Extremely disappointed in my Asha and poor BTD customer service

I purchased a 1 carat round asha for my engagement ring. After 5 months of reasonable wear (I take it off when at home, cleaning, etc), the stone is worn and matte around the table. I attempted to contact BTD for an exchange, refund or to put the value toward a more expensive Amora Gem. The response I received from Dana did not ask clarifying questions, stated that there are many reasons this wear and tear was clearly my fault and offered to sell me another Asha for a discounted price. If the asha wore so poorly it makes no sense to purchase another one, which I explained. I also offered to send it in for them to see and attached photos. I never received a response. I intentionally purchased my stone through BTD because they were the creator of the product. I assumed that they would stand behind their warranty and their product. I am incredibly disappointed that they refused to have a discussion about my issue and we're not interested to learn more about it to perhaps improve the asha in the future. Right now I feel like I wasted $189 on a cz. Please beware that if you plan on wearing your jewelry daily, it will not last. I will be filing a claim with my cc and the BBB.

elf925

The Pink Orchid
Unfortunately, there is no warranty offered on Asha stones. At the same time though, there is no warranty on diamonds or any other stones. Some retailers sell insurance and offer to replace under those policies.

Im sorry you are unhappy.

You did buy a CZ though. I dont buy CZs because I know that even though I dont do much and dont wear my rings in the shower or to do dishes (anymore, I used to never take them off) I just seem to be rough on my jewelry. Asha's are optically superior to other CZ's, thats why you buy them. You dont buy them because they are more durable than other CZs. I dont believe that BTD makes a claim that they are more durable either. If you were to wear a different brand of CZ, the same thing would probably happen.

I would put a moissanite stone in as a replacement. It should last far longer as its more durable than CZ. I dont have issues with moissanite and as mentioned, Im very rough on jewelry.

Just to sure, have you tried cleaning it? Maybe its a film or dirt, not abrasions.

Yes I have cleaned it several times in addition to taking it to a jeweler. Reading the posts on here, one would assume that the cz is premium and wears better due to the coating. If not, then they are selling cz's for $189 and presenting them in such a way that i, as well as many others, are stupid enough to buy them. They are sold in ering sets. They should be durable enough to last beyond 5 Mos. I am not hard on my jewelry at all. The fact that customer service discussions stopped, despite my being very polite, is very disheartening. I'm in the middle of filing with the BBB right now. I've never felt strongly enough to do that with another company.

mmascall

Connoisseur
Disappointed15 said:
I purchased a 1 carat round asha for my engagement ring. After 5 months of reasonable wear (I take it off when at home, cleaning, etc), the stone is worn and matte around the table. I attempted to contact BTD for an exchange, refund or to put the value toward a more expensive Amora Gem. The response I received from Dana did not ask clarifying questions, stated that there are many reasons this wear and tear was clearly my fault and offered to sell me another Asha for a discounted price. If the asha wore so poorly it makes no sense to purchase another one, which I explained. I also offered to send it in for them to see and attached photos. I never received a response. I intentionally purchased my stone through BTD because they were the creator of the product. I assumed that they would stand behind their warranty and their product. I am incredibly disappointed that they refused to have a discussion about my issue and we're not interested to learn more about it to perhaps improve the asha in the future. Right now I feel like I wasted $189 on a cz. Please beware that if you plan on wearing your jewelry daily, it will not last. I will be filing a claim with my cc and the BBB.
There is no warranty on Ashas that I'm aware of and you've had the ring for five months. What, exactly, did you expect?

ETA - As Elf pointed out, had you purchased a diamond and damaged it five months later, you would not be getting a refund from any jeweller. This is CZ and, as such, life expectancy is low - how low depends on how you treat the stone. Perhaps you weren't as gentle as you are now claiming you were.

Last edited by a moderator:
mmascall said:
Disappointed15 said:
There is no warranty on Ashas that I'm aware of and you've had the ring for five months. What, exactly, did you expect?

ETA - As Elf pointed out, had you purchased a diamond and damaged it five months later, you would not be getting a refund from any jeweller. This is CZ and, as such, life expectancy is low - how low depends on how you treat the stone. Perhaps you weren't as gentle as you are now claiming you were.
So you believe this is a plain cz? I don't think you are helping btd out by stating this. Its advertised as diamond coated to increase durability. They are marketed as engagement rings. Its interesting to hear that you also agree that they aren't durable enough to wear on a daily basis and that the life expectancy is low as its "just a cz". Thank you for reinforcing what I wrote. I have no reason to misrepresent myself, I wonder what your motive is?

Here's the thing, I have the right to share information with people who want to make informed decisions on big purchases. To say I'm misrepresenting myself is just silly and makes you look like the one with an ulterior motive. I spent a long time scouring these boards before purchasing an asha to try to learn more about what I was purchasing. The lack of negative reviews reinforces that these posts are deleted. Of course I knew an asha wasn't a forever stone but I also saw many many people touting several years with an ering. That would have been worth the money, not 5 months.
You are missing my main complaint, which is the poor customer service. After one short, blaming email, I am unable to get a response. That is poor customer service no matter how you spin it. There are too many businesses which are well run to provide such poor follow through. As a local business close to me, I'm pretty disappointed.
I'm not here to argue or defend myself, and I anticipate this will be taken down shortly, so the info is here for those who wish to take it into consideration.

mmascall

Connoisseur
Disappointed15 said:
mmascall said:
Disappointed15 said:

So you believe this is a plain cz? I don't think you are helping btd out by stating this. Its advertised as diamond coated to increase durability. They are marketed as engagement rings. Its interesting to hear that you also agree that they aren't durable enough to wear on a daily basis and that the life expectancy is low as its "just a cz". Thank you for reinforcing what I wrote. I have no reason to misrepresent myself, I wonder what your motive is?

YOUR
motives are quite clear, to get whatever compensation you can for a ring that was purchased five months ago with a stone that has no warranty and is now damaged. You say you were careful and gentle but how can that be verified? Oh yeah, I forgot, BTD is supposed to trust you because you say so.

My motive is to let you know that there is no warranty on this stone. CZ (yes, even coated CZ) is not a forever stone and longevity can vary among users depending on how "hard" they are on their jewellery.

ETA - Judging by the responses to your post on Weddingbee, it looks like most posters agree with me.

elf925

The Pink Orchid
OP- I think you are missing the overall point. There is no issue here. There wasn't a reason for you to contact BTD in the first place. Sadly, your stone is damaged and I suspect its because you weren't as careful with is as you thought you were. There are quite a few companies out there that use CZ in engagement rings/wedding sets. That doesnt mean they are durable or have implied warranties. I would destroy a diamonique stone in about an hour! Yes, people have posted that they have had Asha stones for years and they still look new. That doesn't mean that you will have the same experience. BTD makes no claims regarding warranty or durability. Im sorry if you inferred that Asha as a rule lasts longer than other CZ but that just isn't the case.

talk-admin

Administrator
Staff member
Disappointed15 said:
Hi Disappointed15,
Thanks for your feedback and sorry to hear the Asha did not hold up for you.

I can't comment on the customer service aspect yet as I'll have to review that in our CS system later today.

I do want to quickly make a couple points though:
1 -
I assumed that they would stand behind their warranty and their product.
Your statement here is not correct - the Asha is not sold with a warranty (and neither are our Takara lab diamonds, etc).

The Asha is 'scratch resistant' but certainly not 'scratch proof'. Time is not the factor in whether it will show wear or not. Rather, whether it gets hit hard enough to scratch it is the factor.
Thus, some people can go 10+ years and it still looks perfect, others who are hard on their jewelry may not get a year.
We don't control how hard the Asha is hit or not hit during wear after we sell it and thus we can't (and don't) make any claims as to how long it will or will not last.

I'm sure if you wore this Asha in a pendant, you would be able to go likely a lifetime without an issue as a counter-example b/c it's not a 'defective stone' or 'mechanical breakdown' but rather it has a fixed threshold for scratch resistance and if that is exceeded, it will scratch.

Another customer just posted this Asha review this weekend for reference:
"I have been holding out on a review in order to really test the stone. (Keep in mind I do work hands on everyday)
THIS RING IS AWESOME! I work 5-6 days a week mostly with my hands and haven't seen a single scratch or dulling in the stone."
So very different experience and the main differentiator is simply how hard/often the Asha was hit during wear.

I'm sure you did not intentionally wear it hard, etc. so nothing is implied in that respect.

Rather some people, such as my wife, are just hard on jewelry - my wife can't wear sapphire without scratching it up in months for example.

Similarly, my brother's wife came home one day with a giant chip out of her 2ct diamond. She didn't recall hitting it hard, etc. and they lost $10K all said and done from that.

So no gem is 'impervious' to wear, there are simply fixed degrees of scratch resistance and chip resistance, with varying parameter depending on the material.

2 - We've already maxed out everything we can in terms of the Asha and are not actively R&D'ing it anymore. Rather our focus is on the Amora Gem and to a lesser degree our Takara lab diamonds.
That's why we would not have wanted to 'see your Asha', etc. We've already got tons of data on it and the wear issue does in fact boil down to if it gets hard enough, frequently enough, it will definitely build up small micro-scratches that will impede the stone's beauty.
We don't have any additional ways to increase the durability over what it is now - the best answer for better durability is simply the Amora Gem, which we did massive amounts of R&D for and is inherently a much harder and tougher crystal.

4 -
The lack of negative reviews reinforces that these posts are deleted. Of course I knew an asha wasn't a forever stone but I also saw many many people touting several years with an ering. That would have been worth the money, not 5 months.
We don't delete posts except in very extreme examples, and as you can see I am simply replying to your post, and the mods have not deleted as you are claiming. There are other negative Asha reviews, almost all of which boil down to Asha's that didn't hold up to their wear as long as they wanted. Another customer was unhappy because they saw wear after two years. But again, the Asha has a fixed level of hardness/toughness and whether that gets exceeded during daily wear is not something we can control.

5 -
Reading the posts on here, one would assume that the cz is premium and wears better due to the coating. If not, then they are selling cz's for $189 and presenting them in such a way that i, as well as many others, are stupid enough to buy them. They are sold in ering sets. They should be durable enough to last beyond 5 Mos.
The amorphous diamond coating does improve the wear resistance, but it certainly does not make it impervious to wear.
The main issue here is you are treating this is a 'mechanical breakdown' model ala I bought a toaster and it shorted out in 5 months. That's not what happened here.

The better analogy is buying a new car - if the car hits something hard even 5 seconds after leaving the lot, it will be damaged. If it does not get hit, there will be no damage.

If a customer buys a new car and damages it against a parking barrier, should they claim "I only had my car 5 days and it's already showing damage - the dealer should give me a new car b/c clearly a new car should last longer than 5 days without showing wear, or I'll file a BBB complaint, chargeback on my credit card, etc."

You also seem to have ignored that we did apparently offer you a replacement at a discount, so it's not as if we didn't at least make some offer to assist.

That said, if you already are seeing damage on the Asha in five months (which is uncommon), then I agree with you - a replacement will not make sense, you'll just buy yourself another five months and be back to the same place.

But mostly I wanted to post to point out that we don't provide a warranty as you are claiming in your post, and how long/little an Asha lasts is simply a function of the daily wear it encounters.

That said, certainly we don't want customers to have an unhappy experience but I'm not clear there's a whole lot we can do here - based on your wear situation, replacing it would just buy you another five months, and while the Amora Gem is substantially more durable, it is significantly more expensive.

I'll look into your Customer service interactions later today and follow up with you directly then.

Best regards,
Less

Last edited:
re. durability of cz: I bought Interlap cz from Wink at freecz.com, back in 2006-2007 or 2008. They are uncoated but nicely cut and very clear. Some have arrows, not sure about the hearts. I wore a 1ct colorless cz in my daily work ring when I worked in QC for a cast iron foundry. I beat that cz to death. It got exposed to sand, metal cutting oils, solvents, metal polishing compounds, detergents, and whatever else, plus it got physically knocked around a lot. There is obvious abrasive wear at all the junctions of facets. I can see it with unaided eyes. But overall, I think it held up remarkably well. It amazes me that ring is even still nice enough to wear, because I really gave it a beating, working in heavy industry.

I was never sold on the idea of coated cz. They seemed too delicate to me, so I opted out. A regular cz can, to some extent, be repolished with a metal polish. I use Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish on my work ring. It helped keep the cz from going hazy, in my opinion.

Also, I bought one Asha which I could compare side by side with one of Wink's fine uncoated czs. When both stones were perfectly clean, the Asha did have a bit of an edge, performance-wise. But I though in irl, the stones will have dirt and soap residues, etc. I sold the Asha.

You could replace your e-ring Asha with any of the following, and I think you'd be happy:
-- a moissanite, since the new rough is whiter and 1ct won't show a lot of tint even if the stone is slightly warm
-- an uncoated cz from Wink / freecz.com
-- the Amora Gem

'Way back, like 2004 or earlier, I believe that there was some kind of warranty on the Asha stones. But BTD hasn't offered one for a long time.

talk-admin

Administrator
Staff member
lessw said:
I'll look into your Customer service interactions later today and follow up with you directly then.
Best regards,
Less
I've been trying to locate your interactions, but we have way too many emails in our system and I don't know how long ago your interactions with CS took place. Thus, I'm not able to find which one is yours - can you please email me directly at lessw............betterthandiamond.com?

replace the ........ with @

Best regards,
Less

Last edited:

talk-admin

Administrator
Staff member
lessw said:
lessw said:
Best regards,
Less
I've been trying to locate your interactions, but we have way too many emails in our system and I don't know how long ago your interactions with CS took place. Thus, I'm not able to find which one is yours - can you please email me directly at lessw............betterthandiamond.com?
replace the ........ with @

Best regards,
Less
Never mind just found it.

There's really only one main interaction and I certainly don't see anything untoward.

In addition, as was pointed out, we didn't set this stone. If it was set super high, something we would never recommend, then that is going to create a lot more harsh wear conditions than if it is set low and will affect the total lifetime for the stone.

Best regards,
Less

Last edited:
I'm a little late to the party, but just wanted to say how sorry I am about your disappointment with Asha. I've had my Asha Princess, Emerald, Radiant, Flanders, Cushion, Pear and Assher stones since 2004. While I don't wear them everyday, I do wear them, and they are still shiny and beautiful. I've accidentally banged them as we all do with our rings when wearing them, and yet they are still sparkly and I still stare at them lovingly. I'm sorry about your stone. I wish you had a better experience with them as others and I have had with ours. Don't think I'll every be able to afford an Amora or any new rings with the constant price hike rates, but, I can dream, and I'm happy I have my Asha rings. I'm still kicking myself for not getting a H&A Asha round when I was financially able to.