Cushion cut... 6.5 or 7mm?

Hi all,

The boyfriend and I are talking about engagement and have decided on Amora Moissanite. I looooove it... and love how the price makes it easy to decide on whatever size I would want! I want a simple cathedral solitaire, something like sol 207, with a 2mm band and the double claw prongs. http://www.moissaniteco.com/cathedral-moissanite-solitaire-ring-setting-p-6184.html

The only thing left is the size! I haven't seen as many cushion cut stones in person so I feel like I am less familiar with how the sizing looks. I am deciding between 6.5mm (1.4 ct equivalent) or 7mm (1.8 ct).

I am worried that the 6.5 will seem small (esp with just a solitaire), but then I also worry that the 7mm will seem obnoxious or glaringly not a diamond. We will probably disclose that it's moissanite, but obviously not to strangers... and I'm in a line of work where I work with people all day long.

Thoughts??

Thank you!!

We are in the same boat! Im deciding on a 6.5mm & 7mm cushion moissy which will be set in a dropped halo so it looks like a solitaire. I keep going back and forth between the two. I actually just ordered some loose cz stones to figure it out before i order....what size is your finger?

Last edited by a moderator:

MissCassie

The Pink Orchid
Get the 7mm, big enough to give great coverage and sparkle, small enough to be "believable" if you are wishing to pass it off as a diamond.

My finger is a 6.5.

Hmm, maybe ordering loose cz is a good idea! I think I have a page bookmarked for that somewhere.

So Germahaitianese, the 6.5 cushion is approx equivalent to a 1.25 RB? That is definitely helpful... I feel like I have such a better sense of what size RBs "look" like on, with finger coverage/overall size/etc.

annelizabeth said:
Sparkle621, do you have a picture of what you're thinking of? Sounds gorgeous!
My original choice was from Moissanite Co, but I've decided I wanted something a little more delicate. Here's the link for the one from Moissanite Co:

http://www.moissaniteco.com/cushion-moissanite-petite-pave-style-engagement-ring-p-12929.html

But then after searching the forum I came across Jcent's peachy pink cushion, and SmartyPants Dani's custom made cushion from David Klass, and it was EXACTLY what I was looking for (Sorry Ladies I hope you don't mind!)

Here are the links to their posts:

Jcent's : http://betterthandiamond.com/discussion/ubbthreads.php/topics/710005/1

SmartiPants Dani: http://betterthandiamond.com/discussion/ubbthreads.php/topics/699912/1

It's very similar to a ring made by Leon Mege called the Cosmo. Its so beautiful! I'm so happy to have found this forum and everyone's wonderful ideas!

The part that sucks is that we are waiting until April to start the project with David Klass, so I just lurk on the forums trying to pass time. LOL.

BTW, I love your choice from Moissanite Co!

sparkle621 said:
SmartiPants Dani: http://betterthandiamond.com/discussion/ubbthreads.php/topics/699912/1

It's very similar to a ring made by Leon Mege called the Cosmo. Its so beautiful! I'm so happy to have found this forum and everyone's wonderful ideas!
Beautiful!!!

I went ahead and ordered some loose CZ to look at some sizes... but I think I am leaning towards 7mm, as previous commenters suggested.
Thanks for your input!

annelizabeth said:
My finger is a 6.5.

Hmm, maybe ordering loose cz is a good idea! I think I have a page bookmarked for that somewhere.

So Germahaitianese, the 6.5 cushion is approx equivalent to a 1.25 RB? That is definitely helpful... I feel like I have such a better sense of what size RBs "look" like on, with finger coverage/overall size/etc.
If your ring size is 6.5 then a 7mm will be gorgeous!

A 6.5mm cushion will face up a tad larger than a 6.5mm/ 1ct round. A 7mm cushion will face up a tad larger than a 7mm/1.25 ct round. This is because of the corners of the cushion.

I would go 7mm cushion... Perfect size IMO

dreamingofbling said:
A 6.5mm cushion will face up a tad larger than a 6.5mm/ 1ct round. A 7mm cushion will face up a tad larger than a 7mm/1.25 ct round. This is because of the corners of the cushion.

I would go 7mm cushion... Perfect size IMO

Super helpful comparison.... thanks!!

Newbie here!

NatalieStar, I love love LOVE your ring and I'm looking to change my setting to the Tiffany Legacy! I have a similar question to the OP, and I'm leaning towards purchasing a 6.5mm forever brilliant vs. 7mm since the halo will add a significant amount of finger coverage (I have a size 5.25 finger). Do you gals think the 6.5mm would be enough or should I go 7mm? Thanks for the help in advance!

I wanted a 7mm, but jcents cupcake is I think a 9, so I figure why not an 8 mm. (notice I want to go up a whole and not half mm LOL)
Go for 7.5?