebrate this thread I had my first appletini! I likey!!!

nabi

The Black Orlov
my first year of teaching, i had to have a lot of -tini's to get me through ...
my favorite ever was something the bar tender concocted called a "strewtini" i think ... balsamic vinegar and strawberry ... don't knock it til you try it - it was so yummy

oh wait ... that was after i moved to kansas ... so ... good, then, it wasn't emotional drinking. lol ... if you ever go to manhattan, ks - go to the four olives wine bar and ask for the strewtini - or whatever it's called that is made with the balsamic vinegar - it's so darn good.

... not as good for the kids, though

... i used mixed berries for our martian shakes today and they turned out purple (shoulda known the blackberries and blueberries would change the color, duh!) so my son says, "wow! those will turn us into pluto martians!" ... he's so cute
we had a rather long (to a 4 year old) about why martians are called martians ... but he didn't care ... we became pluto martians, then he decided we would have to go too far to go "home" so he made the executive decision that were once again "martians"

nabi

The Black Orlov
thanks for that link, d247!

(*sigh* and the reminder that I WANT A VITAMIX! santa didn't bring me one last year or this year ... :*( hehe i guess i can save my shekels and get one myself! *^_^*)

diamonds247

The Millenium Star
I saved up for ours and then when the roadshow came to our costco I went and picked one up! Best price I had found. We try to have our martian shakes for breakfast! LOL