Has anyone else ever made an expensive mistake

I am feeling rather down and sorry for myself, I feel like I have been really stupid

My simple solitaire got damaged a few months ago, so I needed to get my stone reset. I umm-ed and ahh-ed for ages over which setting to go for. I poured over pictures comparing them, looked through my jewellery box to get ideas and asked my husband for his opinion. I was choosing between a delicate bezel set, or a halo. I love solitaires, I think they are so classic, but I do have a soft spot for halo's too. I ended up going for the halo (somewhat egged on my my hubby, he loves bling!) and know it has arrived I know I made the wrong choice.

Don't get me wrong the ring is absolutely beautiful, and very well made, but it is not me! I now realise that I love halo's with a colourful centre (at least on me), and to wear them as RHR.

I am so upset with myself, and just wondered if anyone else had ever done similar?

So sorry for the epic post!

Last edited by a moderator:

jcent

BTD Crown Jewel
I think a lot of people here have had some trial and error finding what is best for them.
Try not to beat yourself up. We see so many lovely things online, it is easy to love them all, when in reality, wearing it and loving it on your hand is a totally different thing. Can you return it? and exchange for the solitaire?

Dana ♥

The Centenary Diamond
while not terribly expensive (or, rather, not my most expensive pieces), i have made some jewelry oopsies...

things that looked SO PRETTY online, and that i just knew i'd like... that once they were special ordered in rose gold, sized up to fit me, and set with my antique cut stones...
once i got them they just...
didn't do anything for me.

i do hope you're able to either return/exchange the ring (if applicable, per the terms from where you bought it), or have a coloured stone set in it so you'll at least enjoy wearing it.

Thanks for the kind words!

I am going to swap out the centre stone for a yellow moissy as I had been craving one anyway. And then I am going to reset my stone in a rose gold solitaire.

The silver lining is I will get two rings out of it instead of one!

CharlieF said:
Thanks for the kind words!

I am going to swap out the centre stone for a yellow moissy as I had been craving one anyway. And then I am going to reset my stone in a rose gold solitaire.

The silver lining is I will get two rings out of it instead of one!
Don't forget to post pics of both rings
I'm sure they will both be fabulous!!

I think your mistake works out for your benefit!
It really is so hard to judge a setting or ring until it is on your finger. A mistake so many of us have made. I love the idea of a yellow center in a halo and can't wait to see pics of both rings.

How about commissioning a semi-custom engagement ring because it would theoretically have saved some money, and it not coming out as the photos or even computer drawings depicted?

Have had it for more than 6 months and regret not just springing for the orignal designer piece. Will probably do that when the Amora Gem comes to the US. It wont be my actual engagement ring though.

So instead of saving money we will be buying the ring we shouldve just bought in the first place. And the semi-custom piece wasnt cheap! Ive thought about bringing it somewhere to be fixed but Im not sure if I want to put more money into it.

It happens. But I agree the silver lining is that we get two rings instead of one

Going through the same thing now!
I have a simple solitaire and now I want something completely different! It took me months to decide and now I'm not satisfied with my choice. And yes there's been a bit of money lost on resizing, etc. So I get it! I think we all do

There are so many incredible settings! You'll find one that you adore!

I bought a ring from shopnbc long time ago. It was my almost first jewelry purchase online. The venetian glass had a bubble inside. They offer me 10% discount to fix it. The ring was around $200. I ended up remaking it for the same $200. And when I was still not liking it and just melt the gold and made something else out of it. My lesson - if it is defective, return it - period...
Oh, and the laughable 10% - when I asked jeweller about fixing it, it was nowhere near 10% they offer me. I did not purchase anything else from nbc.com.