Large wedding sets. Wrong to wear in a bad economy?

Gypsy

The Centenary Diamond
Hi everyone! I haven't been posting much, but hello to all! I'm still enjoying my dream wedding set. For those of you who didn't know I finally acquired the diamond pear and five diamond anniversary band I've always wanted! The pear diamond is 2.37 carats and the anniversary band is five round diamonds totaling 1.73 carats.

My concern is this. Are they still okay to wear when you and DH aren't making the money you once did? In a bad economy is it the same as flaunting and they shouldn't be worn out of respect? I was thinking that I shouldn't wear them at all or maybe get something (gasp) smaller.
I really adore my set and don't feel I should have to do this. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, this has never crossed my mind when I see, for example, a celebrity getting a huge engagement ring. They can afford it, so why not? The one thought that does cross my mind is, "I wonder, with all that money they have, whether they contribute anything to charity." I feel better about someone getting something like an ultra-expensive ring if I know that they're not using their fortune entirely on themselves, regardless of the financial state of our country. If that makes sense...

Gypsy

The Centenary Diamond
Thanks so much and it does make sense. I was concerned because I don't want people thinking we have money when we don't. I guess if you own your jewelry free and clear there's no reason not to enjoy them. I, too, used to think that women who were sporting large wedding sets had mega bucks. That's so not true. I figured if I thought that, there must be others who do too. Besides, one doesn't have to go broke to have nice things.

I never thought of that but I can see your thought process.
I wear a very large wedding set and we are far from rich. I just spend all my extra money on jewelry. I often wonder what people think we they see my ring. I am a consultant and my husband a cop. We make good money and our cars and house are below our means. I wonder if people think I owe on my ring or if it is fake. I own my ring. 3.71 center with 4.5 side stones and bands.

Gypsy

The Centenary Diamond
Thanks! I wonder the same thing too. What people must think when they see me wearing my rings on the train or out doing errands. I've seen your set with the marquis, it's gorgeous!

elf925

The Pink Orchid
I say wear what you have and like. Everybody has their own threshold for what they think is just "too much" and for what they will balk at. For some a one carat stone, for others its a five carat stone. You can't please everyone or be "appropriate" in everyone's eyes.

The only things that I think are in "bad taste" is something like what Floyd Meriwether Jr did. Just throwing away ten million betting on the Superbowl! I just couldn't help thinking that was just criminal. You know how many people he could feed or how many homeless people he could have built homes for, for that?! Just ten million, poof! down the toilet and not one thing to show for it! That's bad in any economy!

jcent

BTD Crown Jewel
I would keep wearing it! You own it, and you love it, and it makes you happy to wear it!! I would not keep mine tucked away or down grade because of what others may or may not think. I would use judgement and not wear it in places where my safety is questionable, but that goes for always, not just times of a bad economy.

Gypsy

The Centenary Diamond
Thank you! I'll definitely keep wearing them. I decided I'm not changing them because of what others may or may not think. You're about safety. I'll just be mindful of where I'm wearing them.

This thread made me think of another question. Do you think it is improper to pass a sim off as a real diamond. As I think, you shouldn't volunteer the info, if asked directly u should tell the truth.

I don't go round saying to everyone "Look at my beautiful diamonds!" I have never had anyone ask me if my stones are real, but if anyone was so rude as to ask,I would simply say "Why on earth would you ask me that!"After all I don't ask people if their teeth or hair or boobs are real!

It is no one's business, & whether I was wearing my sims or my diamonds, I would not tell anyone my private information

Could you imagine going up to a man & saying "Is that a toupee on your head?" or to a lady saying "Are your boobs fake?"
If you want people to know then it's fine to tell them,but I would never divulge my secrets!

elf925

The Pink Orchid
tncosby said:
This thread made me think of another question. Do you think it is improper to pass a sim off as a real diamond. As I think, you shouldn't volunteer the info, if asked directly u should tell the truth.
Of course I could be totally off, but given the tone of this thread, I think you were wondering if it was "ok" to have/wear large sims and pass them off as diamonds when times are bad. If somehow telling people they were sims would make it ok to have big honkers even though many are struggling.

People have and wear sims for so many different reasons that I don think there is a one size fits all answer. There is the couple just starting out that can't afford any more than a sterling diamonique ring they had to buy on easy pay. That lady probably treasures that ring just as much as a 5ct diamond! Would she want to tell? Probably not. Then there are ladies who just love jewelry, have many pieces and switch them out often. To me, its common sense that they aren't real. I mean, there is the one off that they inherited their grandmothers collection or something but odds are if the person is working at the same place you are and you can't afford ten once carat plus diamonds, they can't either! Then their are those people that just are very frugal and can't see spending thousands on a diamond when they can get the look and durability and choose to go with moissy. Or those with a moral afflictions to choosing diamonds.

I guess my point is, the reasons for having sims can be deeply personal, and you never really know what motivated someone to get one. To assume someone is wearing a sim for whatever reason you've come up with in your head is wrong. You are probably going to be way off in your assumption. To me, it doesn't matter what a person is wearing, in any economy. I would never be so rude as to ask someone. Honestly I might whisper a comment in my husbands ear, but that's as far as I would ever go.

There is too much bad heartache in the world to be causing more to someone over a pretty sparkliy thing! Wear what makes you happy

Queen of Sparkle said:
I don't go round saying to everyone "Look at my beautiful diamonds!" I have never had anyone ask me if my stones are real, but if anyone was so rude as to ask,I would simply say "Why on earth would you ask me that!"After all I don't ask people if their teeth or hair or boobs are real!

It is no one's business, & whether I was wearing my sims or my diamonds, I would not tell anyone my private information

Could you imagine going up to a man & saying "Is that a toupee on your head?" or to a lady saying "Are your boobs fake?"
If you want people to know then it's fine to tell them,but I would never divulge my secrets!
Fantastic answer QofS!! Love it and will use it if ever I'm in that situation.

Gypsy

The Centenary Diamond
I love those answers too! In answer to your question, it's not wrong to pass off sims as diamonds. The only thing is, if you're in a place where you're all pretty much on equal terms financially, they would probably suspect a sim over two carats isn't real. However, large diamonds can be bought for excellent prices, hence, how I got mine. What you could also do when you're asked if they're real you could say, "Yes, it's a real ring." "Yes, I'm really married."

I agree with your comments. Especially if that is what they can afford at the time. Regardless, I would never lie about my pieces. I wouldn't say a sim was real when it isn't. If I had a sim because that is all we can afford, I would say that. The ring has no bearing on your love and marriage. I can respect some getting what they can afford, instead of going into debit.