Dimensions of the Krupp

Aha! You girls are not alone... there are many very much into copying famous diamonds for fun
Every now and then, a set of vintage copies pops up in antique shops and auction even - the oldest I know of dates back to 1905 or so! Easy to understand, no...

Oh well: down THIS PAGE there are some names and numbers for sources of CZ replicas of famous diamonds

Some CAD files too, just in case...

I doubt I'd ever dare show up with such a thing - maybe keep one in the drawer to play with
Or have a reasonably sized copy - some of the cuts are so great!

Sigh... something like this, it wouldn't have to be that large to impress! (IMO, at least).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah... I don't know what to do with this sort of ideas either. I would love to see some awesome old shapes resurrected too! Preferably in something natural of wearable size. Since the material will need high RI for the shapes to 'work', this leaves natural zircon and sphene as prime candidates. And of both there seems to be more material available lately. Especially sphene (Pakistan). It would take one crazy custom cutter and some fine rough to do the trick. Oh well...

Yeah... I don't know what to do with this sort of ideas either. I would love to see some awesome old shapes resurrected too! Preferably in something natural of wearable size. Since the material will need high RI for the shapes to 'work', this leaves natural zircon and sphene as prime candidates. And of both there seems to be more material available lately. Especially sphene (Pakistan). It would take one crazy custom cutter and some fine rough to do the trick. Oh well...

Oooh, some old shapes would be really cool. I'm not sure what material I'd prefer. I have never seen sphene. I'll have to look up its specs.

Have you thought about asking Gem Bob to cut some stones for you? There are some pics of some of his pieces around here in various locations. It looks like he will cut pretty much anything you want in whatever material is available. He has a web site too - ack! I can't find it - I'll have to post it from my other machine - unless somebody beats me to it!

I'm planning to make cabinet/drawer pulls with the big stones. I'll probably also make some light fixtures too - as soon as I set up my workshop again . . . sigh!

[quote

I have never seen sphene. I'll have to look up its specs.

Have you thought about asking Gem Bob to cut some stones for you? [/quote]

Sphene... is not awfully common in jewelery shops because it is quite soft (and tricky to facet). About as soft as opal - borderline wearable. BUT, it has much higher dispersion (=fire) than diamond, cute orange shades (combinations with green, yellow and brown, quite intense all) and high brilliance when not too deep colored. Faceted stones are really quite a sight... at least the fine ones. I have only seen them loose - huge ones part of mineral collections, not jewelry. But the thing is occasionally used in jewelry - found a few examples online... and would love to give it a try given those looks!

Here's what I am talking about:

The seller, ' AmericanThai ' (another on my 'most wanted' list) had a few pieces, nicely cut... but... I could never quite make my mind to bring yet one more piece of jewelry in the house!

On the other hand...
Gotta look for the gem cutter you mention!

CaraMish

The Imperial Diamond
[quote

I have never seen sphene. I'll have to look up its specs.

Have you thought about asking Gem Bob to cut some stones for you?

Sphene... is not awfully common in jewelery shops because it is quite soft (and tricky to facet). About as soft as opal - borderline wearable. BUT, it has much higher dispersion (=fire) than diamond, cute orange shades (combinations with green, yellow and brown, quite intense all) and high brilliance when not too deep colored. Faceted stones are really quite a sight... at least the fine ones. I have only seen them loose - huge ones part of mineral collections, not jewelry. But the thing is occasionally used in jewelry - found a few examples online... and would love to give it a try given those looks!

Here's what I am talking about:

The seller, ' AmericanThai ' (another on my 'most wanted' list) had a few pieces, nicely cut... but... I could never quite make my mind to bring yet one more piece of jewelry in the house!

On the other hand...
Gotta look for the gem cutter you mention! [/quote]

Very good eBay seller-nice guy!!! I purchased a light yellow sapphire from him and it's lovely...

I venture over to ebay myself to drool over his sphenes and other lovely stones...

love36

Afficionado
I'm half thinking that it might be interesting to make a copy of Liz Taylor's Krupp ring. I'm still toying with the idea.
Love the idea, I was thinking doing just that with a smaller stone. 5ct Emerald center in Yellow