Apple Butter, anyone have a good recpie?

RooGirl

BTD Crown Jewel
okie dokie... here we go....

this makes about eight 8 ounce jars...

6lbs apples peeled cored and quartered
2cups sweet apple cider
3cups granulated sugar
1 1/2tsp ground cinnamon
1/2tsp ground cloves

Step 1 : In a large stainless steel saucepan, combine apples and apple cider. Bring to a boil over meium high heat. Reduce heat and boil gently stirring occasionally until apples are soft about 30 minutes

Step 2 : Wroking in batches transfer apple mixture to a food mill or a food processor fitted with a metal blade and puree just umtil a uniform texture is achieved. Do not liquefy. Measure 2 cups of apple puree

Step 3 : In a clean large stainless steel saucepan combine apple puree sugar and cinnamon and cloves. Stir until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil over medium high heat stirring frequently. Reduce heat and boil gently stirring frequently until mixture thickens and hold its shape on a spoon

Step 4 : Meanwhile prepare canner jars and lids

Step 5 : Ladle hot butter into hot jars leaving 1.4inch headspace. Romove air bubbles and adjust headspace if necessary by adding hot butter. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Screw band down until resistance is met. Then increase to fingertip-tight.

Step 6 : Place jars in canner ensuring they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil and process for 10 minutes. Remove canner lid. Wait 5 minutes then remove jars cool and store.

If you would rather have a butter that is less sweet then sweet apple cider type butter substitiute 1cup honey for the 3 cups graulated sugar.

If you are wanting more old fashion apple butter prepare above recipe as indicated but replace apple cider with 3 cups water and increase sugar to 6 cups if using very sweet apples start with 5 cups sugar cook until thickened then taste and ass remaining sugar if you would like....

.... I haven't made any yet this year... but this is the one I use... it's turns out terrific everytime....

Last edited by a moderator:

MrsFISH

Afficionado
My grandmas church used to make it every year and they used redhots (the candy) I don't know the recipe and she has passed away now, but it was best! she was often in charge of the kitchen so she was there every year peeling and cooking..... Memories.

poppyseed

The Florentine Diamond
Instructions:
1. Peel and slice apples until you fill crockpot.

2. Add 2 tbs water to start apples cooking.

3. Cook approximately 48 hours, stirring occasionally during day time. Cook on HIGH during day time, but cut temperature back at night.

4. After about 40 hours of cooking add sugar to taste, continue to cook until thick and glossy.

5. Last put oil of cinnamon to taste and stir well. If you don't have oil of cinnamon - put in about 1 tbl. of "red hots" (candy)

6. Place in jelly jars. Seal and put in a 10 min. water bath.

Note: Stayman apples are the best to make apple butter with.

Last edited by a moderator: