Great Mistake!!

elf925

The Pink Orchid
So I order my sandwhich, get to my car and CRAP they didn't give me the right thing! Worse, they give me chicken salad which I HATE! I was starving so I ate it. Boy was I wrong! This was sooo tastey!! It had onion celery and raisins. Does anyone know how to make it? I could kick myself for keeping this from myself for all these years!

nabi

The Black Orlov
yay! i'm glad you found a new sammich that you like *^_^* i usually experiment with making batches and batches of chicken salad if i taste one i like and can't get the recipe ... where did you order it? they might share it with you!

I don't know exactly, but I've found that using rotisserie chicken is so much better than canned chicken. There's a curried chicken salad with apples and raisins that I just love. I think they have it at Whole Foods.

I've been making a couple of different chicken salads that my family likes.

First thing I do is put a whole chicken in a crock pot and let it cook all day. I don't put anything in the crock pot with it, no water or anything. After it is cooked I bone it and take all the fat off of it.

Then I either put mayo with a little bit of sweet relish in one, or my other receipe I use is some slivered almonds, with mayo and some seedless red grapes and a little celery. It's pretty yummy.

Yes I usually use a fresh organic chicken like Murray's free range, and put the crock pot on low.I put it in the morning before I leave for work about 9.00 am and it is done by the time I get home about 7.00 PM.

nabi

The Black Orlov
thank you! i hate boiling chicken (or any meat for that matter!) lately the smell of skimming off the fat makes me sick

elf925

The Pink Orchid
I've been exploring. They use something other than just the raisins to make it slightly sweet- I'm thinking either honey or agave nectar. I am going to play this weekend. I am going to cheat and buy a grocery store roasted chicken! LOL

I'd def cheat w/store roasted chicken....I do not like mayo
but here's DH'fave:
In a medium bowl whisk:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt/none if the chicken was purchased, plenty there
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice--optional--

Add:
3 cups diced, cooked chicken breast meat/roasted OK
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onion [green OK]
1/2 to 1 cup halved green grapes/ raisins or cranraisins

Stir to coat, refrigerate until serving, sometimes I add 3/4 ts dijon or honey mustard instead of the poultry seasoning for a change, many people use miracle whip instead of mayo.

Last edited by a moderator:

MsT

The Pink Orchid
I use pineapple juice to make it sweet... I also add almonds, grapes, paprika, mayo (Dukes), garlic, salt, onion, and dried cranberries.

I usually buy a rotissery chicken, but I have done the all-day crock put thing as well.

elf925

The Pink Orchid
HE HE HE- I asked for the calorie/fat content and the lady gave me the whole receipe!!! It is- skinless roasted chicken breast, raisins, celery, onion, lemon juice and only a couple of tablespoons of light mayo!!! Overall, very light healthy dish!!

elf925 said:
HE HE HE- I asked for the calorie/fat content and the lady gave me the whole receipe!!! It is- skinless roasted chicken breast, raisins, celery, onion, lemon juice and only a couple of tablespoons of light mayo!!! Overall, very light healthy dish!!
that sounds yummy - can't wait to try it!

Last edited by a moderator: