Those "moissanite" from India

Discussion in 'Moissanite Forum' started by Sherman, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Sherman

Sherman
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

what's the deal with those moissanite's from India advertised on ebay? I know they must be poor quality but are they actually moissanite? or just a cz?

Pretty Boy Mario likes this.
  2. Sugarcloud

Sugarcloud
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

I have wondered that as well. Have to admit im a bit suspicious...

3. MissCassie

MissCassie
    Expand Collapse
    The Pink Orchid

I ordered a blue one, it is color coated, but it is moissanite (took it to have it tested at a reputable jewelers in town), it was about $90 with free shipping for an 8mm, which I thought was pretty good. [​IMG] Very sparkly, not 100% sure how I'll set it yet though.

#3 MissCassie, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2016
  4. Sherman

Sherman
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

Thank you! They might be fun just to play with if I find an old setting~ maybe I will keep watching them...

5. Brit

Brit
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

I purchased a few at a very nominal price. They were the "off white". One had a green tint and the other yellow. Not too bad for the $25 I spent on them. Not sure I am going to use them for anything though. Here is a quick video of them.

From top to bottom:
    6.4mm Off White Yellow Tint India Moissanite
    5mm C&C Forever Brilliant Moissanite
    6.9mm Off White Green Tint India Moissanite

7mm Asha D Color

http://www.youtube.com/v/sSEjNFLfsMI

#5 Brit, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2016
  6. Queen of Sparkle

Queen of Sparkle
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

For some reason I can't see the video [​IMG] There is a white bar right down the centre of the video screen.

#6 Queen of Sparkle, Sep 22, 2014
  7. mmascall

mmascall
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

Wow! Great comparison video, thanks for posting Brit.

8. gruby

gruby
    Expand Collapse
    Afficionado

Can someone post a link to one of these sellers?

9. Brit

Brit
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

I bought from users gemstoneworld7 and jewelmart7 but they are the same company. I think the bulk of them, if listed from india, are coming from the same place. Also I forgot to add both of my stones were sold as VVS1 clarity. Personally seeing what I was sent I would not consider anything less than VS.

http://stores.ebay.com/jewelmart7/

http://stores.ebay.com/gemstoneworld7/

I will add that I am kind of curious to see what a chocolate brown stone would look like. I may get another on of those to look see.

10. Dana ♥

Dana ♥
    Expand Collapse
    The Centenary Diamond

FYI some of those sellers are using pictures of diamonds (particularly photos of gorgeous stones from DBL) instead of real photos of the stones they're selling.

spaceship likes this.
  11. EvaAthina

EvaAthina
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm a sucker for a deal, and can't find a lot of info on stones from India. I've also not been on here much if at all.

I bought 2 moissy stones off ebay, one listed as colored and one listed as off white. The colored one is 11.44 mm and I love it, however it does have "silk" through it that was way more visible before I had it set. Now that it's set the silk is hardly noticeable, I'm very good at seeing flaws with my super vision. Also, because it was listed as a VVS, they refunded half of the price when I told them about the silk. The slight almost invisible silk (that remains visible) looks more like a laser line in a diamond treated for imperfections, and overall gives the stone a bit of character. Because it has slight internal flaws it does look like a diamond, where as most people have an understanding that because moissy is simulated it will be flawless like a cz is. I expected the double refraction to be more of an issue with Indian stones, but it's on par with US stones and exactly what's expected of a moissy.

The stone sent to me as off white would be a beautiful light green stone with lots of fire if it wasn't so badly cut. The table is over 70%! Who the heck cuts stones like that? It's such a shame to have such a horrific cut on an otherwise good stone. They gave up all it's fire. Just a big splintery gaping "hole" in the center of the stone. They gave a full refund plus return shipping.

The stones are a gamble so don't expect it to be delivered for a shotgun wedding timeframe. Also, they really do care about the feedback, so talk to them and ask for refunds or returns. It could take some investing to have several stones sent to you, and then possibly the return shipping for the ones that don't cut it, but in the long run they are waaaaaaay cheaper than other moissy stones, yet the quality does reflect it.

I love my colored stone, it's a grey/green/yellow, and about 5ct of super sparkle. I really do love it, and we have given it the nickname of "The Arkenstone". It's captivating and just pulls you into it, plus now I might have a bit of "Dragon Fever" and feel an intense need to hoard more gems... But I digress... If you are going to buy from India, go for color. The ones listed in the white range won't be white. Just my view, but like diamonds, the washed out faint colors of green just aren't as nice as the deeper colors. Also anything more than $20 a ct is most likely over paying, send them a counter offer instead or agree on a partial refund if it doesn't live up to it's title. The color ranges of green, grey, yellow, and brown are mostly native colors, and many places can show you a picture of the slab it was cut from. The colors like blues and pinks have been treated, and I have never in all my hours of research on the subject, have seen a review about how long or well the color treatment lasts.

#11 EvaAthina, Apr 21, 2015
    ocMrsB likes this.
  12. EvaAthina

EvaAthina
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

13. EvaAthina

EvaAthina
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

14. Windblownhair

Windblownhair
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

Thanks for sharing your experience! I am currently waiting for 2 to come in: a 3 carat black that was a whopping $1, and a medium blue, 1 carat that was $12. If they look decent, I'll be putting them in some fun little sterling settings.

15. Windblownhair

Windblownhair
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

Love the name! It is mesmerizing! And looks fabulous with that band [​IMG]

#15 Windblownhair, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2016
  16. EvaAthina

EvaAthina
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

Here's the reject. Too bad because it's a nice stone. Wonder how much recutting would be?

[​IMG]

17. EvaAthina

EvaAthina
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

I'd love to see them even if they don't turn out to be anything worth keeping.

18. Windblownhair

Windblownhair
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

Oh wow, that's quite a difference between the two!

I'll definitely take pictures when they arrive.

19. Mike_C

Mike_C
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

Thanks for the pics. I have had a lot of these companies contact us. However every time I have seen actual pics of the stones I lose interest. The cutting is pretty inferior to the C&C Moissanites (not to mention they can't make white stones).

#19 Mike_C, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2016
  20. Tanukiko

Tanukiko
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend