Anyone got any good soup recipes?

sparklee

The Millenium Star
It's cooling down and I have a craving for soup, but I'm not a big fan of canned varieties - much prefer to make it from scratch.

At the moment I'm obsessed with Panera's Vegetarian Creamy tomato, and I've been looking for a dupe recipe online. I want to try and make that one of these days.

I'm kinda bored of my old recipes and would love to hear any of your favorites.

poppyseed

The Florentine Diamond
Pasta fagioli (Italian Bean soup)

2 cans of great northern beans, or any white kidney bean undrained
2 bean cans of water
1 lb of browned ground beef
1 cup of Italian tomato sauce
1/2 lb of elbow macaroni

brown beef in large skillet, add everything else but pasta, simmer for 1/2 to 1 hr covered.

Boil pasta, mix with soup mixture, serve w/ grated parmesan or romano cheese and crusty bread. Serves 4.

I make soup with whatever veggies I have laying around and then pop my immersion blender into the mix to make a creamy puree that I serve with big chunks of "artisan" bread, or just any bread that is a little fancy and good for sopping up the leftovers! For example:

1 red bell pepper
1 sweet potato
some little vine tomatoes
water
salt
pepper
olive oil

Put a 3 qt sauce pan on medium heat and add a tbsp of olive oil. Rinse and chop all your veggies as small as you can stand to chop them (they cook faster). Add them to your hot oil and stir frequently. (I never put a lid on and walk away because pretty much every time I make this I want my soup YESTERDAY) As it's getting mushy, I add some water here and there to give it a broth. When all the ingredients are mushy, I put the immersion blender in and let it do the rest of the work.

Sometimes I'll add a half cup of Fage 0% greek yogurt if I want it to be creamier, but I only add that if the vegetables are really sweet. So in this soup with the tomatoes, no greek yogurt, if I'm making sense here.

So anyway, finish it off by adding salt and pepper to taste. Once I made something like this and topped it with crushed almonds and pan tossed snap green beans. It was kind of fabulous. Oh and eggplant chunks. It was good. A real Fall flavor festival in my mouth. DH liked it too!

ETA: I know I sound like a bumpkin for not knowing the names of things I'm describing, but hey, I am what I am! ;-) lololol

Last edited by a moderator:

RooGirl

BTD Crown Jewel
I'm making Elbow Macarrones and Potato soup this evening....

1 1/2 bottles of 64FL oz. Campbell's Tomato Juice from concentrate.... ( you can use any type you like this is what I usually use )

1 16 oz box of Elbow Macarrones ( again use as much or less as you like )

Potatoe pilled and cut into chuncks ( use as many or as less as you like )

Take a 6 qt pot and fill just over 1/4 full of water and place on stove to boil.... cut and add potatoes... then pour tomato juice into pot to boil.... after pot starts to boil good turn to med heat and add salt and pepper...

Once potatoes start to soften put mac into pot... once mac is tender it's ready to eat...

This is my fav...

I make an awesome potato soup, and it's super easy. Theres really not a recipe for it, I just "eye ball" it.

3 1/2 C water
1 onion diced
5 potatoes peeled and diced (this is where I just eyeball it)
3 chicken bouillion cubes
5 TB flour
5 TB butter
2 C milk
Salt and pepper to taste

Just throw the diced onion and potatos in the water and boil until tender, then add your bouillion cubes.

In a seperate pan make a roux with the flour and butter. Slowly wisk in milk, should be kind of thick like country gravy. Add this to the soup, and voila! I've made this with ham in it, or completely vegetarian with veggie stock instead of the chicken bouillion.

We're having a soup bar for my SIL babyshower and we're going to set this up with bacon bits, cheese, and chives on the side so people can add what they want. I just like it with crusty bread!