Homemade Limoncello?

Not me....but i'm intrigued-what is Limoncello??

It sounds like a yummy desert, but that could just be the "hungry" talking

Last edited by a moderator:

gia87

Connoisseur
Limoncello is an Italian Lemon Liqueur that is made in the South of Italy. It's absolutely delicious! I wanted to make my own this year to give as gifts.

maryl

Connoisseur
I have had it before but never made it. yummy! If you get the recipe, please share. I would love to made some as well during my break.

kimicarol

The Centenary Diamond
I've never had it, but there are several recipes for it on the web.

My experience in home made liquers has been limited to Baileys and I had a friend who made a killer Kahlua. The only thing you had to remember when you drank them is that they had about double the alcohol content of the ones you buy in the store, but man they were yummy!

Best of luck and be sure to share how it turns out.

gia87

Connoisseur
All the recipes I've found have been very similar.

Lemons
Vodka
Water
Simple syrup
A couple also added Vanilla beans.

I'm going to do one batch with vanilla and one without. I read that it gave the Limoncello a "creamier" taste/texture. Cut down on the alcohol harshness as well.

I do have another question though. People don't seem to put in the recipes what kind of Vodka. I'm not about to pour a $50 bottle of Grey into this.

Any suggestions?

Hi Bryan! This is what I have, my sil is italian :), she makes this alot in the summer.

1st recipe
15 lemons
2 bottles(750ml) 100 proof volka
4 cups sugar
5 cup water

2nd recipe
30 lemons
5 vanilla beans
4 cups water
5 cups sugar
2 bottles(750ml)100 proof vodka

Wash and clean lemons, pat dry, zest the lemons, with a zester or veggie peeler. Use only the outer part of the rind.
In a 1 gallon jar, add one bottle of vodka
Add the lemon zest, cover the jar and let sit in room temperature for at least 10 days to 40 days in a cool dark place. The longer it rests the better the taste will be. You do not have to stir the mixture.
In a saucepan, combine water and sugar, cook until thicken. Let the syrup cool before adding it into the mixture. Then add the additional bottle, again let it sit between 10-40 days.

If you do want to add the vanilla beans, slice the bean in the center and scrap out the seeds and add this with your lemon zest at the beginning.

I like serving it over icecream too!
Enjoy!

sparklee

The Millenium Star
GIABryan said:
I do have another question though. People don't seem to put in the recipes what kind of Vodka. I'm not about to pour a $50 bottle of Grey into this.

Any suggestions?

Let me be the first to say that the quality of the Vodka will most certainly affect the finished product. You don't want to scrimp on the booze!!

maryl

Connoisseur
GIABryan said:

Any suggestions?
I really like Ketel One vodka. You can get a huge bottle (1.75L) from Costco for about $35. I think it's comparable to Grey Goose without the big price tag. It's what I use for martinis at home.

Gardenia said:
Hi Bryan! This is what I have, my sil is italian :), she makes this alot in the summer.

1st recipe
15 lemons
2 bottles(750ml) 100 proof volka
4 cups sugar
5 cup water

2nd recipe
30 lemons
5 vanilla beans
4 cups water
5 cups sugar
2 bottles(750ml)100 proof vodka

Wash and clean lemons, pat dry, zest the lemons, with a zester or veggie peeler. Use only the outer part of the rind.
In a 1 gallon jar, add one bottle of vodka
Add the lemon zest, cover the jar and let sit in room temperature for at least 10 days to 40 days in a cool dark place. The longer it rests the better the taste will be. You do not have to stir the mixture.
In a saucepan, combine water and sugar, cook until thicken. Let the syrup cool before adding it into the mixture. Then add the additional bottle, again let it sit between 10-40 days.

If you do want to add the vanilla beans, slice the bean in the center and scrap out the seeds and add this with your lemon zest at the beginning.

I like serving it over icecream too!
Enjoy!
error on my 2nd recipe, typo
4 cups sugar
5 cups water
oops...

gia87

Connoisseur
Thanks Gardenia for the recipe! That's the one I'm going to use!

Maryl - I'm going to get a couple of 1.75L bottles of Ketel One. I'm trusting you!

You're very welcome Bryan!!! It's like drinking a good lemonade..with a kick! lol!
When we made a few last time and gave it to the family. I added dried lemon slices to the outside of the bottle,(the neck of the bottle, if that makes sense, heheh)with a pretty ribbon or raffia.

kimicarol

The Centenary Diamond
Best of luck on your brew - Bryan, be sure to let us know how it turns out.

I am not a vodka drinker (probably because my first and possibly my worst hangover in life came from vodka and orange juice many many many years ago) BUT, I do know a lot of people who do drink vodka. They seem to differ on their choice for premium vodka, but they all seem to agree on their choice of what is best for a slightly less expensive, (but not cheap Vodka), and that is Skyy.

It is what they suggest if you are using it for a mixer, and not drinking it straight.

Just thought I'd add that in case your recipe is so successful, that you start making it by the gallon

ebedner

The Millenium Star
I love Limoncello! I have had it (DH's family is Italian) but have never made it myself. You have to let us know ow yours comes out Bryan!

gia87

Connoisseur
ebedner said:
I love Limoncello! I have had it (DH's family is Italian) but have never made it myself. You have to let us know ow yours comes out Bryan!
Me too but I've never made it myself. I'm going to pick up the lemons today then I'll have everything to make it!

It says to keep it in a cool dark place. I'll have no problem with that here being -19 F. lol