Takaras now pricing at approx 1/3 the equivalent mined diamond

Discussion in 'Lab Grown Diamonds (real diamonds)' started by talk-admin, Aug 18, 2015.

1. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi all,
    Our latest batch of Takaras (1.55ct - 2.40ct) have arrived and are out for immediate sale.

I wanted to note that based on efficencies in the larger sizes (1.5ct+) we are going to focus on those sizes overall going forward.

The larger sizes are achieving pricing of 1/3 to as low as 1/4 the equivalent mined diamond...except of course Takaras are purer, clearer and harder than 98% of all mined diamonds.

Thus, for the smaller sizes we've revamped the pricing to also be in the similar average of 1/3 the mined diamond price.

That means pricing is very aggressive as the good news and all the pricing on our previous inventory has dropped. The bad news is that we also don't plan to offer anything below 1.25ct going forward for the most part.

So consider this an opportunity if you are in the market for a .53ct - 1.24ct diamond as the pricing is very aggressive.

https://betterthandiamond.com/takaradiamondsearch.php

Best regards,
    Less

2. wiigal

wiigal
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor

Re: Takara's now pricing at approx 1/3 the equivalent mined diamond

Is 2.4 carat the largest size possible to be grown for jewelry? Any idea if your source can grow 3+ carat sizes? If so, is the pricing still about 1/3 of the mined prices? As you know diamond prices go up exponentially after about 2 carats or so. So a 3 carat D VVS mined might be like $300,000. Obviously it doesn't make sense for the lab version to be priced at $100,000?

3. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Wiigal,
    The presses have room to grow bigger. However, do note that the round cut has a very low yield from the rough vs. say a cushion cut or some oddly shaped cut designed to solely maximize the finished carat weight.

That's why the recent 2.40ct, ideal cut round Takara is so impressive.

The pricing is not linked directly to the pricing of mined, so as they get larger then comparatively the value increases.

Example:
    The 1.55cts and 2ct are around 1/3 the equivalent, but the 2.40ct is 26% or 1/4 the price of the equivalent mined.

That said, the bulk of the market is still in the 7mm-9mm range, so that's where our focus will be.

Best regards,
    Less

#3 talk-admin, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  4. wiigal

wiigal
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor

Thanks for the response. This is exciting news.... hope to see more inventory and larger sizes for the lab created diamonds soon.

5. Future_Mrs

Future_Mrs
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

Bravo - offering lab-created diamonds of such color and clarity levels is a huge achievement! The pricing seems very competitive.

Less - Is BTD open to expanding into G/H colors and VS/SI ranges in the future or is the focus on premium / type IIa stones?

6. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Future_Mrs,
    Thanks for the kind words.

Re: color grades - these will continue to be D/E, type IIA, Golconda style diamonds.

The reason is that most of your mined G/H diamonds were in fact yellow diamonds to start.
    I know that may surprise a lot of people but it's true - what happens is that they were born yellow due to nitrogen impurities. They then sat in effectively an HPHT system under the earth for millions of years and over time, the nitrogen has an electric attraction due to the extra electron it's carrying and slowly but surely, the nitrogen switches places with the next carbon atom, then the next carbon atom until the nitrogens meet another nitrogen.
    They then lock up and their spare electrons then also lock up and as a result - no more interactions in visible light from the spare electron and the diamond becomes white instead of yellow. Since not all the nitrogen has a match you end up with a very faint hint of yellow, or G/H type diamonds.

The Earth provided all the heat and energy to do that above nitrogen aggregation for free. We don't have that luxury.

So the net is that generally you either are going to grow very pure Golconda style or you are going to grow yellow. The Earth style process for G/H is not an option, due to cost.

Now I'm sure the next question is why do some producers then have G/H color?

My understanding is that they are growing the diamonds originally via CVD (not HPHT). This lets them grow a lot faster but the tradeoff is a lot of either a)Nitrogen vacancies (nitrogen next to a blank spot where a carbon should be) and/or b)excess carbon getting locked in between the diamond lattice.

These are then HPHT treated to reduce the brown (from Nitrogen vacancies) or grey (interstitial carbon) and you can improve it to end up with a G or H color, but it has either a brownish tint or greyish tint....not the 'expected' yellow tint of a mined diamond.

Thus, while there can be G/H color available, it's not necessarily a natural look/tint to it.

Anyway, the summary is that production will continue to be D and E colors. The only G/H that I've seen was b/c some boron contaminant's got into the system so while they were G/H, they again were not the yellow tint but blue tint, though at least it's equivalent to a rare but mined style look.

Hope that helps,
    Less

#6 talk-admin, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  7. Future_Mrs

Future_Mrs
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

Thank you for the informative reply, interesting to learn about the details behind CVD vs. HPHT created diamonds!

8. labisbest

labisbest
    Expand Collapse

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, but not to BTD. I own two Amora Ultras and I recently purchased the 1.55 carat Takara diamond. It is amazingly beautiful, and a higher quality diamond than I ever thought I could afford. I have been following the progress of lab created diamonds for the last decade, so when I saw the quality, size and price of the newest Takaras I new this was my opportunity to buy in. If you are in the market for a diamond don't miss the Takaras, they are amazing!

BTW, I'm fairly new to message boards and I was wondering if the posts on this board have the date they were posted anywhere?

9. mmascall

mmascall
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

The date shows on the upper right hand corner of your post. Also, and more importantly [​IMG], WHERE ARE THE PICTURES????

#9 mmascall, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2016
  10. 2BlingorNot

2BlingorNot
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor

DITTO TO THE PICTURES!!!!!

And, the date on new posts (within the last day or two) is in the right hand corner, but at least on my computer all the rest of the dates went away some months back. (As did the dates for when we joined the forum.)

11. AdaBeta27

AdaBeta27
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

I must be logged in to see the dates. If I browse without logging in, no dates. I see dates that members registered, under their avatars.

Ymmv, ha-ha.

12. labisbest

labisbest
    Expand Collapse

I haven't had a chance to get it set yet, but here you go!

Attached Files:

13. labisbest

labisbest
    Expand Collapse

Here are some more.

Attached Files:

14. labisbest

labisbest
    Expand Collapse

And a couple more.

Attached Files:

15. MissCassie

MissCassie
    Expand Collapse
    The Pink Orchid

Wow, that setting is beautiful! Thank you for sharing pictures of your lab diamond, it looks fantastic!

16. labisbest

labisbest
    Expand Collapse

Thank you, you're welcome, and it is!