Fake or real. Stamped 14k but priced at a too good to be true price any help would be greatly appreciated ❤

I’m looking at possible purchasing a ring online so I have no way to test it before buying it. It shows the 14k stamp and it is supposedly 2.15ct. It’s priced incredible low. Too good to be true is what I’m thinking, but I wanted to get some opinions. Maybe the 14 stamp is fake or something. Personally I’ve never seen a fake stamp but I’m sure it’s possible. Any help would be so greatly appreciated. Don’t want to get duped. D6E2DF3E-AFFD-4B1F-8FAD-4A4EE5698C3B.jpeg 4B7B720C-6DC4-4666-99EA-2E4DD680449F.jpeg

talk-admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi - if the seller is in the US then it's unlikely that it's not actually 14K. The reason is due to the national gold and silver marking act which has both criminal and civil penalties for falsifying quality marks. You can have it tested to be sure though.

However, the likely reason for the cheaper price is this is a hollowed out ring - not a solid piece like one would expect.

Please see the attached image with the hollow groove highlighted by the blue box .
This means the ring can have about half the amount of gold that would be used for a normal, solid ring.
So it will look the same top down but feel like costume jewelry in the hand due to the much lower weight.
This also means the ring is going to be less durable over time, since it is hollowed out.

Anyway, that's likely the reason for the lower than normal price - high quality rings are not hollowed out like this. Sellers do it for more costume jewelry type of pieces to lower the cost/save money. And the difference is immediate once in your hand as it will feel like plastic (due to being so light) relative to a high quality solid metal ring.

Hope that helps!
Less

Attachments

When I say lower price I mean low lol. $40. I don’t see why anyone would be selling a diamond gold ring for $40. That’s why I’m so weary. If I had it I would definitely test it. But it’s being sold on Poshmark

talk-admin

Administrator
Staff member
When I say lower price I mean low lol. $40. I don’t see why anyone would be selling a diamond gold ring for $40. That’s why I’m so weary. If I had it I would definitely test it. But it’s being sold on Poshmark
Yes, $40 would raise alarms...you could likely melt the ring down and get higher just for the metal, though you also have to remove all the stones before they will accept it, which would cost money to do.
That said, look at the center 'diamond' in the photo...it looks like a black hole with no light return. So it may not even be gem grade and certainly isn't cut well, and they just want to get rid of it.
Best regards,
Less

That is another one he is selling. I’m not sure if maybe he makes them or what. What do you think about this one? I’ve asked people who have purchased from him and although I haven’t found anyone who has gotten it tested or appraised. They have down the magnet test and says it feels heavy in their hand and seems to be real. So idk