Have you seen the "Real Is Rare - Rare is Diamond" ads?

Been seeing these ads around and it just makes my blood boil... the message of the campaign is essentially that you need to buy your girl a diamond otherwise your love isn't real. I have nothing at all against diamonds, as long as it's the gem you choose and not the one you must get otherwise it's not a "real" ring.

I just hate ads that are basically attacks at their competitors, rather than highlighting the benefits of their own product. To me, it indicates that your product isn't good on its own, and you have to resort to badmouthing the competition to make it look good. It feels like bullying, really. There are so many beautiful gems out there, and they all have their pros and cons. Why not just present the benefits of your gem and let people decide what's best for them?

Dana ♥

The Centenary Diamond
i think it they advertised the actual benefits of diamonds, they'd go back to being as unpopular as they were before 1938.

i watched this commercial - admittedly without listening to it - and it looked more like a commercial for getting a pet chicken?

Found this article about the campaign: How “Real Is Rare” Hopes to Reinvent Diamond Advertising | JCK

I like this quote from the Helzberg Diamonds chairman and CEO:
“The most important thing is that this happened. The industry needs this so badly. I grew up with ‘A Diamond Is Forever’ and all the messages that we all grew up with. But the tailwind that we have all experienced from the ‘Diamond Is Forever’ days is long gone. No one is out there telling this younger generation that they need a diamond."

As a millennial (i.e. the target audience of their campaign), I really think "diamond is forever" is a better campaign. It's true, diamonds will last and last, they can be passed down through generations, their value is backed up by decades of prevalence in jewelry. All those, to me, are good and valid reasons to buy a diamond. But telling me that I need a diamond to prove the realness of my love is ridiculous. Give me the facts, and let me make the decision myself.

Been seeing these ads around and it just makes my blood boil... the message of the campaign is essentially that you need to buy your girl a diamond otherwise your love isn't real. I have nothing at all against diamonds, as long as it's the gem you choose and not the one you must get otherwise it's not a "real" ring.

I just hate ads that are basically attacks at their competitors, rather than highlighting the benefits of their own product. To me, it indicates that your product isn't good on its own, and you have to resort to badmouthing the competition to make it look good. It feels like bullying, really. There are so many beautiful gems out there, and they all have their pros and cons. Why not just present the benefits of your gem and let people decide what's best for them?
The diamond industry is desperate, as are retail jewelers with a brick and mortar. Millennials shop differently than I did when I was younger, and jewelers are having a very hard time transitioning. When I was at JCK in June, there were hundreds of diamond vendors just standing about, hoping someone would come by and purchase their jewelry collection or their stones to sell in their retail stores.

Nothing about that makes me want to go buy a diamond....at all. Show me a glittery cushion cut, a sexy honeymoon with a large solitaire, a date night with canary yellow in a beautiful halo---make me aspire for that! (Am I alone in this?) I do not want to aspire to three diamond bands on a necklace and a chicken farm with a moped. Just no.

diamondangel

BTD Crown Jewel
Nothing about that makes me want to go buy a diamond....at all. Show me a glittery cushion cut, a sexy honeymoon with a large solitaire, a date night with canary yellow in a beautiful halo---make me aspire for that! (Am I alone in this?) I do not want to aspire to three diamond bands on a necklace and a chicken farm with a moped. Just no.
I have to agree with you. As for "real is rare," I can't help but feel that's just the BS that we've had shoved down our throats for decades by a certain fat cat in the industry. Amora Gems are far more rare than diamonds. Perfectly cut ideal cut round diamonds that hit the numbers and are so uniform in appearance that you can pick any one of the stones and it will have exactly the look you want is rare. Diamonds themselves are not rare.