Growing my hair out......

elf925

The Pink Orchid
I chopped all of my hair off in March 2014. Maintained the style till Nov when I decided I wanted to grow my hair out again.

UGH!!!!!

I am at that cotton ball head, poofy, frizzy, awkward, irritating, doesn't look decent no matter what I do stage!

Has anyone else made the transition? How did you get through the in between stage? I'd be happy if my hair looked decent, I've given up hope of it looking good.

Dana ♥

The Centenary Diamond
i've got no advice, the shortest my hair has been since i was old enough to see over the top of the kitchen counter is shoulder length.. i cut 8" off the other night because it needed a trim.

but i wish you the best of luck! that in-between stage is always frustrating. i can relate to it in terms of growing out a bad cut or a bad dye job!

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel your pain! I'm growing out my pixie too but am further along the journey - it's pretty much a bob now. It's important to have a good hairdresser who is supportive of your goals and you should get trims and re-shaping every four months or so. Here are a few of my favourite sites to keep me motivated:

http://www.angryjuliemonday.com/2013/09/17/growing-out-short-hair-2/

http://freckleberryfinds.com/2012/11/how-to-grow-out-a-pixie-cut/

https://hopeandjoe.wordpress.com/2013/04/21/one-year-since-my-pixie-cut/

http://www.maybematilda.com/2012/02/haircut-pictures-and-pixie-cut-growth.html

There are lots of others as well, just google "pixie grow out" or "growing out a pixie gracefully" - you get the picture

There are also some you-tube videos that are pretty good.

I have had really long hair for most of my life, as in between bra strap and waist. And it's very thick and wavy/curly. In May of 2013 I decided I wanted to try a pixie and chopped it all off in one session. I loved it initially. But quickly decided that i wanted to grow it back out. It was hell! I've seen all of those links that you posted and all of those women had lovely straight hair that fell nicely at every stage. Not me! I looked like bozo the clown ( I have dyed red hair) and it never laid in a nice way. Gel and bobby pins were my friends. To top it off, my hair does not grow very quickly. So here I am January of 15, almost 2 years later and I'm just about an inch below my shoulders. But it's starting to look better. So hang in there! This too shall pass, haha.

Lola19 said:
I have had really long hair for most of my life, as in between bra strap and waist. And it's very thick and wavy/curly. In May of 2013 I decided I wanted to try a pixie and chopped it all off in one session. I loved it initially. But quickly decided that i wanted to grow it back out. It was hell! I've seen all of those links that you posted and all of those women had lovely straight hair that fell nicely at every stage. Not me! I looked like bozo the clown ( I have dyed red hair) and it never laid in a nice way. Gel and bobby pins were my friends. To top it off, my hair does not grow very quickly. So here I am January of 15, almost 2 years later and I'm just about an inch below my shoulders. But it's starting to look better. So hang in there! This too shall pass, haha.
((hugs)) well, at least it's growing! I always say to myself "this too shall pass" when I'm dealing with a trying event - it's as true a mantra as any.

elf925 said:
I am at that cotton ball head, poofy, frizzy, awkward, irritating, doesn't look decent no matter what I do stage!

Has anyone else made the transition? How did you get through the in between stage?
The straightening iron was my best friend. It was the only way to get my hair to curve in and lose the frizzy poof.

MissCassie

The Pink Orchid
Well, I grew out from bald and have just reached "Can I call this hip?" length.

I wore a lot of head bands/scarfs/bandanas. Saw a hairstylist regularly through shaping from a pixie to a bob to shoulder. Once I got there, it was smooth sailing.

It will get there.

elf925

The Pink Orchid
2blingornot said:
elf925 said:

Has anyone else made the transition? How did you get through the in between stage?
The straightening iron was my best friend. It was the only way to get my hair to curve in and lose the frizzy poof.
I am way too chicken to use a flat iron! Especially on my hair at its current length!

I am NOT a style person. I had long hair and due to medications, it was so thin and I had some bald spots. 360 days of the year my hair was up in a clip. The other 4 days it was a ponytail and 1 day I actually would blow dry it and wear it in all its glory. So I thought, why not go pixie? I mean my hair was always up anyway, at least if it was cut short I could throw some gel in and look like I had some style. Problem is, I don't even have enough style for that! I guess if someone taught me and/or if I wasn't so cheap and only went to the $9 haircut places maybe I could make the pixie work better. It's silly I know, but I miss having hair options. Even though my hair was always up, if I wanted to put it in a braid, I could. If I wanted to have long pretty curls, I could etc....

Im thinking of halting the grow out process though. It just looks so, so, so crappy! I've tried everything and it just looks like poop! I read those articles that were posted (THANK YOU!!!) and I thought, headbands! Whoo Hoo!! Found the answer. Wrong! Looked like poop!

Husband loves my hair short, he is actually kinda sad that I want to grow it out. Maybe I should go to real salon, give it a better try, get a pomade application and style lesson before I officially give up the pixie cut. Ive only been at it since Nov, I wouldnt be adding too much time if I decide again to grow it out.

elf,
Are you still in the same area? I have a few hairstylists I can recommend for you. I think styling tips and a good haircut will go a looooong way.

elf925

The Pink Orchid
mom2dolls said:
elf,
Are you still in the same area? I have a few hairstylists I can recommend for you. I think styling tips and a good haircut will go a looooong way.
Hi!!! Yep, same area. I actually went and spent *gulp* $30 on a haircut! I love it though. Its amazing what a difference a good cut makes. I am going to keep the pixie for a little while longer. I just don't have the gumption to stick through a grow out right now.