Hypothyroidism

So, last year I got EXTREMELY ill. It had been a long road to getting so sick but it started off as just being tired I was in and out of emergency rooms, test after test, doctor after doctor....no rhyme or reason for my symptoms.

Finally, I went and saw an endocrinologist (2 months ago) that said my TSH counts were through the roof! She put me on meds and it's made a HUGE difference. I feel like me again
However, I'm still finding it hard to be as motivated for physical fitness as I used to be. I used to run 10 miles every day, do yoga every day and I weighed about 135, I'm 5'6. I looked and felt great!!!

Anyone here have hypothyroidism like I do? How do you find strength and motivation again. I feel good emotionally and mentally but I'm about 16 lbs. heavier than I usually am and well....I feel like I look like crap. Does that makes sense? I just feel....run down.

Thoughts, suggestions and/or advice would be much appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh, we have the exact opposite problem. I have hyperthyroidism, to the point of grave disease and i can't keep weight on. One month, I'll exercise about 2 hours a day, and eat extremely healthy. The next month, I wont work out at all, and eat everything in the house, which usually consists of chocolate chip cookies, red velvet cake, brownies, etc and I stay the exact same weight. I try to take my medication religiously but truthfully, I have a hard time remembering it, and therefore, I'm always tired.

e.taylor

The Black Orlov
I do-in fact MANY people do. Thyroid conditions are some of the more underdiagnosed issues today. Things have changed a lot in the last 50 years when it comes to thyroid management....and not necessarily for the better! That said, I'm glad to be able to manage it well.

I was hyperthyroid and had to have it removed because I didn't respond well to the medication and didn't want to be on it long term. In one way it was the best thing I ever did...but I can no longer eat a bag of oreos as an afternoon snack and keep a slim figure. DRATS!! lol

Now I am technically hypo thyroid and take medication daily. Even if you have been on the medication and are feeling better it can still take some time before your body fully adjusts to the new you. 2 months isn't very long. Additionally, not everyone is the same as to where they feel best with their TSH, T3 and T4 levels. There is a range and the tendency with some doctors is to say that as long as you are within the normal range then you are fine. Not necessarily so. You have to find what feels best to YOU and have a doctor who understands that but I'd give it a few more months to determine how your current dosage is affecting you.

As for motivation for exercise, you are already feeling better so you just have to do it...it really isn't more complicated than that. Start with small goals or just dive in the deep end, whatever works for you. I'm a baby steps sort of person...I am starting back on the treadmill after recovering from one session of 30 day shred. Funny, it only took one time for me to feel completely shredded, lol. I'll walk on the treadmill this week and then try the shred again, but at my own pace so I don't die on the living room floor.

Give it time...you will get there!!

What's the shred?! Will it shred the excess fat of my arse?! lol

I appreciate your stories and wonderful advice! Thank you! Seems like lot's of us have these issues. It truly helps to hear from others

btrflai said:
What's the shred?! Will it shred the excess fat of my arse?! lol

I appreciate your stories and wonderful advice! Thank you! Seems like lot's of us have these issues. It truly helps to hear from others
I think that was the point...to shred all my excess fat but it just left me in a shredded pile on the floor, lol. Here is a link, I get it on demand cable and I will try it again...just not yet. http://www.amazon.com/Jillian-Michaels-30-Day-Shred/dp/B00127RAJY

Blingaholic

BTD Crown Jewel
MissBrowner said:
I try to take my medication religiously but truthfully, I have a hard time remembering it, and therefore, I'm always tired.
awww, missbrowner. my mom has hypothyroidism. it used to be HYPER. she finds she remembers her medications by leaving her pill box next to something that she ALWAYS needs everyday...like her makeup bag, b/c she wears makeup everyday. so maybe you can leave your pills next to something you use daily...like your toothbrush?

I take my medication when I first get up in the morning with a cup of tea. I keep the bottle right next to the tea bags. With your toothbrush is a great idea too!! It is important to be regular with your medication, especially since it can take a while for your body to fully adjust.

I know how you feel. Two friends of mine had HYPO, it was very upsetting for both of them. However, they were able to control it with medication, and they are both feeling fine and are in good shape. One of them could finally have a baby (she was told before she couldn't even think of a pregnancy until her exams were fine), and the other one is now really fit and in excellent shape thanks to her medicines, healthy diet and a personal trainer. If you saw her before and after pix you wouldn't believe... I hope you get well too!!!!!! HUGS!!!

Thanks, Utah.Rocks! It's nice to hear of those who overcome the battle.

I just got my medication doubled on Monday and, it may be too soon but I feel like it is exhausting me trying to adjust again. LOL That may be all in my mind but I have been dragging this week. I'm religiously 20 minutes early to work every day and today I was 40 minutes late. I literally woke up 30 minutes after I was to be in the office. I live just around the corner from work so I threw on closes and jetted in.

Thankfully, I am the Operations Manager so the only person above me is the broker and he was forgiving as I have never been late before. He's very sensitive to the thyroid issue as well and is always supportive. I appreciate it SO much! Yesterday he actually came up to me and said, "Are you okay? You look like you're about to fall asleep. There's the couch in the conference room if you want to nap. I'd hate for us to keep you." Hahahaha! That gave me a good giggle.

I do feel like I am on the road to recovery just....slowly =)

I actually have a pic of myself when I was running everyday and working out religiously. It's my goal pic!

It's awesome that you have supportive and understanding people around you. I think it helps and adds to your medication's healing power.

We're with you, get well soon!!!!

I also am hypo and let me tell you, it just plain sucks. It kicked in during/after pregnancy and I gained a whopping 78 pounds with my son that does NOT want to come off

I am on meds, but have not been taking them for the past month because I was severely ill with bronchitis and just did not feel like I could stomach anything. I just started back up today and the difference was amazing just in the one dose!

I'm trying to be patient this year and instead of wishing for fast weight loss, I am only thinking about 1 lb per week.

My hope is that as I lose the weight, I get more and more energy!!

I know how bad you feel, and I'm sorry you are dealing with this!! Hopefully, the new doseage will have you feeling better

JoycelovesJems

The Florentine Diamond
I also have hashimoto's hypothyroidism. I am soooo bad about taking my synthroid. I just bought an iphone and now have it programmed to remind me every day. I hope it will help with my mood, my fatigue . . . and of course, my weight!

I'm so sorry ladies!! *Sigh* It's a rough road, ain't it?! Here's to us all feeling better this year!

I also have had hypothryoidism for many years. Mine started when I started birth control pills. I think the hormones in them messed up all my balances and they have never got re-balanced. I too gained a ton of weight and felt exhausted all the time.

I still don't feel well, but maybe that's because I've crossed that 60 year old line.

My doctor tells me I am in the "normal range" so won't even discuss any dosage change. I am thinking of asking if I can see an endocrineologist (spelling?). I just hate to add yet another doctor to my payroll. I feel like I've bought many houses on the Riveria already.

e.taylor

The Black Orlov
Grandma,
Check out the site I posted. They have changed the guidelines for treatment recently and sadly, not all doctors are up on the information. But if you can bring in reference ranges and understand what your numbers mean they'll be more likely to listen rather than brush you off.

Grandma60 said:
I also have had hypothryoidism for many years. Mine started when I started birth control pills. I think the hormones in them messed up all my balances and they have never got re-balanced. I too gained a ton of weight and felt exhausted all the time.

I still don't feel well, but maybe that's because I've crossed that 60 year old line.

My doctor tells me I am in the "normal range" so won't even discuss any dosage change. I am thinking of asking if I can see an endocrineologist (spelling?). I just hate to add yet another doctor to my payroll. I feel like I've bought many houses on the Riveria already.
My endo is the only thing that helped me! I racked up thousands of dollars in medical bills last year trying everything I could to get help and then one day I thought....hmmm...I am going to see an endocrinologist and BOOM she ran every test under the sun and has been extremely thorough with me throughout this journey. As e.taylor mentioned it's so important to go into the appointment with as much information as possible. Thankfully, I didn't have to be aggressive with my doc, she knew every step to take before I even brought it up.

The site that e.taylor posted is AWESOME! I actually emailed it to my endo yesterday and she loves it! Thanks, e.taylor!!

Wow, I just found this thread. I just found out a couple of months ago that I have Grave's Disease --- hyperthyroidism.

My case was pretty extreme, so they had me taking 6 pills for the first month and then 2 pills for the next 2 months and now they want me on 1 pill for the next 3 months.

I will say that being "hyper" and not on pills even though I was on the verge of a stroke and dying of heat seemed better than the rollercoaster of becoming "hypo" on the pills and dealing with the weight gain and fatigue.

I'm strongly against radiation so that iodine pill is out of the question. I also think surgery would be a super duper last ditch effort. But it's on my mind since my mom also had grave's and then got thyroid cancer.

My levels are all testing fine now, but I'm still massively tired and unmotivated. Does this go away ever? It's totally not like me. I'm normally a morning person. I start work at 9am, but am one of those weirdos who wakes up at 5am and I get quite at bit done in the wee hours. But now getting up at 6:30a is tough and then coming home from work and falling asleep like immediately. It's very strange for me.

Anyone else experience this? I also just started Depo shots vs. the pill and the endo says this could also be a factor for fatigue.