Finally met Wink! Scenes from JCK 2014

diamondangel

BTD Crown Jewel
Wink and I just returned from the JCK Las Vegas 2014 trade show. After working for him for over nine and a half years, we finally met for the first time! This picture was from the dinner we had the first night:

(clockwise: Andre from Pricescope, Wink Jones, Lieve Peters from Crafted By Infinity, me, Devon from Pricescope)

Wink and I...

Doesn't he have such a wonderfully warm smile?

Gary Holloway is from Australia. I could listen to that man talk for hours...what an accent! Here we are goofing around in Mandalay Bay before dinner. That gorgeous necklace is not mine, but another colleague's. The jewels do get passed around there for all to see, and that was such a wonderful part of the experience.

Speaking of jewelry, I got to try on this incredible 5+ carat fancy yellow pear cut diamond pendant.

As impressive as that center diamond is, what really thrilled me was the workmanship on the setting itself. The milgrain is so delicate and fine that it was hard to see it until I blew up the picture on my phone. I'm always on the hunt for new benches to use for our clients, and the company that made that necklace does indeed work with jewelers like us.

The trade show itself is so large that you could spend an entire week there, and still not see even half of the goods available there.

Not only were there tons of things to see, but phenomenal education sessions that we got to attend. The best was with Peter Yantzer, who finally helped me make sense of the ASET images and what the colors mean. Here is Wink with Mr. Yantzer...

It was so amazing to have the opportunity to sit down with giants in the industry that are my heroes, but especially Wink. This is us on the last day we walked the trade show. My feet were so swollen, blistered and cracked, and I didn't get more than 3 hours of sleep at night, but I still had a smile on my face!

Now, to the good parts for our clients. I can't load the pictures of it right now because my daughter has my cellphone, but I took some pictures of a gorgeous new solitaire design one of our existing manufactures came out with for cushions, ovals, and emerald cuts. The shank is delicate but not too delicate, it has double prongs, a little scrollwork in the gallery, but it's solid, and allows a band to sit flush with it, even with a larger stone! That is a piece I'll be adding to the lineup.

Now, the big news for all the emerald cut lovers. I stopped by the C&C booth and took a look at their Forever Brilliant stones. They will soon be releasing not only a H&A cut round, but a true emerald cut which I got to see. It's stunning. That will allow us to offer our clients a moissanite choice in an emerald cut. I already have one client who is waiting to be able to order a 10x8, so as soon as it's released, I'll have Wink take pictures and a video.

What an amazing trip it was. I'm so glad I finally got the opportunity to spend time with Wink, as well as my heroes of the industry. Wink is an amazing person, the best boss I've ever had, and a dear friend.

Last edited by a moderator:

mmascall

Connoisseur
You and Wink both have warm smiles and you look to good to have gotten only three hours of sleep! I love that gorgeous pendant
!

Hadley

Connoisseur
Everything, like every. thing. about this post makes me happy. Yay!

I'm stunned you two have never met in person. Nice years is a long time, and too long to not be able to share face time with a friend. I'm happy for you both that you finally got the opportunity.

Lastly... hello, Gorgeous! I will leave it to you and Wink to figure out which of you I'm referring to.

diamondangel

BTD Crown Jewel
By the last day of the trade show, we were so punch drunk. We were hoofing it from one end of the hotel to the other, where the lounge is that we would always meet up with our friends. As we were walking, Wink said he could feel the carpet move under his feet where the worn spots were. We looked at each other, and started singing "I feel the earth move under my feet..." as we're walking the red carpet!
He's got just as twisted a sense of humor as me, which is one of the reasons we get along as well as we do.

A good friend of mine was looking at our pictures on Face Book, and commented that he reminded her of Dustin Hoffman. She's right!

This was so much fun to read.! I just can't imagine how fabulous it would be to have the opportunity to. be surrounded by all that gorgeous bling and people who know so much about gems. Also , your positive comments about the new moissanite emerald cut does give hope to those of us who have been waiting so long for the Amora. Ultra Krupps cuts.
Although I haven't (yet) been an actual customer, i did have a conversation with Wink a couple of years ago regarding a gemstone on his website. He was one of the nicest , most down-to-earth guys . I'm guessing that the two of you work so well together because you're both " good people".
Thanks for your post,DA.
jeanie

DA you are so pretty and yes, Wink does look like Dustin Hoffman!!
Looking forward to the C & C EC

gemcat

Super Moderator
I would LOVE to just be able to walk around, look at all that bling and ask questions of so many knowledgable people. Ah, sigh, such shows are not open to us mere mortals, I guess. DA, you and Wink look like you were having such a great time.

Hi DA - can you tell us how much the setting above would be in 14k yellow gold? Can you post that info here or should I send you a PM?
I love that ring and I have plans in my head already!!

ETA: I have my own emerald step cut stone for this ring (8mm X 5.3mm)

Wink

The Imperial Diamond
Hadley said:

I'm stunned you two have never met in person. Nice years is a long time, and too long to not be able to share face time with a friend. I'm happy for you both that you finally got the opportunity.

Lastly... hello, Gorgeous! I will leave it to you and Wink to figure out which of you I'm referring to.
No question in my mind! I may have a better tan than Melissa already, but gorgeous, not even close to her!

Wink

P.S. I think she is pretty darn special all the way through. With Melissa, what you see is pretty much what you get. Great mom, great wife and really great assistant!

Wink

The Imperial Diamond
Thank you all for your kind words. It was an amazing show.

One of the fun things for me was when we spent the whole first day in the AGTA part of the show. (Colored gems)

I would walk past a both of stuff that was passe' to me since I had seen the same things for thirty years and she would stop dead in her tracks and drool like a kid looking in the window of a candy store.

By the end of the day I was seeing things with fresh eyes and it was oodles more fun!

Wink

diamondangel

BTD Crown Jewel
Hey, I worked on that tan for MONTHS before going to JCK! That's the tannest I've ever been in my life, lol. It was only 55 degrees outside, and I was laying out on our deck, burning. I'm normally Snow White white.

Wink, you honor me. Sincerely.

Wink said:
Hadley said:

No question in my mind! I may have a better tan than Melissa already, but gorgeous, not even close to her!

Wink

P.S. I think she is pretty darn special all the way through. With Melissa, what you see is pretty much what you get. Great mom, great wife and really great assistant!