How to clean palladium martini pendant chain?

Hi! I bought a BTD martini pendant with a 1 ct Asha some time ago. I haven't been able to wear it in awhile because the necklace chain has turned kind of black. I thought the necklace chain was white gold, but I now see it's Palladium. How to I clean this off? It looks horrible when I put it on.

Hi! I bought a BTD martini pendant with a 1 ct Asha some time ago. I haven't been able to wear it in awhile because the necklace chain has turned kind of black. I thought the necklace chain was white gold, but I now see it's Palladium. How to I clean this off? It looks horrible when I put it on.
Maybe some silver cleaning liquid or cloth. I just tried this method on my silver jewelry with some good results. Lay out a piece of aluminum foil, either put baking soda directly on the chain or put the baking soda on the aluminum foil and lay the chain down, and then pour hot water from the stove on top and let it sit for a couple of minutes to maybe twenty minutes. Not sure if that last method would work or not since its for cleaning silver jewelry without stones. It might work on palladium, but, don't take my word for it. I don't have the privilege of owning palladium jewelry. Just thought I'd mention it since I used the water, aluminum foil and baking soda a few months back after I saw it on youtube. The silver tarnish remover liquid is also great. I coat my silver chains, let it sit for a few, then take a baby toothbrush and scrub all the nooks and crannies and then rinse, wash with dishwashing liquid and rinse again. I wasn't aware that palladium chains tarnished that bad or at all. Have a nice week. :)

Last edited:

talk-admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Julie - something is off here as palladium does not tarnish like you are indicating. Neither palladium nor platinum will turn blackish, etc. they only go a tiny bit more grey (patina) and the effect is pretty minor at that.
If you are seeing black, then there is silver involved doing that...and the steps Dastardly girl outlined should resolve. But please check the necklace metal as there has to be silver involved to turn black as you are describing, not palladium or platinum.
Hope that helps,
Less