Upgrade Amora Gem Ultra to Eternity?

Discussion in 'Amora Gem Forum' started by parmleese, Jul 10, 2017.

1. parmleese

parmleese
    Expand Collapse
    Curious

What is with the price difference of the Amora Gem Eternity vs the older Amora Gem Ultra? Does anyone know why the new AG Eternity is much cheaper yet better, more brilliant, etc than the AG Ultra?

I may be upgrading but very confused by the difference in prices. Has this been explained already somewhere within the threads?

#1 parmleese, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  2. MissCassie

MissCassie
    Expand Collapse
    The Pink Orchid

Okay, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but here is my understanding:
    -Price is determined by color, carat weight, and clarity for the stones, in the past there were very few D/E stones, mostly F with some G, and there was a large premium for the D/E stones, and even more for D/IF, it seemed to me the lower color stones sold faster because they were cheaper, and so when you looked there were usually the "overpriced" ones
    -There has consistently been steady production of D/E stones for some time, and once they were being produced consistently Less dropped the premium for those stones, making them less expensive.
    -There was a price increase of 5% (?) a year or so ago for the "base" of F/VS in stone quality.

So,if you are looking at a stone with the same weight, color, and clarity as your ultra, and it's cheaper, then I have no idea and missed the drop in price!

3. diamondangel

diamondangel
    Expand Collapse
    BTD Crown Jewel

Can't tell you about the pricing, but I can tell you that the cutting has been perfected. The Eternity is simply spectacular, and much closer to the look of an ideal cut diamond. I had a 3.98ct Ultra (I lost it), and have a 4.04ct Eternity, and can say the cut is definitely superior.

4. parmleese

parmleese
    Expand Collapse
    Curious

Thanks for the explanation! That makes sense. I have a D/IF Ultra and it was about $1400. The closest I can find for the Eternity is an E/IF and it is about $700 so I was quite shocked by the difference! It made me feel like I had lost money and quality by having the Ultra earlier on.

5. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Parmleese,

D/IF is a higher premium than E/IF :)
    There's a rarity premium on D color vs E, and further again on D/IF (since that's the rarest color and rarest clarity, and hardest to produce).

Anyway, pricing on a D/IF is definitely higher than an E/IF for the above reasons, and would not be considered the same specs.

Hope that helps!
    Less

6. parmleese

parmleese
    Expand Collapse
    Curious

Thanks for the response Less! I hate that my Ultra has gotten a scratch on it and surely it's something that only I have noticed. It's must've gotten swiped by my diamond wedding band somehow. Although I'm sure replacing it with an E/IF Eternity would hardly be noticeable to the human eye, I'd feel so bad telling my husband it costs half! :) I appreciate you getting back to me. I hope you guys can make some D/IF Eternity soon!

7. parmleese

parmleese
    Expand Collapse
    Curious

Hi Less,
    I currently have the Amora Gem Ultra H&A 1.27ct 6.89mm-6.94mm X 4.32mm D INTERNALLY FLAWLESS that I purchased for $1370.27.

It looks like you have recently produced a bunch of D Internally Flawless Amora Eternity H&A.

I see there's currently one at 1.59ct 7.47mm-7.51mm X 4.65mm D INTERNALLY FLAWLESS for $1,074.27. Is there any reason why a much larger gem with the same specs seems much cheaper than my Amora Ultra?

Thanks!

8. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Parmleese,
    There is a rarity premium for the D color and IF clarity. When production yields fewer over a few months, then the premium goes up and when we have more it goes down.
    As you noted, we have produced a large number of D/IF in the 1ct - 1.50ct range, so the price went down.

Conversely, we are seeing fewer D/IF over 2ct at this point so the premium will likely go up for these shortly.

The premium is adjusted every 3-6 months so it's not a weekly type of deal, but we do experience relative waves of higher and lower % D color. The IF premium (currently at $50/ct) is also likely to be raised as we're being left with lots of VS that are hard to sell, plus virtually no other diamond alternative is able to offer IF as we can so it's relatively rare outside of Amora, so the IF premium will have to be adjusted up shortly as well.

Hope that helps!
    Less