Does moissanite chip easily?

I've read a lot about moissanite and there are some confusing things out there. Almost every site that sells moissanite claim it's not only hard, but also tough and resist chipping. Yet many other sources say it's brittle and chips easily. That's like saying this thing is purely white but also black. I'm all confused. I don't do tough works with my rings on, but I do like stones that are not fragile. What if it's dropped onto the floor, or hit on the wall or furniture? I suppose replacing a chipped moissanite wouldn't cost a fortune.
Still it's trouble.

Anyone have some first-hand experiences and know if it's tough or brittle?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a moissy eternity band and without knowing how managed to shatter one of the stones that was underneath my finger. Bella replaced it for me, but my experience is they were quite brittle.

I tend to whack mine (accidentally! I'm a total klutz) all the time into stuff. I haven't had any issues yet.

I'm sure that it varies per stone. Depending on where the tube holes are located from manufacturing, I suppose if you hit it just right where there's a weak point, it can fracture.

I have a few moissanite rings and have never chipped one but yet I somehow managed to chip a pair of moissanite earrings....go figure
I tend to do more with my hands than with me ears
I forgot to say Welcome sapphirepod

CaraMish

The Imperial Diamond
Okay, here's my extremely inexpert (and possibly wrong) explanation...Moissanite is very hard; 9.25 on the Mohs Hardness Scale. "Hard" means it resists things like many of the scratches and abrasions that damage softer stones . However, a very hard substance is also brittle by nature. Forged steel can shatter if struck hard enough and at the right angle. So can moissanite...strike it at the right speed at the right angle, and it can chip.

Hope this helps...

Hopefully one of the jewelers will pitch in and give us a better explanation...

And yes, welcome to BTD sapphirepod!

Gypsy

The Centenary Diamond
I did hear that almost any gemstone can chip or break including
diamonds. I hope moissies are somewhat strong as I plan to put one in my halo ring
Really though, I could have easily used a CZ BUT I prefer the heat resistance and durablity of a moissie. From what I've heard, they are easier for jewelers to work with. I could be wrong, but that's what I've heard.

moissfan

The Black Orlov
C&C doesn't warranty their stones against chipping...I think that says it all.
Just be careful and to be extra secure, use a 6-8 prong mounting
...that way if you whack it, it will probably hit a prong (though it may still chip under the prong if you hit it hard enough.)
I've owned multiple moiss rings with no chips...now I feel the need to very carefully knock on some wood, too.

I chipped a diamond within 6 months of receiving it. I replaced that diamond with a moissanite, and I think I've even hit it worse than the blow that did the diamond in, and no chips yet.

moissfan

The Black Orlov
Yep, diamonds chip/crack, too, and when they do, you are out alot more moola than when you chip a moiss.
With all its cons, there are many many more pros to owning moiss.
It truly is a gorgeous stone and I proudly wear it!

As many of you know, I am a moissanite nut! I have dozens, and I have yet to chip one...Knock knock knock.LOL I don't think that they are very prone to chipping, or much more than a diamond, anyway. The thing that I love about mois is the sparkle, they test postive on a diamond tester, and they ARE much easier for a jeweler to work with than any cz.

moissfan

The Black Orlov
A seller on eBay was recently offering 2 unset chipped moiss stones
...she didn't say how the chips happened, but you got to wonder.
I know MissingSeattle chipped a moiss, too, so it definitely happens, even when you're careful...I know I just hope it doesn't happen to me.

I just wanted to note that moiss does NOT test as a diamond. That only worked on old testers when moiss first came out. I think people either love it or hate it. I don't like the way it looks unless it is in tiny stones ( like in pave settings)

3011sarah said:
I just wanted to note that moiss does NOT test as a diamond. That only worked on old testers when moiss first came out.
Although they have modified diamond testers specifically because of Moissanite, IMO less than 1% of the testers out there currently can distinguish between a Moissanite and a diamond. Moissanite testers are hard to find unless the retailer actually sells Moissanite.

sapphirepod said:
I've read a lot about moissanite and there are some confusing things out there. Almost every site that sells moissanite claim it's not only hard, but also tough and resist chipping. Yet many other sources say it's brittle and chips easily. That's like saying this thing is purely white but also black. I'm all confused. I don't do tough works with my rings on, but I do like stones that are not fragile. What if it's dropped onto the floor, or hit on the wall or furniture? I suppose replacing a chipped moissanite wouldn't cost a fortune.
Still it's trouble.

Anyone have some first-hand experiences and know if it's tough or brittle?
I am actually in the process of writing an article comparing Moissanite and CZ side by side. Here are some excerpts that you might find informative:

Hardness - Resistance to Scratching
A common scale used to describe the relative hardness of two or more stones is the Mohs because it is generally easy to understand. However it is important to note that the Mohs scale is only good for comparison purposes as it does not indicate the actual hardness of the stone.

For example, sapphire (9) is twice as hard as as topaz (8), but diamond (10) is almost four times as hard as sapphire.

The knoop indention test is a better decriptor of the actual hardness of a stone as it measures the amount of force required to penetrate a substance (kilograms per millimeter squared). Moissanite measures 3000 kg/mm2 whereas CZ only measures 1370 (which is comparable to Topaz at 1250). Therefore,Moissanite is more than two times (119%) as hard and scratch resistant than CZ.
Diamonds hardness ranges quite a bit, from 5700 to 10400 kg/mm2. Therefore although Moissanite is twice as scratch resistant as CZ, diamonds are 2 to 3 times more scratch resistant.

In our experience, scratching is very, very rare with Moissanite.

Toughness - Resistance to Breakage
Moissanite is extremely resistant to chipping and breaking. One of the most common ways of measuring toughness is by measuring the pressure tolerance of a material in millions of pounds per square inch. Moissanite is more than 3 times tougher or resistant to chipping / breaking than CZ (7.6 PSI compared with 2.4 PSI).
Diamonds are twice as tough as Moissanite (14.6 PSI compared to 7.6 PSI).

Although breakage does happen, it is rare. I am not sure how it happens as it seems that many can beat the daylights out of their Moissanite jewelry and its fine, and then every once in a while someone hits it just right and BREAK!

I personally recommend insuring your Moissanite jewelry. Jewelers Mutual have some excellent rates. In addition, (here is the plug
) we offer our customers substantial discounts if they have the unfortunate experience of breaking a stone (therefore if you have a broken stone that you want replaced, contact me for pricing).

diamonds247

The Millenium Star
interesting....I wonder if the diamond coating on Ashas makes any kind of a significant dent in the hardness or toughness putting it between CZ and Moissanite??

Less, perhaps you could answer? Or someone with more knowledge than me...