Gold or Silver Ring?

Hi guys.

Some years ago I had a ring. It had an alexandrite stone, and the metal... I'm not sure if it was gold or silver. All the time I thought it was gold, but now I think it was just old tarnished silver.

The thing is I lost it, and now I want to buy one that looks exactly like it (or nearly).

I have some pictures of it (zoomed ones, poor quality), and I'd really thank you for telling me your opinions.

Greetings. Screenshot_20200112-225453.jpg Screenshot_20200112-225440.jpg Screenshot_20200112-225516.jpg Captura de pantalla (76).jpg Screenshot_20200112-225240.jpg

Dana ♥

The Centenary Diamond
what shape was the stone? in one of the photos it looks round but in the others i either can't tell or it looks more oval.

and you say it was an Alexandrite - it had the colour-change? blue/green to red/purple? they're hard to photo, yours always looks purple (but mine tends to photo kinda blue-green, so it is hard to say!)

what shape was the stone? in one of the photos it looks round but in the others i either can't tell or it looks more oval.

and you say it was an Alexandrite - it had the colour-change? blue/green to red/purple? they're hard to photo, yours always looks purple (but mine tends to photo kinda blue-green, so it is hard to say!)
The alexandrite was oval. I think 12x10 mm.

And yes, its main color was purple. At daylight (most of the pictures were taken at daylight) it looked purple. But at fluorescent light, it looked blue, and at certain times it looked green.

But my main question is, with your experience, looking at this pictures, would you say it's made of gold, or silver?

Thanks

Dana ♥

The Centenary Diamond
did you wear the ring all the time, or did you only wear it every now and then? because.. generally .. silver that is worn constantly doesn't tarnish. or, rather, everyday activities pretty much wear off the tarnish as it happens.

so by you saying "old tarnished silver" i don't know if you mean it wasn't shiny, or if it was actually darker colored due to tarnish.

now... new silver, and new white gold, are normally rhodium plated. which makes for a bright, shiny, chrome-like finish. if you have a piece custom, or semi-custom made you can request that it not be rhodium plated. this means that in silver it can tarnish, and for white gold you'll see the actual color of the metal which is whiter than yellow gold, but not as white as sterling silver or platinum.

this is a very long way of me saying that based on your photos, i don't know what metal your ring was made of. do you know where it originally came from or how old it was?

what you lost was most likely a color change corundum and not alexanderite. the last alex i set was 3 mm round and was about $1200 cost. most of the large stones that change color are synthetic corundum altho there are color change garnets too.

Dana ♥

The Centenary Diamond
there are also lab-grown Alexnadrite, genuine stones that were simply grown in a lab instead of mined from the Earth. so that's part of why i was asking about how old the ring was - if it was older it might have been a genuine Alexandrite but if it was newer it might have been a lab-grown or different type of stone.