Any candle makers?....

MrsFISH

Afficionado
I am ready to start a new hobby and am thinking I might enjoy making candles, but I want to do it right, make the really yummy smelling ones, I was thinking someone on here was good at that? I have read a little bit about the waxes, and wicks etc, but am unsure of who to buy from. Anyone care to chime in.

sparklee

The Millenium Star
I've been making candles for about 11 years now, and thoroughly enjoy it. I buy most of my supplies at Candlescience, and Peak's. I use a special blend of paraffin wax that I get from Candlewic.

It is very important that you thoroughly test your waxes and wicks. Too big a wick and your candle will burnout. Too small and it will tunnel. The testing process can take time, but it's worth it in the end 'cause you want to have a safe product, especially if you're going to give them as gifts or sell.

Let me know if you need any help - I'd be more than happy to advise.

MrsFISH

Afficionado
Yeah I was thinking of you
I was looking at peaks. What do you recommend I purchase to get started? I burn through candles like crazy, I have. 4 Yankee Santa cookie ones burning right now! The big jar ones. I figure that I will get to do a new hobby and make something that I love. I would love to be ble to gift them to friends and family as well.

Your candles look great, I want to be able to make them as strong smelling as possible, I see that some waxes hold sent better? And I might need a bigger wick? I am open to any and all suggestions, I have just been throwing stuff into my cart

Last edited by a moderator:

sparklee

The Millenium Star
Well, first you have to decide if you're going to make jar candles or pillars. Do you want to use paraffin wax or soy wax?

I don't make jar candles - I tried years ago and after 3 months of testing, still couldn't get the wax to completely consume, and they produced far too much soot, so I gave it up. I wouldn't be a big help there. I make small tins of soy wax, and mostly pillars.

Soy tins.

Jar candles are some of the hardest to make. The issue here is making sure that your wax consumes but does not burn so hot that cracks the glass. You also want it to burn enough wax. If it doesn't burn the wax sufficiently the wick will produce soot which is a health hazard. I had a dark ring in the garage above my testing bench!!!!

So, first decide what type of candle you want to make.......

MrsFISH

Afficionado
Hmmm, I don't think I am up to the challenge of the glass comtainers. I was thinking pillars or the small tins like what you showed in your picture (what size are those). Are there pros and cons for using soy vs paraffin wax? I have heard that soy burns cleaner, but if it is a lot harder to work with I might start with paraffin.

sparklee

The Millenium Star
The soy wax tins are very easy to make. They are small (8oz) and burn well.

Soy wax does burn cleaner, but is a lot harder to work with, and does require a LOT more testing. I'm running around like a crazy person these days so give me some time and I will sit down and give you more details. I will get the name of the wax I use and the wicks to help you out with your first lot.