The Amora Blog...the Amora Gem Chapter

Discussion in 'Amora Gem Forum' started by talk-admin, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Macy

Macy
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

As of 4:45pm Eastern Dec. 16, those 4 ct. stones are still for sale. I'm surprised no one has snagged them yet!

Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 4.44.35 PM.png

2. jeanie

jeanie
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

They are both gone. Hope the buyers share their thoughts /impressions as well as some pictures!

3. diamondangel

diamondangel
    Expand Collapse
    BTD Crown Jewel

We were waiting for one for a wait-list client, and when we replace the stone in her setting we will do a video.

Mrs2Ouch likes this.
  4. gemcat

gemcat
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Oh, what a lovely idea! When I get an AVR/OEC set in my Swan, would you do a video as well?

5. jeanie

jeanie
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

That would be wonderful , and very helpful for those of us who are thinking of buying an Amora Krupp’s. Thanks!

6. diamondangel

diamondangel
    Expand Collapse
    BTD Crown Jewel

If we're doing the ring for you, of course!

7. Louie

Louie
    Expand Collapse
    Curious

Hi Less,

Will there be a restock of AVR OEC Amoras in the 6mm size range any time soon?

Thanks!

8. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Louie,
    We'll have more 6mm - 6.5mm range in February. We did have a restock in January but these were all 7.5mm+ size.
    Hope that helps!
    Less

9. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi All,
    I'm not sure if we will continue with the usual monthly Friday updates in 2018, so for now no blog update for January.
    The reason for that is I've been thinking whether the usual 8- 14 hours it takes to write up the blog each month is better spent on 'reusable' media like expanding the Amora 'real life videos' where the same amount of work would be relevant to users the entire year+ vs. the more temporary info provided in the blog.
    Another alternative would be moving to every other month blog updates etc.

Anyway, just wanted to update the deliberations here - if you have feedback on this please feel free to post.

In the meantime as a very quick update - production of all cuts except for Oval and Radiant is doing well and we have some inventory for nearly all shapes ready to ship now (at last!). We'lll have another large restock next week (beginning of February) which will include more Cushions, Princess and Eternities. Oh and Krupps and Asschers :).

Best regards,
    Less

#2989 talk-admin, Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    mmascall and MimiRyan like this.
  10. MissCassie

MissCassie
    Expand Collapse
    The Pink Orchid

While I have loved the monthly updates for years now, if changes as to how those 8-14 hours are going to be spent are being made, may I suggest the following:

- Better updates to the Amora Gem Restocking Schedule page of your website. That can go for over a month without being updated, which can be frustrating as a consumer. Even if there will be no restocks the next week, that would still be good to let those keeping an eye on it know.

-Every other month would still be fun, or even quarterly blog updates.

-Real life videos and pictures are so incredibly helpful, and most people would greatly appreciate it as those are some of the most requested content I see scattered around the boards.

mmascall and Sadiebelle like this.
  11. Sadiebelle

Sadiebelle
    Expand Collapse
    Craving

Couldn’t agree more with this

talk-admin likes this.
  12. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi MissCassie,
    Great feedback, thanks very much!
    1 - We are trying to be much more disciplined about the restocking page updates. It has unfortunately tended to get forgotten about since most of the focus/pressure is on production itself, but I agree with your point and we'll try and be a lot more on top of this going forward.
    Page is current as I type :)
    Amora Gem Restocking Schedule

2 - Quarterly might be a good idea for the blog.

3 - Real life video/photos - thanks for the feedback! That's exactly what we'll be working on over the next few months, the only negative is we've had so little sunshine lately, but we can still do various indoor lighting while waiting for Spring.

Hope you are doing well and thanks again for the feedback!

MimiRyan likes this.
  13. teevee

teevee
    Expand Collapse

I would love to see how the stones perform on a rainy / cloudy day.

Mrs2Ouch likes this.
  14. DASTardlyGal

DASTardlyGal
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

:( I'm going to miss the monthly updates. I don't have a life. I live for the updates, but, I didn't realize it took you that long to write and put up. So, do what you feel you have to, Les. Whatever you feel is best, I will be happy with. Glad to see the Amora Gems are finally being produced and available now. Thank you for all your hard work.

mmascall and talk-admin like this.
  15. loveAmoraaa

loveAmoraaa
    Expand Collapse

Videos sound good! it is hard to find video clips of Amora gems so would like to see some clips :)

16. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi all!
    Happy Friday! Believe it or not, it's time for the first Friday Update of 2018! As usual, please grab a drink, get comfortable and let's get this quarter's blog underway!

Videos, Videos, Videos: So as promised, one reason for slowing down the Friday updates this year was in part to work on more videos. And with that, it's time to deliver a heaping serving of Amora eye candy :)

First up - Amora Eternity, in the sun!

Next up, let's get more serious with the Amora Eternity Challenge. This video has a $1600 Amora Eternity, along with a $45K H&A diamond, in 5 different lighting environments. Can you tell which is which? (bonus - three lighting also have a CZ as another comparison point):

(Special thanks to http://GoodOldGold for the indoor lighting footage! And for those in NYC, they do have Amora's in stock to view in person alongside their diamonds).

Next up - Cushion H&A! This one was a very hot seller in the Fall:

More info at the Cushion H&A page here.

And finally, we recently completed the very first of our Oval Hearts and Arrows Amoras! Here's one of the first ones in sunlight:

Amora Oval H&A continued: So as the video above shows you, we did finally complete our first Oval H&A. Initial reception from the first owners has been exceptional, with a thread right here from one new owner, discussing their impressions in detail: Oval Obsessed!!

As a quick excerpt from the thread: "I think the Oval H&A is absolutely stunning. It has just the right amount of sparkle, with no bow tie effect! I don’t know how Less & his staff accomplish these amazing cuts, but WOW! I am so glad I waited for the H&A oval! My first impression when opening the box was, “Wow! *gasp*” It’s just so beautiful and so full of pastel-diamond-like sparkles!!!!!"

Thanks very much btw for their detailed feedback!

And as a bonus, a sunlight photo of the Oval H&A - doesn't show you the stone but how it returns light when facing straight into the camera:
    [​IMG]

More info on the Oval H&A here.

Amora Eternity Overnight Earrings! One of our fastest growing products has been the introduction of already set Amora Super Ideal Eternity H&A's in our platinum 4 prong martinis, and in stock such that you can order today, wear or gift tomorrow. Thus, the "overnight Earrings" concept. It's been a boon for many men with only a day or two to spare before their better half's birthday, but also just greatly simplifies the ordering process as it used to take 3 weeks to go from order to arrival, and now we've got up to 10 pairs in stock and ready to ship and arrive the very next day. Much better timeline :)

[​IMG]

More importantly though, is the exceptional feedback we've been getting on them. One such customer feedback is below:

"
    Amazing sparkle! [​IMG]
    By Unknown on April 9th, 2018

Let me preface this review by saying that I have two pairs of diamond stud earrings in platinum settings (E color 0.33ct each ear, and E color Hearts and Arrows 0.5ct each ear from a famous H&A brand), so I can give a fair comparison of how my Amora Eternity stud earrings measure up against diamond stud earrings - and, boy, do they measure up!! My Amora Eternity stud earrings are the most sparkly pair of stud earrings I own. Yes, they can definitely hold up to hearts and arrows diamonds. And, as a bonus, since I don't remove my stud earrings every day, the Amora Eternity studs don't seem to get greasy/filmy as quickly as my diamond studs do, so they stay super sparkly longer. I won't even go into the savings but since the Amora studs are easily equal to, or even more beautiful than my best H&A diamond studs, I won't be spending my money on any more diamond stud earrings in the future!"

Thanks very much to this customer for their feedback!
    You can view the pairs we have in stock and consider ordering today and wearing (or gifting) tomorrow here - Eternity Overnight Earrings

<<continues below>>

mmascall and diamondangel like this.
  17. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Expanding Amora Super Ideal Eternity H&A production - 5mm/.50ct Eternities - 12mm / 6+ct next month!: Our best selling product by far continues to be the Amora Super Ideal Eternity H&A, and thus I'm extremely happy to announce that we have laser cut the first of many (270+) 5mm or .50ct Eternities!
    This was a size we've never been able to do before in the Amora, but I'm excited about it as it means we can greatly expand a)Eternity studs, and thus offer 1.00ctw pairs and b)pairs for three stone Amora rings!

In addition, we've got a number of 10mm - 13mm Eternitys completing now. These are the big jumbos that get into $1M+ type of diamond price equivalents (though you can't get Super Ideal H&A cut in diamond in these sizes...no one is willing to lose the rough to acheive max beauty due to the cost).

These will all be rolling out over the next few weeks. More info at our Amora Super Ideal Eternity H&A page here.

Universal Pricing coming for the Amora Eternity Stud Earrings and smaller - midsize Eternity's: We recently took a poll on the forums here and offered to start selling the Eternity's as "uncerted" and under universal pricing. The results were 2:1 in favor, and so we will shortly be offering both the usual "full diamond grading report" Eternity H&A, but also a limited amount of Universal priced Eternitys.

What does Universal pricing mean? - these will be identical Amora Super Ideal Eternity's (nano-polished, faceted girdle, Sarin HD checked angles, etc) - but, we won't send them through the full grading process. Instead, they will be priced simply as Colorless (expected average of E/VVS) and priced at flat $575/ct pricing.
    They'll be offered in bucket categories of .5ct, .75ct, .90ct, 1.00ct, and 1.25ct etc.
    In other words, a min size, a colorless Amora Super Ideal Eternity but without the overhead/details of the full grading report and expense. Thus, for example, the Eternity Overnight Studs would simply be a 1.00ctw pair for a fixed price for each pair (ala $699 if we are able to do our intro special on these (hint, hint).)

We'll still have the detailed pairs and detailed Amoras, but it's a way to simplify the product for those who just want sparkles in their ear, and lowering the price without changing the Amora quality one iota.

This feature will be rolled out over the next 2-3 weeks and will also include some .75ct each ear, and 1.00ct each ear Overnight Eternity studs!

Details of the Amora nano-polish process: Earlier this year we submitted some Forever One "H&A" Moissanite to the NAGL diamond grading lab and asked them to take some photos of their facet edges compared to the Amora Eternity facet edges. That produced this visual for you to review:

[​IMG]

The lab indicated the Charles and Colvard Moissanite has rounded edges, similar to a Mohs 7 garnet and looks like a press molded stone. The polish also only rated as Good.
    The point of this wasn't just to rib Moissanite, but really to show off the nano-polish process we developed to achieve true "diamond sharp" facet edges.
    You can see how the facets and polish of the Amora Super Ideal Eternity compare with the D color, GIA master diamond.
    Facet edge sharpness is vital to ensuring maximum fire and crisp brilliance. The rounding of the facets will roll light that should be going out to your eye back into the stone, and thus reduce the total fire and brilliance.
    Anyway, very pleased to show the details of the expensive R&A that we've undertaken to ensure that the Amora Super Ideal Eternity is truly "the Ultimate Gem".

Custom Cut Amoras! Our focus going forward is going to be primarily on the Super Ideal Eternity, but in order to expedite matching fancy cut lovers with their ideal Amora Gem, we are now testing a limited offering of doing custom cut Amoras!
    This basically means you can order an Amora cut to your mm size specs, place a $100 deposit so we know your interest is high enough to put money down, and give us up to 8 weeks - we'll select the rough, and cut you your own Amora Gem!
    The idea of course is for us to not have to chase what we "think" customers want to buy, and in reverse, make it easier for customers to simply order what they want and not have to wait and wait for us to eventually hit a restock that matches what they want!

We've already done several of these earlier this month and it's going well, so we'll continue it another 6 weeks or so and then decide after that if we want to continue to offer it. Thus, if you are interested, now is the time while we have the window open for these:
    Amora Gem Custom cutting

BTD News:

Takara lab grown white diamonds = 100% sold out! After seeing slow sales this past two years on our Takara white lab grown diamonds, interestingly sales have rapidly picked up this first quarter and we are for the first time, completely sold out!

We're thus planning to restock shortly and will have white Excellent cut rounds from .50ct - 1.50ct. Of possible interest, we're also planning to offer the same 4 prong platinum martini studs we use for our Amora Overnight Eternity's but with Takara lab grown white diamonds.
    First up will be a few 1.00ctw pairs running roughly $1600 a pair (near colorless, and not H&A like the EternitysTakara Lab Diamonds - Rounds). We are tentatively going to offer these under a similar 'universal' pricing concept as the 1.00ctw Eternity studs.

Thus, we're sort of becoming a stud earring super center (lol) but there is some advantage to this. We are steadily scaling the volume, which helps lower our cost for the raw mountings, our setters are able to do the work in higher number of pairs which is more efficient than doing one pair here, one pair there, and that helps again lower our cost. We pass on the cost savings which makes our stud earrings more cost efficient vs. a jeweler that does a pair a month and that of course, ultimately repeats the cycle as more orders come in, further increasing our scale, repeat.

The earring page is not up yet, but you can visit the Takara round page for more info on our round lab diamonds here.

DiamondBistro.com - upgraded and more features coming! So I had pretty much given up on http://DiamondBistro.com , our Ebay like site for buying and selling but 100% free (ad supported) ever growing into a bigger site, but also didn't turn off the website as people still continued to use it. However, much like going into your yard one day and finding that the slumped over plant you thought was on it's last legs was now thriving, upright and loaded with beautiful flowers, I was quite surprised to look at how much traffic to DiamondBistro.com had grown a few weeks ago when finally digging into our website traffic stats.
    The Bistro now has well over 2,000 rings listed for sale, and 400+ visitors per hour flowing through!
    [​IMG]
    Anyway, with that, we've decided to go ahead and make another push to see if we can continue to scale up DiamondBistro.com and as part of that, just upgraded the base software which hadn't been touched for nearly 3 years.
    Most of the features have to now be added to the user interface, but we've got some exciting new additions like simply logging in via your Facebook account so new users can simply visit and participate immediately instead of filling out a long registration form and similar in the works. Mobile viewing site layout will be added in the next few weeks to make browsing via phone easy, and more including a much improved 'recently sold' column, etc.

Please take a look and as noted, you are welcome to buy/sell for 100% free and save a bundle vs Ebay listing fees: http:DiamondBistro.com

Misc:

Beautiful star photo: As always, with Amora Gem originating from around large red giant stars, I'm happy to conclude this latest blog with a stunning photo of
    Rho Ophiuchi nebula.
    The brightest star in this image is Antares (Alpha Scorpii or α Sco), the fifteenth brightest star in the sky and the brightest star in the constellation Scorpius.

[​IMG]

Credit: Leonardo Ciuffolotti, Matteo Collina, Riccardo De Benedictis, Giuseppe Donatiello, Rolando Ligustri

Diamond as an investment? Learn from this couples *$9 Million* mistake!: Diamonds as an "investment"...be careful. This couple paid $15 Million, found it was worth $6 Million. (Amora Gem + $14.99 Million into a good stock index, could have avoided this whole ordeal [​IMG]

Buying diamonds? Avoid this $9 million mistake that Drew Brees made

That's it for this first 2018 blog! I didn't have time to cover a number of other items pending (including custom cut lab Colombian Emeralds and Alexandrite, more grading results of Charles and Colvard Moissanite, more sun videos for other cuts like the AVC and AVR, etc. so let's plan on meeting again sooner than 3 months from now - tentatively in June!

In the interim - thanks for reading, thanks for your continued support and hope you have a great Friday and month ahead!
    Best regards,
    Less

Lizzrd02, diamondangel and MimiRyan like this.