The Amora Blog...the Amora Gem Chapter

Discussion in 'Amora Gem Forum' started by talk-admin, Nov 11, 2011.

1. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Reyesia,
    The AVC design for Amora is complete. (And speaking of which I suppose we should post that out so people can see but the idea was not to 'tease' until we had an exact production date..but we'll revisit that decision).

The issue for AVC and Cushions H&A is that it will require distinct fingers for TIGER to produce and so it's better to run cushions on a dedicated TIGER. The AVR is basically a much chunkier round with steeper angles..so TIGER1 and TIGER2 are both able to produce Eternity H&A or AVR with just a software file change.
    Thus, the AVR is being introduced sooner than the AVC.

Hope that helps,
    Less

Windblownhair and reyesia like this.
  2. LucilleBall

LucilleBall
    Expand Collapse
    Craving

Makes sense, thanks for explaining! Bit of a bummer for people like me who really want an AVC but very understandable. Hopefully that happens sooner than later.

3. minmorocco

minmorocco
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

Wth is not a cursing reference. What the heck is not a curse.

Ps: I get a lot of things I really like from China and the truth of the matter is no one chooses an antique cut stone for its "robotic precision" and the fact that btd thinks this is a selling point for those cuts is pretty hilarious. I like the facets of the AVC very much. But BTD hasn't delivered so i found something else i like just as much

mmascall likes this.
  4. DASTardlyGal

DASTardlyGal
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

That's not a very gracious OR a nice thing to say to Les or to anyone. Sure, all the set backs and all have been maddening and heartbreaking, but, no need to act like this.

Mrs2Ouch likes this.
  5. NolaJules

NolaJules
    Expand Collapse

I’ve been following the R&D of the Amora Gem, as well as all the goings-on within the Amora forum for years… Always been more of a lurker than a poster, but felt compelled to chime in on a recent somewhat snarky comment regarding the AVC: that “nobody chooses an antique cut for its robotic precision.” I just wanted to add my two cents and say that I couldn’t disagree more. I own several antique diamonds, and adore each and every one of them for their quirky little imperfections. But the AVC is in a league of its own. Not to say that there aren’t other beautiful options out there, but if I were to settle for anything other than an AVC for the “forever stone”, I would feel a little disappointed every time I looked at my hand.

There’s certainly a market for both… But I’d be willing to bet that more members of this forum than not have a discerning enough eye for cut that they’re willing to hold out for the AVC.

If nobody is interested in cutting precision in antique cuts, then why do AVCs command such a premium? Why are we all on the edges of our seats waiting for the next little tidbit on the AVC Amora Gem? Just sayin’. :)

And that leads me to the second part of this… I’ve been engaged for about 3 months now with a sad little CZ stand-in ring (we thought the AVC would be available in May). With May almost over and no more information on AVC availability, I’m vying for a more permanent solution until it is available.

I’ve landed on a ~2ct Amora Eternity (set in, IMHO, the pinnacle of solitaire perfection – the CVB “Jovyn”)… And have been anxiously awaiting an 8mm restock.

Does anyone know the status of the restocking schedule? Last info I’m seeing was from 5/8—that there was a 6.5mm restock in the lineup for 3 weeks ago, followed by the 8mm restocks slated for last week and this. Have we not seen restocks because new inventory is going to the wait list? Or have there been production delays? When can we expect to see inventory in the 8MM range? Thanks so much!

Windblownhair likes this.
  6. Windblownhair

Windblownhair
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

Congrats on your engagement! Anything CVB is divine. The Jovyn is so classic and flows from every angle. You'll be wearing a little piece of art on your finger<3

I'm hoping to put an OEC-AVR in a CVB Astrid halo one day. I can commiserate with you, I'm also playing the waiting game.

NolaJules likes this.
  7. NolaJules

NolaJules
    Expand Collapse

Thank you so much! Exciting times indeed. Your ring will be absolutely spectacular! I could stare at her designs all day. Wearable art.

The waiting game is rough, but I'm certain it will be well worth the wait for both of us!

Windblownhair likes this.
  8. Windblownhair

Windblownhair
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

I'm sure it will!

9. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi all,
    I'm going to push the next blog entry until the Friday after next as this weekend is a holiday and the month end's mid-week next week.

Also, quick note to NolaJules - we will have more 8mm Eternity H&A ready next week (along with 7mm :)

Have a great Holiday Weekend and see you next Friday!
    Less

NolaJules likes this.
  10. NolaJules

NolaJules
    Expand Collapse

Wahoo!! Thanks so much for the update, Less! Happy long weekend!

11. TKA

TKA
    Expand Collapse
    Curious

Hi Less,
    Can you tell me if there are any plans for an asscher amora to be produced? I saw a video of one and it was really beautiful. Please tell me there are plans! Thanks, and my new light blue round is lovely!

12. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

HI TKA,
    Yes, we are planning to do it - it's just a function of getting enough resources to catch up on Eternity H&A, AVC, Cushion H&A, Krupps and then Asscher. I think we have some room for improvement on our Asscher cut design vs. the previous production and did spend some time last week starting work on that.

It's too early to commit to an ETA, but it is in the works.

Hope that helps,
    Less

13. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi all,
    Happy Friday! As usual, we've got lots to discuss so please grab a drink and let's get underway!

Eternity H&A production: We had several problems the first two weeks of May including one arm on TIGER1 going down, one of our production staff having a heart attack, and continued problems with TIGER2.

However, things have come roaring back since then, and TIGER1 is now running better than ever with a finger upgrade and new arm servo, our staff member is back and doing well, and we've produced some of our highest color and clarity Amora Eternity's ever.

Example - from this weeks restock, this incredible pair:

8001241 Amora Eternity H&A 1.35ct 6.97mm-7.00mm X 4.46mm D INTERNALLY FLAWLESS
    8001242 Amora Eternity H&A 1.32ct 6.99mm-7.01mm X 4.39mm D INTERNALLY FLAWLESS

Our most recent restock in fact had an astounding 62% D color, and 62% Internally Flawless!
    These were 7mm and 8mm sizes. We have more restocking today, and will have more 7mm - 9mm over the next several weeks.

One note - most (75%) of the Amora's didn't make it to public sale as they were sold using our new Eternity H&A reservation process, which I'll detail below.

Amora Eternity H&A in sunlight: We've had some more sunlight here in the NorthWest and thus had a chance to make a slightly improved outdoor video. This is an 8mm E/IF Eternity in sunlight:

Eternity vs. GIA triple-excellent diamond: Using a Sarin HD scan of an actual 1.01ct GIA triple excellent diamond, we can show you the visual differences via computer modeling between an ideal cut Amora Eternity H&A and this GIA triple excellent diamond:

Amora Eternity H&A reservation deposit: To try and address some of the customer feedback we've had, and to also help make our production more efficient, we have started a new Eternity H&A reservation system. This let's you place a $100 deposit, and provide the min/max specs of the Eternity you want. The $100 become's a $100 store credit in your account, but serves as a deposit to hold an Eternity for you.

Before each restock is posted for sale, we will review the list and pull a matching stone and privately hold that for you for 24 hours if we have a perfect match. We'll email with the specs and pricing and let you decide if you want to purchase or not.
    If not, it goes out for public sale as normal. If you decide to purchase, then you can pay the balance minus the $100 store credit, and we ship you your new beautiful Eternity H&A.

The goal of this is to make both your purchase experience easier (set and forget, with no need to race for restocks and constantly watch the site). On our end, it helps us determine our production each week as we will prioritize sizes that have higher reservations over those that don't have as many (or any).

Some quick details -
    1 - until June 4th, ,we are adding a bonus $50 so a $100 deposit becomes $150 towards your purchase. This is to incentivize using the reservation/deposit system.
    2 - You can cancel your reservation at any point, and we'll refund to your card.
    3 - Finally, we are only taking reservations for sizes that we consider likely to be produced over the next two months or so to avoid simply piling up reservations that are unlikely to be matched.

Here's the link to the Eternity reservation page:
    Amora Eternity H&A Reservation Deposit

Note that the regular email notification list is still in effect, and upon restocking, emails are still being sent.
    The difference is that with the deposit, we will physically pull and reserve an Amora for you for 24 hours vs. the email list, there is no guarantee - we simply email a notification and a matching stone(s) may or may not be there by the time you visit.
    The % rate of purchases has been 100% for the deposit system vs. purchases from the email waiting list are lower, and thus we definitely use the reservation system as the most important guide for each weeks production (which thus means reservations are more likely to be filled faster as well).

TIGER robots now 100% green energy powered: Our production facility, and thus our TIGER robots, are now 100% green energy powered!
    We've signed up for the PSE (Puget Sound Energy) Green Energy program and by paying a bit more per kilowatt hour, we're now using a blend of wind, solar, biogas and low impact hydro to produce our Amora Gems!

Amora AVR production has started: Very pleased to announce that the first Amora AVR-OEC cuts are now in stock and available! (one month ahead of schedule!). These are .98ct - 1.06ct, and I, J and K color!
    [​IMG]
    The warmer colors were by design and the result of rough screening for these, as many customers were asking for this in the antique cuts, as they are the 'authentic' color range for most antique cuts. We'll have 8mm range coming likely next week (probably same color range) and then more usual D/E/F production after that!
    One question that may arise is why is the AVR more expensive than the Eternity H&A? This is because of the very high crown, and very small table on the AVR. That upper portion is quite wasteful of the rough and thus requires at least half a carat more rough to make the same final size. Thus, a piece of Amora rough that could make an 8.5mm Eternity will only make an 8mm AVR. You can see the side profile of each in the video below.
    More details and inventory:
    Amora Gem OEC-AVR Cut

<<Post continued in next message>>

Windblownhair and ubtlav like this.
  14. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

<<continued>>

AVR vs Eternity H&A video: In order to see the different personalities and profiles of the Eternity H&A and Amora AVR, we've produced the following video showing you both via computer modeling. This way you can pick your favorite type of round cut!

We'll have 'real' photos and videos once we have the 8mm sizes ready (these are in cutting as I type).

Amora AVC (August Vintage Cushion): We are test cutting the first Amora AVC now using the optimized parameters Jonathan has developed for the Amora. This is a slight improvement to the cut that was done for the first Amora AVR's a year ago. This is being cut with a piece of defective rough but this is a necessary first step towards production. It appears we are low on rough for cushions so we don't have an ETA yet on the AVC but they are making progress. Once we verify this test cut, we'll post out some images to show the improved AVC optics.

Amora Cushion H&A: Similar to the AVR, we are working on a first test cut of the Cushion H&A with defective rough. That should complete next week and will give us feedback as to what robotic tuning we need to do to prep up for Cushion H&A production.

Amora Krupps and Asscher cut, or "the step cuts" : Some initial design work was done last week as we believe we can improve the total fire/brilliance over our previous designs. This also let's us finalize the sizes needed for suitable rough and we'll start watching for appropriate pieces next month.

TIGER3 nearing completion! TIGER-3 should finish it's final assembly this weekend. We'll thus be doing test runs next week. Note that we learned a lot of hard lessons from TIGER-2 (which still is not in production, though with two new servo's arriving next week we expect to have it finally ready). With TIGER-3, we have made a number of changes to try and ensure it's ready to produce upon arrival to our production facility. Overall, we are optimistic we'll have 3x our current production in July!

Eternity vs. Forever One Moissanite: Finally, one more video to show off the different look of the Amora Eternity H&A vs the Forever One Moissanite:

BTD misc:

Asha restock!: We had sold out on many sizes of the Asha H&A round and have just restocked most sizes today! (one month ahead of schedule) Asha® Hearts & Arrows Round - BetterThanDiamond.com

Overnight Earrings: We've added a new option that we'll be expanding on over the Summer - overnight 4 prong earrings. The 4 prong martini, with protector backs, have been the most popular of our earring styles - both for Amora and for the Asha. Previously however, you had to pick your stones, add the mountings, and then place the order and wait up to 2 weeks while we made them.
    To speed that up, we've started prestocking many sizes in the Asha & white gold, and will soon hopefully have Amora Eternity prestocked in platinum. With that, you can thus order before 1PM PST, Mon-Thursday and literally receive the earrings overnight.
    [​IMG]

We're including overnight shipping for free right now with the purchase to incentivize trying these out.
    Overnight Earrings - Asha Stud Earrings

Misc:

Lab grown diamond dealer finds mined diamonds in their melee parcels: Ada Diamonds, a jeweler in California that works only with lab diamonds, recently found some of their small melee diamond parcels spiked with natural mined diamonds. They alerted the GIA who verified the mixing.
    Anyway, an interesting turn of events given that for years it was mined diamond jewelers concerned about having lab grown mixed in. The press release about it notes that mined diamond demand has stagnated relative to demand for lab grown and that is their explanation for why it happened. (Note that JCK ran an article wondering if this was simply trolling the mined diamond industry :)
    Undisclosed Mined Diamonds Infiltrate Supply Chain of Luxury Lab Diamond Jeweler

A stunning night-sky photo: To close out this months blog, and with Amora's star-based ancestry, I wanted to show this stunning photo taken at Glacier Point, California by Redirecting to Deep Sky Colors:
    [​IMG]

That's it for this month. We expect to have a lot more Eternity H&A available over the next month, and continued progress on the fancy cuts.
    Have a great weekend, a great month and see you end of June!
    Less

15. Windblownhair

Windblownhair
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

Woohoo!!! Very excited the 8mm are coming out so soon. I've been anxiously awaiting their release since I put my deposit down with Jonathan. I cannot wait to see it in person:D

16. jeanie

jeanie
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

Hi Less,

I sent an email about two weeks ago,directly thru BTD website, asking if there is a way to find where I am on the waitlist for the Krupps cut. For whatever reason, I haven't gotten a response to that email. I have been on the Krupps waitlist for so long that I don't even remember what size range I listed when I added my name to the list. Since you seem to be getting close to offering the Krupps cut( so exciting!) is there a way that I, or any of the other Krupps wait listers , can check on our info. if we need to refresh our memories?
    Thanks,
    Jeanie

17. reyesia

reyesia
    Expand Collapse

First of all, congrats on your big progress and achievements this month -and for posting more updates on Facebook because a monthly update only gives me suspense>.<
    So so so glad your team is able to deliver a warmer gem into the table-yay!
    May I ask if you consider selling amora gem melees? Just why not go Amora on the side stones if they are brighter than actual diamonds...

18. TKA

TKA
    Expand Collapse
    Curious

Hi Less,
    Just a quick question on cleaning my new Amora: is it safe to use an ultrasonic toothbrush to clean it? I have a Phillips Sonicare and use an old toothbrush head to clean my other jewelry (use warm water and a bit of liquid hand soap and turn on the brush). Is it safe to do this to clean an Amora? Thanks!

19. mshzzle

mshzzle
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

A toothbrush is fine on an amora gem.

20. DASTardlyGal

DASTardlyGal
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

Since you decided to go green energy-wise, and you said that it cost more, does that mean you are going to have another price increase in the Amora Gem in the future?