Birthday Cake recipes?

diamonds247

The Millenium Star
Dh's Bday is in a week and I'd like to make him a yummy cake. What are some of your favorites? I asked him but he just said ok IDK a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. I want to make him something a little more special than just a from a box cake kwim? LOL
Any suggestions?

diamonds247

The Millenium Star
that sounds yummy! And I love a good red velvet cake, some can be so dry, kwim?

Does the cooking temp and or time change for making this recipe for cupcakes?

Blingaholic

BTD Crown Jewel
i didn't change the times or temp for cupcakes. but my oven is wimpy to i used the stab--in-the-middle-with-a-toothpick trick to test to see if it's done.

Bling, anything you're looking for in particular? My mom and I are the designated bakers in our family and have tried and true recipies up to our eyeballs!

diamonds247

The Millenium Star
Ivanna Sparkly said:
Bling, anything you're looking for in particular? My mom and I are the designated bakers in our family and have tried and true recipies up to our eyeballs!
Ivanna do you mean me?

Maybe a good chocolate cake? But DH isnt really picky and I am open for suggestions!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, yeah! Sorry! I read Bling's post and mixed you two up. You both must be so awesome that I couldn't tell the difference!

My go-to chocolate cake recipe is called "Deep, Dark chocolate Cake" it's a bit more dense than some, but stays really moist. I just made a butterscoth cake the other day, too, that was surprisingly interesting and good!

diamonds247 said:
That chocolate cake you mentioned sounds yummy!! Post if for us!
This is for three 9" cakes (for a layered cake) let me know if you need the recipe for a 9x13 instead.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"> </span> <span style="text-decoration: underline"> Deep Dark Chocolate Cake</span>

2 1/2 C. Unsifted flour
3 C. Sugar
1 1/3 C. Good quality cocoa
2 1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
2 1/4 tsp. Baking Powder
1 1/2 tsp. Salt
3 Eggs
1 1/2 C. Milk
3/4 C. Vegetable oil
1 1/2 C. Boiling water

Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients EXCEPT boiling water. Beat at medium speed approx. 2 minutes. STIR in boiling water (batter will be pretty thin.) Pour into three 9" layer pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool ten minutes on a rack. Remove from pans, cool completely and frost.

Personally, I like a thin layer of chocolate ganache on it, but that's because I'm a complete chocoholic. Most people tend to think that's way too much chocolate for this cake. A quick homemade chocolate frosting is always perfect on it.

Ok, here's the recipe for the 9x13!

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Deep Dark Chocolate Cake</span>

1 3/4 C. Unsifted flour
2 C. Sugar
3/4 C. Good quality cocoa
1 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Salt
2 Eggs
1 C. Milk
1/2 C. Vegetable oil
1 C. Boiling water

Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients EXCEPT boiling water. Beat at medium speed approx. 2 minutes. STIR in boiling water (batter will be pretty thin.) Pour into 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool completely and frost.

That sounds so good Em, I am going to try that one! Josh had a chocolate craving not even a couple of hours ago, and I have I think all of those ingredients on hand, lol!

This is a family favorite, my brother and I insisted on this as our birthday cakes when we were younger. I absolutely love it, but you have to like chocolate and cinnamon together. It's really easy and super moist...just not really "decoratable" as a birthday cake.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Chocolate Chip Cake</span>

2 C. flour
1 1/2 C. Sugar
2 Tsp. Baking powder
1/2 tsp. Baking soda
2/3 tsp. Salt
1 1/3 C. Sour cream (you can use non-fat, but lite or full fat works best)
2/3 C. Butter or margarine, softened
1 tsp. Vanilla
3 Eggs
1/2 C. Sugar
1 - 2 tsp. Cinnamon (depending on taste)
1 C. Semi-sweet chocolate chips (Or more if you want!)

In large bowl, combine first nine ingredients. Blend 1 min. at low speed, then 3 mins at medium speed. Pour half the batter (about 2 1/2 cups) into a greased 9x13 pan. In a small bowl, combine 1/2 C. sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle half of both the sugar mixture and chocolate chips over batter. Repeat with remaining batter, sugar mixture and chocolate chips. Bake at 350 degrees 35-40 mins or until cake tester comes out clean.

Let me know that you think if you try it. I hope you like it, D247! I just tried this as cupcakes this afternoon, and they turned out really well. Bake time was about 30 mins for cupcakes instead of the cake. (They were kind of annoying to make this way though....but worth it!)