Exercise does a body good too!!!

I see so many posts about this diet and that diet, but many seem to forget that exercise is a big part of leading a healthy lifestyle and weight loss. The formula for weight loss is actually very simple; eating a healthy diet, which includes lean protein, lots of veggies (green/leafy is best), minimal whole grains and low sugar fruit (berries) plus EXERCISE! We all should be doing at least 30 min of cardio 4-5 times per week and at least 2-3 days of strength training. Fitness level does not matter - everyone can do some form of cardio and strength training, even if modifications are needed. Everyone has to start somewhere. We also need to be conscious about calories in vs. calories out.

The hard part for many of us is consistency, which is key. That is the reason why we are all searching for short cuts through fad diets and avoiding the dreaded "E" word. I speak from experience as I too was a fad dieter that didn't exercise at one point in my life and I am now in the fitness industry and have seen many others succeed such as I have by leading a healthy lifestyle that not only includes making healthy food choices, but also "regular" exercise. It has to be a lifestyle change, otherwise you will just find yourself yo-yo dieting and constant weight fluctuations, which is actually really bad for your overall health.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aurora

Connoisseur
Exercise is key for me, amen!!
Interestingly enough, if I'm getting 4-5 days of cardio in and 2 days of weights, my appetite pretty much so regulates itself. If I try and "diet" without, I generally binge, feel like crap and gain weight.

I have found this to be very true for me. I have been walking regularly in the morning with my puppy. We walk 1.25 miles each trip. Some days we go again at night with the whole family.

I was trying to low carb lifestyle, and it did not agree with my system. So, I started moving instead and watching what I am eating. I have lost 5 lbs in the last week and a half. 10 lbs total in the last month.

Blingaholic

BTD Crown Jewel
I love exercise. Now more than ever since I'm a mom. It keeps me sane and helped me bounce back from the baby. Everybody said breastfeeding would melt off the pounds. I believed them for the first 8 months and didn't do anything except that. Well...since I've been exercising 3-4 times a week, I'm back into my pre-pregnancy clothes and I feel so much better about myself. I try to limit my carbs just bc I don't want to end up insulin resistant again but exercise is key. And lifting a 25lb toddler has made me incredibly strong!

I love hearing these success stories! It is proof that what I suggested really works. If only more people would follow......

Well, Missy, you can lead a horse to water...

I was pondering this just today as I finished up on the elliptical. WHY on earth did I let myself gain all the weight back i fought so hard to lose? The answer for me is I fell back into the sugar sloth trap and it will take a good long while to crawl back out. But just a few weeks of exercise has my body feeling competent again. I've lost on low cal, low fat (sounds like a bad guy on Hawaii-50), but my body's fav is low, controlled carb. The key to regulating my appetite and being successful however always comes down to exercising near daily no matter which eating plan.

I agree with the fact that exercise does a body good - my problem is just getting back into exercising. I used to work out every day for an hour and felt amazing, then I got a 'normal' 8a-5p job. Now I can never find a good time to exercise in the evening after work, and just can't seem to force myself out of bed at 4AM to go the gym for an hour.

Anyone have any tips? I've gotten to a weight that I'm incredibly unhappy with and I'm an emotional eater, so it's an EVIL cycle.

KTR said:
I agree with the fact that exercise does a body good - my problem is just getting back into exercising. I used to work out every day for an hour and felt amazing, then I got a 'normal' 8a-5p job. Now I can never find a good time to exercise in the evening after work, and just can't seem to force myself out of bed at 4AM to go the gym for an hour.

Anyone have any tips? I've gotten to a weight that I'm incredibly unhappy with and I'm an emotional eater, so it's an EVIL cycle.
KTR, you're sooo describing me!!!

KTR said:

Exercise doesn't have to be at the gym. Do what you can from home...walk or jog, find an exercise on demand workout (if you have cable), pick up a couple DVD's....do SOMETHING, even if it isn't at a gym. Go walking on your lunch break...get some co-workers to go with you. You may eventually get to the point that you make it to the gym but don't use the inability to do so as an excuse to do nothing.

Don't leave yourself excuses like "I don't have an hour." If you have 20 minutes do 20 minutes.

This sounds completely backwards but I have sometimes used food as a motivator. If I exercise at least 30 minutes I can have ice cream tonight. The trick is that the more I exercise and the better I feel the LESS I actually want the ice cream. I can't believe I still fall for that, lol.

KTR said:

I have a little stepping machine that I step on for a couple of minutes per hour and for about 30 minutes during conference calls. I don't know where it came from but I found it in the office and starting using it. It has adjustable resistance and is just enough cardio for me. It's fun actually. Almost everyone who comes by my desk for something hops on for a few steps LOL.

I don't do arm workouts...but I think pick up a two year old and one year old all the time is enough for me...I've never had such toned arms until after I had kids LOL!

That's about it for me. I just eat healthy and play sports with my husband, father, sister, and kids on weekends.

The stepper is a cool way to get moving during the day if you have an office job. I started using it because I was having , um, health issues from sitting for long periods of time all day. I'm not in weight loss mode (I'm 5'6" 110 lbs) so this isn't enough cardio for someone who is trying to lose weight...but at least it's something if you want to get moving.

I agree. I turned my back on all diets April 1st and went back to exercise. I lost 40 lbs in 4 months. I have kept it off. I stopped going because school starting with kids and such. I do one hour on an elliptical and free weights for my arms. Three times a week or more for the elliptical and lifting weights for 20 minutes every other day. I used to go at night but now my youngest is in preschool I can go during the day. My goal is just doing it. I get fustrated easily if I set weight loss goals especially since I have period issues that delay my progress. Any progress is better than nothing. I also "diet" but its practical diet. Not a lot of processed stuff or snacks. Snacks to me is apples and bananas. I do eat what I want but real food, usually all made from the earth and scratch. I still love soda but limit it to diet. I love Mio water flavorings.

Hey speaking of "fad diets" want to hear a funny one that my model friends used to do?

When you get hungry take one bite of food and then drink a whole glass of ice cold water really fast.

LOL! I always thought it was hilarious...but in a sad way too.

Here's what my Hawaiian tropics wannabe model friend does. She chews her food and spits it out. She says its the best thing ever! Hello isnt that anerexic? She tells everyone and is so proud and I'm sitting here horrified.

KTR my advice to you, not knowing if you have kids or not, eat a huge lunch. Eat a smallish dinner if you can right at 530 and the gym at 730. Not sure what time you go to bed. I love exercising at night. It does not make me energized after at all, I'm beat, and go right to sleep after. I'm dreading exercising at 1230 when my daughter goes to preschool but its my only option right now.

I've also thrown out all those ideas and theories of when and what you should eat, I find a protein filled breakfast and lunch that is large works for me and a small light dinner. I add turkey bacon to my salad, it's only 25 calories a strip and sometimes an egg, it's different so I won't get so bored with it. Same with turkey slices.

Blingaholic

BTD Crown Jewel
http://fit2b.us/ts-totally-transverse/

If anyone is interested in getting a smaller waistline, try this workout everyday for 2 weeks. It's free. No crunches or sit ups involved. Just breathing and the whole workout is about 10 mins long. I did this daily for 2 weeks and lost an inch. I loved it so much I joined the site for other workouts. The workouts are online so you can do them wherever you get wifi. I can do them on my iPad with headphones on while my son naps.

I've been a member since August and fit into all my pre-pregnancy jeans. My belly is flatter, too, and my back never hurts anymore.

Blingaholic

BTD Crown Jewel
And be sure to check out the rest of the site, too. So informative about our cores!

(no, I don't know the site owner. I just love what she's doing and want every woman I know to have a smaller waistline and a stronger core :D)

Thank you Bling! I will be checking this one out. My biggest trouble spot is my tummy, even when I weighed 98lbs. I had a little pooch.

Regarding the chewing food and spitting out thing... Ryan Seacrest talks on his radio show about how he does this with cookies. He never swallows them, just chews and spits them out. Yuck!!

Bronwyn said:
Here's what my Hawaiian tropics wannabe model friend does. She chews her food and spits it out. She says its the best thing ever! Hello isnt that anerexic? She tells everyone and is so proud and I'm sitting here horrified.
Yikes! Actually that's kind of more like bulimia...without the swallowing and purging part. Sad

KTR said:

I'm an emotional eater too, so I know what a tight trap that can be. I would never join a gym, so I spent the membership money on a recumbent bike and an elliptical trainer. I can work out when it suits watching TV and be a good example to my son who needs to get moving too. Hope it helps and that you get to feeling better soon.

I also am in the working-out-in-the-later-part-of-the-day boat. I already have to wake up at 4 am to get ready to go to the hospital and set up the OR, so waking up an hour earlier is definitely not an option. Currently, I get home around 5 after clinicals and classes, so I work out at 6, eat a small but nutrient-packed dinner at 7, shower at 7:30, and go to sleep at 9 after some homework/studying (and if my workload is small, some sparkly-browsing on the forum).

I find it's easiest to stay on track if I have a routine and a schedule. If I look at the time and it's close to 6, I know I have an appointment with Jillian Michaels and my exercise bike soon.

Side note: I read that one study says it takes 66 days for a behavior to become automatic or a habit. Stick to a schedule that works well for you, and after a couple months, you'll just start dressing up for a workout without even thinking about it.