TRANSGEMS moissanite - has anyone heard or try them?

Discussion in 'Moissanite Forum' started by puppylove2, May 11, 2016.

1. puppylove2

puppylove2
    Expand Collapse

I am seeing this name brand (Transgems) a lot on ebay and aliexpress. I believe they are an Asian producer of colourless moissanites. I'd still stick with AG or C&C moissies but the good thing about Transgems is they produce colourless melees. Has anyone had any experience with them? THANKS.

2. Queen of Sparkle

Queen of Sparkle
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

I've seen these too during my travels through the internet,I don't know what they are really like though.....

3. sefirot-olive@hotmail.co.uk

[email protected]
    Expand Collapse
    Curious

Hi puppylove2 and Queen of Sparkle,

Transgems are registered in the U.S. Yes they are a D.E.F Colour Moissanite . I have them in rings I have had made with a Jeweller on Aliexpress. I also have C&C's Moissanites and sorry ladies the Transgems are by far the better gemstone. There is no hint of green or that yellowish tint that you can get from C&C's. Moissanites. I am just sorry I only discovered them in March this year. You can buy a 3CT. Transgenm for $899 , beautiful Gemstones. I am so inpressed that I have had two Solitaries custom made and a 2.50Ct.Wedding Band made with this Jeweller.

Hope this helps you ladies.
    Popeye.

Catterie likes this.
  4. Queen of Sparkle

Queen of Sparkle
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

Got any photos to show us?

5. Dana ♥

Dana ♥
    Expand Collapse
    The Centenary Diamond

and/or a grading certificate from a reputable lab confirming that impossible colour grade?

6. sefirot-olive@hotmail.co.uk

[email protected]
    Expand Collapse
    Curious

Hi There ladies,

Yes, I have photo's I can share if I just can figure out how to send them .Any help would be welcome.

Popeye.

7. jcent

jcent
    Expand Collapse
    BTD Crown Jewel

I have heard of them, but not seen one in real life. There a few new vendors now, all with white gems. It is a good time for moiss.

8. mshzzle

mshzzle
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

Correct me if I am wrong, but they are doing a secondary treatment to enhance the color grade. I'm pretty sure that's what CC is doing for their forever 1 to achieve D-F color. Their rough is not natively D-F color.

9. Catterie

Catterie
    Expand Collapse
    Smitten

Do you think they'd come close to the AGs?

10. mshzzle

mshzzle
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

I have no way of giving an opinion on them. I've never seen F1. Just FB.

11. mmascall

mmascall
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

I don't think C&C are treating the F1 stones in any way - they are the same type of SiC as the AG - 4H crystalline structure vs the old 6H. The difference is in the cut. F1 has the traditional moissy cut while the AG has a H&A cut.

ETA - In other words, yes the new F1 is natively D-E-F colour and, having seen them in person, they are gorgeous! Their performance very closely resembles a fine diamond, particularly the scintillation of the stone which is where, in my opinion, the AG falls short. Having seen the AG next to an F1, I'm not so sure that a H&A cut maximizes the performance of moissanite (AG and F1 are both moissanites - SiC.) I'll reserve judgement on the new AG cut as, of course, I have not seen one in person. I'll also add, the only way to truly judge a stone's performance is not through videos or pictures but IRL. If at all possible, it's always best to order one and judge for yourself.

#11 mmascall, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  12. jcent

jcent
    Expand Collapse
    BTD Crown Jewel

^^ +1. The new 4h material available now is not treated. And I agree with needing to see a stone in real life to know if you love it or not.

13. Queen of Sparkle

Queen of Sparkle
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

I seem to remember reading somewhere that when moissanite was first cut the same way as a diamond,it did not maximise the light return,sparkle,fire, scintillation etc.Expert cutters then developed a specific cut to maximise the fire,brilliance & light return by having a larger table & a few other tweeks.Also the new cut ensured that double refraction was not seen through the table of the stone.
    People say that they don't like the cut of moissanite,but that cut was specifically developed to bring out the best in moissy.

mmascall likes this.
  14. mshzzle

mshzzle
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

Well, given that the Soaring Hearts was designed with the most advanced gem design software there is, and after running 10,000s of simulations, that it is going to be the best cut that was able to maximize brilliance, scintillation and fire while still having proportions similar to a Hearts and Arrows diamond.

The most important factor is that the facets line up to return light through the top facets of the gem. The table size is probably least important given both moissanite and diamond have the table cut at 0/180 degrees, but don't quote me on that. Althuogh, table size will directly affect upper facet angles and how they correlate to the girdle (diameter edge of the stone)

There are a few "ideal" ways to optimize cut within the same material. The angles of the facets depend largely on how a certain gem or crystal will rerurn light. Moissanite bends light (refraction) stronger than diamond, so yes the facet angles will have to be different to maximize light return. The refractive index of moissanite and diamond are about 10% different of each other, so the faceting angles really don't need to be drastically different.

15. mmascall

mmascall
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

I'm very impressed with your level of knowledge re cuts, however, having seen the AG ultra next to an F1 and a D VVS1 very good cut diamond IRL, the scintillation is definitely lacking in the AG. Whether or not Less and his team have managed to fix this with the new cut (which to me is more significant than the large arrows) remains to be seen but I am hopeful. I think scintillation is not necessarily easily seen in videos - or at least not as easily seen as sparkles and flashes of colour. ETA - which is why I really really recommend seeing the stone in person if at all possible!

Now, having said all of that, I still love my AG and am very happy with its overall performance. I certainly wouldn't exchange it and, in most lighting environments, it does outperform some rather spectacular diamonds owned by my colleagues. It has a delicious sparkle that I can't describe and I do love the cut, fat arrows and all!

16. mshzzle

mshzzle
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

I agree that the previous Ultra's scintillation was "lacking" in that it does not scintilate as well as the H&A FB moissanite that I have, which scintillates more like a diamond does. The previous ultra seemed to have the light roll off the facets as opposed to a more distinct flash on and off like diamonds. That scintillation intensity is lacking. But, it is a more attractive cut for sure and still has excellent performance.

We still haven't seen a video of the Soaring Hearts that properly displays this property. My kitchen lighting is perfect for it, if I can only get my hands on one in the size, color and clarity I need I'd put up some HQ videos. It might still be a while though before I get one.

17. Queen of Sparkle

Queen of Sparkle
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

Personally,I prefere to have the intense scintillation in my stone than one with a "perfect diamond cut" that lacks the intense scintillation that I adore.After all,it's the maximum sparkle that draws the eye before you even notice the cut. I'm not referring to people who are interested in facet angles etc,just regular people who are not experts on cuts,they are the general public including me, who will be buying the sparkliest stones :)
    I have many moissy's & they are not all cut identically,but they are all well cut stones that were screened by MoCo. Everyone of them exhibits the intense sparkle that we come to expect from Moissy. I have seen some awful stones coming out of India that have not been cut to Moissanite ideal cut standards & the difference is shocking.So,I think that it is a case of the right cut for every type of stone that makes the difference.

#17 Queen of Sparkle, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  18. Mike.Bk

Mike.Bk
    Expand Collapse
    Curious

Is there anymore information on the transgems? This is the only forum post I have found on the internet that talks about them.

I had a look at a transgems vs a C&C F1 under a 10x loupe today and I'm no expert but the clarity was like chalk and cheese. The transgems (TG) was much much better. The F1 was surprisingly bad. The TG was clean as a whistle.

The jeweller was trying to sell me the F1, saying it is superior, but the TG had better clarity, and colour and he later admitted he sells more TG (they are cheaper than the F1).

I forgot to ask the jeweller if TG have different models, like C&C's FB, F1 etc. Anyone know?